WoW - My Month of Naxx

We’ve had good luck having raid members put on their frost resist gear for the extra hit points. The loss in DPS/Healing seems to be more than made up for by the extra hp.

Try it again with a buddy. It’s not marked as a group quest, and it is possible to solo it, but that won’t really prepare you for Malygos. Have one drake as your damage dealer and the other as the healer.

When we get to Maly P3, we have 8 dps drakes spamming 1,1,2 (repeating) and 2 healer drakes spamming 1,1,1,1,1,4 (repeating). That seems to work really well. The single-target heal (3 key) seems to be a waste of time, so we never bother with it. Having two people heal the entire raid with the AoE heal (4 key) is all you need to surive P3 as long as everyone is on the ball with activating their shield in time if they get focused.

Also, there’s a known bug that prevents players from activating their shield if they had Malygos targeted during the P2-P3 transition. You can avoid this by having everyone target themselves or another player as soon as P2 ends.

We just had a run for Undying recently (clear 10man Naxx with nobody dying on any boss), and a druid relogged after Maexxna since he was having connection troubles. When he logged back in he found himself in Westfall with his hearthstone on cooldown, and we didn’t have a warlock, so me and another ran out to summon him and promptly got stomped by an invisible shade.

Dying to trash doesn’t disqualify you from Undying, luckily, so we released and summoned him on the way back in. As we run back, I throw on tank gear and go into Frost Presence in case the shade jumps us again. When we reach Maexx, I put DPS gear back on.

At about 10%, I get aggro because I’m still in Frost Presence and causing massive threat. I’m in DPS gear and Maexxna is enraged. Whoops!

Luckily, healers were on the ball and managed to keep me up until the tank taunted back. It’s pretty much the most embarassing thing I’ve done in WoW since The Undying is an incredibly high pressure achievement (and arguably crappy design), and I wouldn’t have known where to put my face if there had been an unlucky crit. Thank god we managed the achievement in the end.

Our standing rule for Immortal runs are if you DC on the boss, don’t log back into WoW until we give the all clear on vent. I DCd on a KT transition from P1 to P2 and sat the entire fight logged out listening on vent.

I also agree with Aces High. Make sure people that are working on Maly give that daily a bunch of tries. It will significantly help you in P3. There are also Maly mods to help with stack management if that is an issue.

Something similar happened to us when we were going for The Undying last weekend. We had saved the spider wing for last because it’s the easiest and if we were going to lose The Undying, we’d rather it be early in the raid so we could finish out the run free of stress. With no deaths yet, we had Maexxna down to about 15% when a dps DK fat-fingered a taunt ability and momentarily pulled aggro from the tank. I think my heart stopped for two seconds when I noticed Maexxna switched targets – I thought the tank had died. Luckily the DK alertly popped all his “oh shit” survival cooldowns and the MT got aggro back after a few seconds. We successfully killed Maexxna with no deaths, keeping our Undying streak alive.

Then we had a really unlucky death on Sapphiron, a boss we haven’t had any deaths on for weeks. :( Oh well, we’ll get it soon.

I lawled.

Malygos is one of those fights that went from extremely frustrating to very very fun. Once I got a handle on how the drakes worked I started to really look forward to the fight. The different phases are all interesting and maybe I’m one of the few, but I like the drakes (mostly because I can really stack up damage and end up at the top of the meters).

Heh in my first and only Malygos kill I got bursted 5 times in a row. After 4 of them I think I got so bent on getting some stacks before the fight ended, and was promptly gibbed when the 5th one came. :)

P1 and P2 are among the most intense, fun and dynamic fights I’ve ever done in WoW. P3 is easy if you know how to do it, but I can’t enjoy it because the vehicle interface is still shitty and the fight becomes an interminable series of spamming 2 skills and 1 movement key while you wait for someone to screw up.

We don’t even have our people using the shield ability. DPS drakes just DPS, healing drakes heal, and nobody dies.

/shrug

If you are good at getting out of the Static explody ball thing, you’re fine.

Same here, Aaron. We just constantly rotate counter clockwise around him nice and slow and stay bunched up for the AE heals. Even the focus thing you’re supposed to pop your shield on doesn’t get any kills unless it hits the same guy twice in a row.

/sigh

Sadly, my husband seems to have gotten “stuck” at level 75. He’s gotten his Salty title and is currently killing a bit of wildlife for feasts (to increase his cooking skill), but I doubt that Northrend flight is in his near future. Good suggestion, though.

