Wow, kidney stones

Nothing to add to the title, just shamelessly drumming up sympathy.

I just bit the inside of my cheek in the same place I bit it the other night. I think your pain is probably worse, though. I hear kidney stones hurt like razor blades slicing down your urethra. Is that what it feels like?

I have a bet with Countermeasure to see who gets kidney stones first. He says my affection for drinking diet mt. dew will give me kidney stones before his affection for red meat.

Ouch.

I don’t think I’ve even gotten to the “fun” part yet, I’ve been dealing with the kidney-to-bladder journey. I’m glad I’ve got some prescription stuff now if it gets worse.

Looks nervously at the Pepsi can

Oh. I thought you were selling them.

Been there. If it’s any consolation, the journey from the kidney to the bladder is usually the worst part.

You are so gonna lose that bet too. I can’t wait to collect my money while you are doubled over in pain as a small porcupine works its way through your naughty bits.

But look at the bright side…the journey for yours will be about 6 inches shorter than mine! :)

They say they are more painful than child birth.

I’ve had one, I would agree.

Horrible pain.

That’s because most kids don’t look like small sea mines:
http://www.herringlab.com/photos/8-M98-P2.jpg

They can break these things up with sonic attacks, right?

Ouch ouch ouch.

A coworker had such terrible kidney stones that they had to look and see what was going on. Turns out that he had 2 90 degree kinks in his urethra. He needed surgery to fix that … so the next stones would have an easier time.

One of each?

Now, is a kidney stone more painful or less painful than a testicular torsion?

It’s probably the most painful thing I’ve experienced, though it wasn’t so much pain as persistent discomfort. I was writhing around for many hours and finally when I couldn’t stand it I had a friend drive me to the emergency room (had to have her stop the car so I could puke on the curb along the way). They gave me some IV painkillers that really helped and some Vicodin to go home with.

After that it wasn’t so bad. Actually passing the stone was quick and pretty painless.

I can’t remember much from my two attacks except that pethidine is a lovely, lovely drug.

I was born with a congenital disorder which caused my renal arteries to bysect my ureter (right side). It wasn’t until I was 21 and in so much pain I couldn’t stand up that I realized there was a problem and by then the kidney had atrophied so much it wasn’t viable. So… they ripped it out!

What I’m getting at here is I understand your pain and holy fucking shit do you have my sympathy :(

The main question is, “How do I prevent kidney stones?”
I really don’t want those sea mines tearing apart my sausage from the inside.

I know doctors can prescribe dietary limitations that are supposed to cut down on the risk of kidney stones. My brother took (or maybe still takes) Vitamin B6 based on a study he read indicating it lowered the risk, but I don’t think that study was universally accepted.

You nailed it. That’s how I described it to my friend, there’s a bit of conventional pain involved, but it’s more like being excruciatingly uncomfortable. Couldn’t sit still, standing up made me want to sit down, sitting down made me want to stand up, etc. After an hour or so it settled down a little bit and I thought it might be past the worst of it. I called my mother, she’s a nurse, and she confirmed my suspicions that it was likely a kidney stone (or kidney infection). Then it just started getting worse again, so again our stories are the same. I called a friend to take me to the ER, and I threw up just inside the parking lot on the way there. IV, painkillers, and I was finally ok.