WoW: We'll open the gate for 5,000 gold

This is an interesting development.

So about these gates | 2/19/2006 6:47:37 PM PST

It’s obvious that the responibility of opening these gates lies soley on us, Imperial Order. We are not ignorant to the notion that without our champion Nimic ringing the gong, it will take a lot longer than everyone had intended for the gate to open.

How much longer remains to be seen, maybe as long as TKT or Phoenix takes to grind carapaces? I don’t know their plans, so it may be even longer than that.

So why not now? This is a common and valid question. The gates CAN be opened right now, but we’re not going to.

Why not? The most natural and unhelpful answer is that we choose not to. It won’t happen today, it won’t happen tomorrow, after maitenence, and it probably won’t happen the day after that.

So when? We can’t answer that, for the answer lies within all of you. We do want to see this new content, but we also have many other plans in mind. Like any guild, we like being notorious, remembered.

Nobody remembers the fair and quietly intelligent people we meet in their daily lives, but everyone remembers those who ruin their day.

We’ll have plenty of time to conquer this new content, but for now we see an endless novelty in holding it hostage. And this is what we will continue to do: Hold it hostage.

So now the gates truly lie in your hands. In order to open the gate, we are demanding 5,000 gold. Please send it to Aqransom, one of our banks, and we will tally up the money. Once we gain this money, we will open the gates.

If you are horde, use the nuetral bank to transfer your money. We don’t want to have to pay the bank cut.

We would apologize for this great injustice on the server, but I personally feel it would fall on deaf ears.

So get farming. The next step in this new content is purely up to you.

Link

If this happened in EVE, I’d praise their entrepreneurial spirit. As it’s WoW however I’d say ban their arses. Either way I’d tell them to stuff it.

Why would they ban them? They are really not doing anything wrong.

I smell a disolved guild in the making!

That’s awesome, almost makes me want to play WoW.

If only you could gather up a huge mob and storm their territory tp steal the key or something.

Sadly, after a day or so, they claimed it was all a joke.

I still hoping it isn’t.

Yeah that’s why I said it would be OK in EVE, because rival guilds could declare war on them, gank their arses off, steal their stuff etc., until they capitulated. In WoW it’s outside the players’ control, they can sit safe in IF until they get their way, so IMO it’s an exploit.

Edit: OK, if they claim it was a joke, they could be telling the truth or backtracking like hell because Blizzard leaned on therm.

I think it would’ve been best if Blizzard flagged everyone in the guild as being ‘in an arena’.

so IMO it’s an exploit.

Why? Anyone can get the parts needed to open the gates if they really wanted to take the time to do it.

I like the idea of flagging all guild members “free for all” and letting their own faction greif the hell out of them for a while.

That aside, the actual statement is “We spend all this time grinding rep to be able to open the gate, and now we’re going to wait. We’re waiting to ‘punish’ you all and keep from this content that you weren’t going to be able to get to anyway if we hadn’t done all this legwork. So we’re basically sticking it to the man, if you consider us the man.”

Brilliant.

It’s like if I went to the store to buy ice cream, and got home and told the family “Not only will I not eat this, but I will not let you eat any, either!”

Hooray, I guess. You win. Or something.

When did they say it was a joke? This is awesome, and if they didn’t follow through they’re all weenies.

Chris Woods

It’s an interesting perspective. They basically admitted the action was mostly meaningless. Someone else will do it, all they would get is a small kudos for opening the gate, which would be forgotten almost instantly.

I guess the five million MMOG question, what’s the use of an achievement if it gains you little to nothing that you would have gotten already?

It’s like if I went to the store to buy ice cream, and got home and told the family “Not only will I not eat this, but I will not let you eat any, either!”

Hooray, I guess. You win. Or something.

“Better to reign in hell, than to serve in heaven” might be closer.

A couple of pages in the thread.

Well someone towards the end says its not a joke and the gates are still not opened so /shrug

So I assume that, when the player who has the gong-ringer-thingy (GRT) is offline, the GRT is offline with him?

Otherwise, what would make the most sense, and be an excellent in-universe gameplay response, would be for the rest of the players in the realm to band together, hunt down this guild and the dude with the GRT, kill them mercilessly, and then use the GRT to ring the gong.

Items of great import like that should have to stay in the game… If you log off, you either have to give it to another player, or hide it/lock it up somewhere till you get back.

The GRT is the result of a series of quests. Anyone who has the wherewithal to kill the quest mobs (a not-insubstantial feat) and complete the other types of quest steps (also a not-insubstantial feat) can get the GRT.

Basically, if what they say is true, and they are the only ones who are going to be able to ring the gongs any time soon, most of the other people are also going to be incapable of appreciating the raid content they’d open up in the first place.

Alternatively, if there are other folks who could ring the gong, they should get off their asses and do the quest themselves and go ring the gong themselves if it bothers them so much.

GRT holder would probably be in the safe zones of the game, and PVP is no drop, I think. You can’t kill people of your own realm.

Anyone can get the gong ringer, it’s just a crap load of work, and the second closest guild needs 100s of items to complete the gong.

Basically, if what they say is true, and they are the only ones who are going to be able to ring the gongs any time soon, most of the other people are also going to be incapable of appreciating the raid content they’d open up in the first place.

Well, yes and no. Opening the gates makes two new dungeons available. The 40-man instance is on par with BWL in terms of difficulty (and eventually becomes harder than BWL, I’ve heard; we’re only on the third boss thus far). So anyone who isn’t capable of completing the scepter quests (which includes having to clear BWL in under five hours) will not have any success in AQ40. The 20-man instance, OTOH, is not particularly challenging. I’d rank it slightly easier than ZG; my guild was able to take down the last boss on our third night raiding the place.

Personally, I love the stunt.

Sounds like a non-story to me. I don’t see why they should be under some obligation to open the thing. If someone else wants to go do it, then they should. Now if their holding the thing prevented someone else from openeing the gate, I’d understand.