Wow kids guild

My wife and I both play wow and let our kids play with us. We are both in a guild that has always been selective in who can join, and part of that is no children - or adults who act like children. We’re all, mainly, adults that this is our recreational activity, so guild chat has some things on it I don’t want my kids to read. At the same time, we joined the guild for reason, and don’t want to try and force others to censor themselves.

But we find ourselves with the predicament of wanting our kids to be in a guild. It just makes things easier to have a tag. So, as a guild, we are thinking about starting a branch for kids. It will still be run by adult guild members. The name wouldn’t imply children either, was little afraid of that. We are not advertising this as being a childrens guild either, it would look like an offshoot of our main.

So the point to this post, what aren’t we thinking of? We have a stipulation that every child that joins reads basic internet safety rules - no proper names, where you live etc.

Even with the precautions, you’re just begging for pedophiles.

++++

Introduce them to your guild as really quiet neighbours and get them in.

Edit-
And turn off guildchat on their machines.

it sounds like a good idea if you had some way of verifying the identity of applicants - having a group of administrators who only admitted children of people they knew outside WoW might be one way, but it would limit the size of the guild.

I’d be interested in getting my daughter (9 yo) into a kids’ guild but she plays at odd hours and I wouldn’t qualify as well-known enough for her to join under my own criteria.

Why have them join a guild at all? Add them to your friends list to see if they’re online. Create a chat channel for communication (type “/join marshkids” and a channel marshkids will be created, and you’ll automatically be in the channel when you log in). If you have guildmates who’d like to help your kids with the game, introduce them and have them join the channel.

I don’t think my daughter needs one but joining a “kids only” guild would give her a safe group to interact with - as she currently plays she misses out on some social aspects of the game.

I can’t help but feel that bringing young kids into an MMO is asking for trouble. It’s like bringing 8-year-olds to Vegas and thinking you can somehow shield them from all the “adult” stuff. Why put them in that situation at all when there are so many other offline games they could be playing?

Yeah I kinda gotta agree with that. If you wouldnt let your kid watch an pg-13 movie or even R ( if they figure out how to turn off the filter which they would in about 5 min of playing) then you shouldnt expose them to this.

my kids watch me play WoW all the time - my daughter asked could she play and I’m always right beside her. she plays on a RP server and I switched off the [1. GENERAL] chat channel so I think she’s pretty safe.

Disney has a kids MMO, a friend of mine at work has an 8 year old son who plays it a lot.

He was showing it to us the other day, I think the only way to ‘chat’ is by pulling down chat choices from the menu, so no free-typing. His son’s favorite chat option seems to be ‘you stink!’ So griefing starts at a young age I guess.

I think its got a monthly fee, so that would be WoW fees + ToonTown fees though, not as cheap as making an alt for the kids.

They want to play because they see mom and dad playing. They also play with us almost all of the time. There is nothing objectionable with the game itself. The reason for the tag is they get a lot of requests to join others guilds, plus as said above they miss out a lot on the social aspects. We have all the general chat turned off on their machines.

As to just creating a chat channel, we don’t have as much control over a channel like that as much as we would over a guild channel. We have around 10 kids right now that would be in the guild, plus an alt from every parent involved. All of the parents I, at least, have played with for 5+ years over a multitude of games, so it’s not like they are complete strangers. We also know real world address, jobs etc so they are known quantities. It’s not like people are joining our main guild to get into this guild. The people are already there.

If you think about a game like wow the only thing that as a parent I would find objectionable is chat, everything is just a cool game. So a kids guild gives them people to quest with. Right now we have difficulty filling out a full group so can’t do instances, harder quests etc and don’t want to do pickup groups with them.

Mind you, my kids grew up on toontown playing with their mom, and were just ready to move on. They really like this kind of game and wow seemed like the best bet.

My buddy Pete (Vash) and I actually discussed this in detail. We worked out the guild name as well, Progeny-Guild. We discussed this with a few other parents we knew, and what it boiled down to was all of us willing to devote time each day to monitor what occurs within Guild Chat, and who was invited into the guild.

Only a referall by a parent we were all familiar with, and who would also agree to devote a night to chat monitoring. none of us actually have the time to devote, as we only game about one night a wekk currently.

Over the winter though, it would be easier, but then the kids won’t be playing as they are in school.

I guess the natural question to ask is – where does this lead? Let’s say your kids enjoy playing WoW, and get to L15-20. What happens then? Do they start doing instances as a group? What happens when they’re a person short? Do they invite “outsiders”? Or do they just have to start a new character when they reach a certain level?

The problem I have with this is that, at its core, WoW and other MMOs are social games geared towards 16-40 year olds. If you put a 9-year-old into this situation, you’re either making them play a crippled version of the game where they can’t interact with other people … or they’re going to start interacting with much older people, which I can see all sorts of problems with.

When I was about 9, I played so much Asteroids in the corner store that my parents forbade me to go there any more. I’d still sneak quarters out of my mom’s purse to play, whether it was waiting for the bus in the morning or some other time. If you introduce your kids to this world, and they enjoy it, you should be fully prepared that they will figure out how to play when you’re not around, enabled chat and all. It’s what kids do. It all seems like a slippery slope to me, and an unnecessary one, considering there are so many other safer offline games available.

Yeah, I don’t think it’s going to work, topic creator. But hey, if you let them play without restrictions, it’s not like you’d be that rare, considering how many nine year olds I see playing Halo 2 :P .