WOW Raiding

Same deal with me. I’ve done one or two honest instances, but that’s on the very rare saturday when I can just sit down and ignore the world all day.

The problem is that while you may be able to complete an instance in two hours, the fact is that it takes 30 minutes to an hour just to prepare a group for the instance, and then gather there.

I probably play 2-3 hours per night and that is almost never uninterrupted time, and my wife, her parents, my parents, my wife’s friends, and anybody I mention it too all say this is WAAAAAAAAAAAY too much time to play a computer game.

Sounds to me like there are other issues there.

I bet its ok to sit down and watch TV for 2 hours at a time though right?

Why is this always the argument that crazed 60 loving catasses always fall back on?

Is it not okay to say “I don’t want to play a game for more than two hours at a sitting”?

On top of that, some of us have other things that take up our time, like jobs.

TV is

• more social in that you can see your companions and talk to them during the show without missing much (and without turning around)

• punctuated with commercial breaks

• easier to drop when something comes up because you’re not two hours deep in an instance with a group of 4 other people counting on you to finish with them

So yes, 2 hours of TV is more easily accepted than 2 hours of WoW. And again, 2 hours of WoW is not really enough to get a good instance group going unless you schedule it ahead of time with a cohesive group and run an instance that is easy for your skill/equipment level.

Why is this always the argument that crazed 60 loving catasses always fall back on?

Is it not okay to say “I don’t want to play a game for more than two hours at a sitting”?

On top of that, some of us have other things that take up our time, like jobs.[/quote]

Its not an argument. I am simply saying that most people feel that playing any game for more then 2 hours at a time is excessive where as watching TV is A ok!

So yes, 2 hours of TV is more easily accepted than 2 hours of WoW. And again, 2 hours of WoW is not really enough to get a good instance group going unless you schedule it ahead of time with a cohesive group and run an instance that is easy for your skill/equipment level.

Actually you can do a DM guild run in a little over an hour I think the most one has taken me was about 2 hours and thats because we wiped a few times and it took a while to get there.

That would be the aforementioned prearranged cohesive group attacking an easy instance, yes?

I’ve been playing WoW since it first came out. I only have 1 level 60, but have 3 40+ alts and several other 20+ alts.

I’ve found that once I got the one character to level 60 (it took a looong time, since I play my alts a lot) he was able to roughly double his game play time without any boredom setting in, according to my timetracker add-on that shows me in despair-inducing terms just how much time I’ve frittered away on each character.

There is a lot of stuff out there for Level 60 players in groups. That’s the whole issue. It all revolves around grouping once you hit 60. The solo adventure is reduced to grinding for cash to afford some or the other new high-level project, like fancy patterns or gear. If you want the adventure and phat lewts you need to group with 5-40 people to do it, and that can be a bit of a pain.

Raising the level cap doesn’t bother me, since it holds the promise of more bountiful solo adventuring past 60, giving even more life to my characters. couple that with the new high-level instances and you might be able to double your enjoyment before getting bored of a player again.

In any event, I am working to get my 2nd level 60 character now, because i want to see how different “end game” content is from the point of view of a different class. I notice the mid-level content can play very differently with different classes.

Shrug. The game hasn’t bored me yet.

Actually no never. They are guild groups though so that does help a lot.

Shit I did a pick up group for maraudoon last week and we killed 5 mini bosses and the princess in a little over an hour and thats with the time it took us to get everyone together.

Setting aside time isn’t that big of a deal. Many (non-Tivo) people do it for TV shows all the time.

Simply set up a night with people in your guild to group up and do an instance.

Even if you don’t have set time you still can often find a couple group forming for an instance in your Capital city. Yea not every time you’ll find one that gets put together in time, but you could get lucky. Not to mention you could be out doing your own thing and still join general or LFG chat in other zones listening for groups looking for your class…

I’d love to slay the dragon. I’m just not going to invest 40+ hours in doing so. I play WoW in two hour chunks, max. And that kills any chance of me ever doing instances.[/quote]

Actually, you can slay Onyxia in around two hours if your raid knows what it’s doing. It’s sort of the exception when it comes to raid instances.

