WoW Massacre

Did you see this?

If this was already posted sorry!

I don’t see how it could be a big deal. It was fixed by the time I even heard about it.

I like how it was reported like a big deal, the picture of the “virtual dead” in particular.

Never forget!

I feel like this is going to be part of someone’s thesis or dissertation at some point and that picture is going to be juxtaposed next to some horrific real-life genocide.

Bleurgh.

Maybe it’s a Halloween prank. Look at all those skeletons!

The hackers must have had some insta-kill AOE to do that.

I haven’t played WoW in a while, but I’m intrigued as to how this was done. Naturally, Blizzard ain’t gonna tell us, but really, how do you do something like this in an MMO? I’m curious.

Mmos are sterilized cleanroomz.
Any aparence of life ( or dead ) is pure illusion. Except rollbacks,hacking and huge hotfix bugs that break chrs prmnly.

Theres not permadeath! Nothing can die forever!

^^ read the post over this again,and you will experience the same effect as my accidental double post

Teiman was just bundled into a black van by men in dark suits with walkie talkies.

too soon.

From the youtube videos, they actually had a GM client and (assumedly credentials) and gave themselves an “aura of death” killing anything within 20 yards.

To: [email protected]

Dear GM Bob:

We suspect your World of Warcraft administrator account may have been compromised. To help our investigation, please visit the following link and enter your Battle.NET ID, password and first pet’s name.

[…]

I was more peeved by the way the authentication servers went offline for hours after the restart Sunday. Really, Blizzard? You couldn’t do this during the middle of the day on a weekday, or at 3AM when most people are asleep? You needed to do this in the middle of the day on a weekend?

This would probably not have bugged me so much, but it was a cold, rainy day, and I’d been playing with my wife. She doesn’t get on very often.

Just bad process, not best process.

Hackers killing entire cities seems like a reasonable justification for an unscheduled prime-time outage.

Heh. That’s one GM who will probably not be a GM for long, I’m guessing. Unless they got it some other way than from an actual GM. Embarrassing, if not terribly harmful in the long run.

A brief unenlightening interview with the hacker and some fun youtube videos.

The videos were really disappointing, I was hoping for footage of hundreds of people keeling over in waves.

Damn Executus.