WoW Question: Avoiding X-roads on re-roll

After deciding that a PVP server really isn’t my bag, I’ve re-rolled on a friend’s (regular) server, Horde side.

I was just about through all the X-roads quests on my 18 priest. If I never see any of them again, I’ll be happy.

Is there a decent zone progression that ignores XR completly?

Well I have only played horde a littlebit, but I did go through the crossroads quests.

From what I gather crossroads is equal to Westfall and Loch Modain for the alliance and Silverpine for the horde. However, like westfall, silverpine has a big gap in quests levels. You can do some low level stuff in silverpine, but then you will finish it all and have a bunch of red quests left. Your only choice is crossroads or to grind mobs for a few levels.

I am pretty sure other then that, you are stuck although at 18 you are nearing the bottom rung of ashenvale and thousand needels stuff I think.

For Hordelings, there is really no effective alternative to the Barrens, though you can I’m sure, with a lot of grinding, avoid it if you really wanted to. It’s just such an effecctive way of boosting exp that leveling without taking advantage of the X-roads area would be even more torture than doing them for the umpteenth time I suspecct.

Silverpine is your only questing option.

And Silverpine has that gap DeepT mentioned. For my Undead warlock, I hit a wall in Silverpine that meant “go elsewhere” or “group up for the elite town or the instance”.

The problem with the Barrens is that everything is so far apart. I did finally get to the point where I moved on to Tarren Mill, though, so thank god.

The flight point in Camp T now makes things a bit easier, vis a vis getting from Xroads to South Barrens, but yes, it’s a wide area kinda like west Texas.

If Texas had orcs Which it may.

Does it at least get a heck of a lot more scenic after the Barrens?

AFAIK all of the horde-only zones look like either the barrens or silverpine. You get to hang out in contested zones from 20+ though so if you insist, just hang out on the eastern continent.

Personally I choose my zones based on quests. I just did a few levels in STV and I want to die… most boring kill tasks ever.

Silverpine fucking sucks. I never liked it.

The Barrens sucks the first time, but is frickin’ awesome when you reroll.

How can you not love Jorn Skyseer?

“WELCOME YOUNG WARRIOR, AS A FINAL TEST OF STRENGTH, FIND AND KILL A CLOUD SERPENT”

walk three feet outside Camp Taurajo

engage autocombat

You receive loot: [Cloud Serpent Feathers]

“CONGRATULATIONS WARRIOR, YOU HAVE PROVEN YOURSELF WORTHY”

You gain 1800 XP

problem is that the instances are around there… So if you want to group up to do the instances and quests in them, you’re stuck to the Crossroads area.

Admittedly, I’ve only taken my Horde character to level 16, but I love the Barrens so far. I certainly prefer it to Loch Modan or Redridge.

But I’m wierd that way; STV is actually my favourite zone in the game…at least once you get past the Rebel Camp/Nessingwary parts and start getting quests in BB.

If you are determined to avoid Barrens you could probably go Silverpine to Stonetalon to Tarren Mill…

How do the contested lands work on the “normal” servers? Getting ganked in there by 2 NE rogues was what did it for me on the PVP servers.

You can’t be attacked unless your PvP flag is on. Your PvP flag gets turned on by taking a hostile action (attacking enemy PCs or NPCs), helping a friendly who is PvP-enabled (healing, buffing, etc.), or voluntarily flipping it on. Once on, it stays on for (I think) 5 minutes. Essentially, contested areas on a PvE server are the same as a “green” zone on a PvP server.

Perfect. Thanks Ry.

The difference in the number of questing areas between horde and alliance is quite significant at that level. With my alliance character I did quests in Loch Modan/Westfall/Darkshore/Redridge and actually Barrens too (~10 quests from Ratchet). The horde only has Barrens and Silverpine Forest. It looks like the difference continues with Wetlands and Duskwood, but I haven’t played an alliance character beyond level 30.

Almost sounds like I’m better off with my Alliance Hunter at 14 on Argent Dawn.

I guess the next question is how many issues am I going to have with Instance invites with the Warlock. From what I’ve heard, Hunters aren’t that welcome, well, anywhere.

You can’t be attacked unless your PvP flag is on. Your PvP flag gets turned on by taking a hostile action (attacking enemy PCs or NPCs), helping a friendly who is PvP-enabled (healing, buffing, etc.), or voluntarily flipping it on. Once on, it stays on for (I think) 5 minutes. Essentially, contested areas on a PvE server are the same as a “green” zone on a PvP server.[/quote]

A couple of minor points here. Enemy guards will still attacl you even if you are ‘PVP off’ and defending yourself, or your pet defending you, will PVP enable you, other enemy NPCS have a pretty low aggro range, you can stand a few feet away from a flight master with impunity for instance. Also attacking any PVP marked NPC, not just enemy ones will enable you.

At level 38 I haven’t see any Horde quests that require you to attack friendly NPCs, but I’ve seen at least three Alliance quests that do. Two are in Stormwind so it’s no big deal, but one in Dustwallow Marsh left me PVP-on withing sneaking range of a ?? Troll Rogue.

I’ve run a fair number of instances with Locks. Heck I remember one Strat 10 man run with three of em! I like them for the “support” stuff mainly… healthstones, soulstone, and Imp/bloodpact. They aren’t going to be in demand the way priests are but they don’t seem to be locked out of instance stuff, at least not on Bronzebeard.