Also, since your progress is saved in the raid instances until they reset, you can just do a portion of a raid and call it quits for the night and pick up again a night or two later. You can do a couple of the Zul’Gurub bosses in two hours.

I’d love to slay the dragon. I’m just not going to invest 40+ hours in doing so. I play WoW in two hour chunks, max. And that kills any chance of me ever doing instances.[/quote]

I used to watch 2, maybe 3 football games a week. I used to watch some network TV also. Now I don’t, and don’t miss it either.

That is pretty much all it takes. Go go raidlocks. I have essentially the best gear in the game, and raid at most 15 hours a week. I’m online maybe double that, but almost all of the rest is semi-afk chatting or helping out friends. I don’t really do, or have any interest in anything but raiding. I have no alts, rarely do BGs (CP farming is far too time consuming), rarely bother with quests ect.

I would say that a fairly large percentage of people that are going to be playing a MMORPG at all can make that kind of time, and if you look at the numbers of raidgroups in MC/ZG/BWL on most servers every night, a great many people are doing just that.

Have you ever actually played one of these games? You can’t even get six people to the entrance in under an hour.

once you get familiar with ZG you can do all the way up to and including Hakkar in 3 hours.
(minus Bloodlord and Hexxer)

Problem with having only 90min or 2 hours, and only taking out 2 bosses in ZG, is that many people would want to keep going. Not to mention it might be hard to get that same set of people to go in to the same instance later on to continue the raids progress. and new people wouldn’t necessarily want to go, because they missed out on the first couple of bosses.

There’s quite a bit of shorter content. It’s just a matter of finding people to do it with you. that’s the kicker.

You must be grouping with the wrong people because if it ever takes over 30 min to get the shit together I bail because its all down hill from there.

I don’t see the time commitment for raiding as being 100% catassery. My guild clears MC in about 4 hours, and BWL in about 7-10 hours (over 2-3 nights). Given that most people only log on for MC/BWL, the amount of time you have to invest for raids isn’t too ridiculous.

I see this as the equivalent of people who get home from work and want to sit down in front of the TV with a few beers and watch Jeopardy all the way through CSI (or whatever) 3-5 nights a week. I don’t even think it’s as hardcore as people who buy Sunday Ticket and watch 10 consecutive hours of football every Sunday. And I know quite a damn few of those people. Hell, I used to be one of them.

Yes, you have to be hardcore if you want to be one of the first guilds to learn a dungeon (as opposed to waiting for a video to come out). But once the learning phase is over, raiding actually requires less of a time investment than most people put into their “casual leveling.”

My guild clears MC in about 4 hours, and BWL in about 7-10 hours (over 2-3 nights). Given that most people only log on for MC/BWL, the amount of time you have to invest for raids isn’t too ridiculous.

Yeah we did a full MC run this sunday and we started at 3 and finished by 8. Not too bad but not something I would do every sunday thats for sure.

You can pause/abandon TV at any time without worrying about letting down 4-39 people who have been counting on you for hours. MMO raids have a strong “not now honey” component to them that can be serious trouble.

My longest instance ever was probably 3 hours in Wailing Caverns before I went to bed at 1 am - we were nowhere near the end.

My longest instance ever was probably 3 hours in Wailing Caverns before I went to bed at 1 am - we were nowhere near the end.

3 hours!? Is that even possible? That place is not even that big.

Also no guild I have ever raided with gave me shit if I said I had to log off at a specific time. People accept it as it is and you are not letting them down. /shrug

Yeah, I was in a pickup group where maybe one person had ever seen the end of WC before. We didn’t know our way around, and most of us didn’t have maps.

I suppose raiding is easier if you do it with guildies, but that’s not really possible before level 50 or so for most of us. Low-level characters are just too spread out. My guilds are always broken up with about 50% level 60s who raid together 24/7 and the rest is an even sprinkling throughout the levels. Finding 4 people near my level to raid with online at once would be a miracle.

It also depends on the policies of your guild. You can skip watching a TV episode without getting kicked out of your circle of friends, but don’t even think about failing to show up for Thursday’s raid…

(I’m thinking more of EQ here though; I haven’t yet gotten high enough in WoW to see if they get just as ‘hardcore’ or not.)