Thanks to Lietgardis, also, for his pro tip.

Tell him to lay off the cooking until 3.1 comes out. They’re making skilling up much easier with the patch, since it’s pretty much BS to do unless you have high fishing as well right now.

Husband has already maxxed his fishing skill and thanks to killing wildlife for feasts has now reached 76. Yay!!!

He’s also suffering greatly at not being able to speak for himself. We applied to QT3 at the same time, but somehow Shimarenda was never approved to post. Please, Tom! Shim isn’t a bad sort. Really. :)

Our raid plans its first attempt on Malygos tomorrow night, and I can’t play tonight so no Aces High in advance. I’ll try an get in some practice before next week though.

Boy Malygos is hard! We just took our first serious crack at him tonight - 6 or 7 wipes over 2 hours.

We made a lot of progress. The first couple of tries, we couldn’t get him down by more than 20% before wiping. Then we made slow, steady progress. The first time we made it to phase 2, he had just hit his enrage timer. The next couple of times, he had maybe four minutes to go. Both times he enraged before we could hit phase 3 - but we did down everything in phase 2.

Additional updates: we have Naxx on farm now (the Grobbulus nerf helped); we downed Kel Thuzad on Sunday and I expect to down him again this Sunday. Malygos will probably take another couple of hours - the big thing we have to get much better at is being precise about where we kill the sparks. We can keep them from malygos pretty effectively; but we still have trouble getting them to stack just right.

We’ve struggled on Malygos too. Missed the last couple of runs, so we’ll see what happens tonight. We seem to have take a step backwards in Naxx, we were “on farm” but with dual specs and player availability we’re training up a couple of new tanks and healers and stuff we were breezing through is now a bit more of a challenge again despite packing close on 20k DPS in 10 man.

This is a fun thread. About a week after Wrath of the Lich King launched, we had an idea: we should totally start a PC Gamer UK guild, and talk about it in our magazine. The last six months have been an astonishing ride. We’ve now got over 500 members, Naxx on farm, Malygos down, OS with one drake up. This is all in ten man - even though we’ve now got around 40 level 80s, getting them online at once to raid 25 man content is a hard problem.

I thought, when we began, it would be a casual-ish guild. But the readers are setting their own pace - and it’s a big enough population for them to find their own niches. Funny bit: Blizzard’s guild interface can only cope with 500 characters. We’ve got considerably more than that, spread over 400+ accounts.

JeffD: do you have a DK on your group? It’s very handy to have one to handle the sparks since he can death grip them on top of another “dead” spark.

I also did the Malygos fight for the first time yesterday. I think i can understand that it’s a frustating fight from a healer perspective but to me(DPS), it was a totally awesome encounter on all 3 phases. We didn’t clear it though :( wiped multiple times when he was at less than 5%, once at 2.6% :|

It was cool to experience the Malygos encounter, but after having killed him once I can’t say I’m likely to do it again any time soon.

I was running my DK for this and yeah, I was attempting to do just that. The problem became that while I was doing that, it seemed to translate in the ranged folks’ minds that I was the one supposed to be killing them. It ended up just being easier to have jeffd position Malygos opposite the spark and have one ranged give a “Open fire!” order as the spark passed overhead.

Coordination was our bugbear over the first attempts; one thing I always love about raiding is that magic moment when stuff starts to “click” and massive improvements follow.

One thing I wanted to touch on that jeffd mentioned is the Grobbulus nerf that happened in 3.1. I haven’t seen any official announcement about yet, but it happened. He now drops his clouds more often and moves faster, but he doesn’t do his super quick “enrage” injections at the end anymore.

We discovered this last Sunday when we were trying to clear Naxx a second time and had 2-3 of our stable of alternates for missing regulars in who hadn’t done him yet. This usually equals 2-3 wipes as Grobby is a boss that you really have to experience to know how to handle him, especially in that last, hectic phase. We fire him up and something just seems off about him. Jeff remarked on it, and we keep blasting him. And blasting him. Eventually I notice that we’re not getting any more injections and mouse over him to check his health. He’s at about 8% and nothing’s happening.

We one-shotted him without a single death. Unheard of!

Jeff and I discussed and we’re of the opinion that while a Grobby retune was needed (since even if you did everything perfect in that fight, you might wipe because he randomly sprayed while turned to inject someone and created 6 slime adds) this much of one feels like a let down. Grobbulus used to feel like an accomplishment, now he’s just another raid boss. Looks like Kel’Thuzad is now the hardest boss in Naxx.