WOW! XM Radio buys rights for all MLB games

This will be a huge deal monetarily for stations throughout the nation and for fans who will be able to listen to any game from anywhere. How long until XM is the standard rather than that weird thing that sounds too good to be true.

Li-zink.

Is this an exclusive deal, or will I still be able to subscribe to listen to games via the net?

I don’t think it is an exclusive, but I imagine the ad dollars generated for radio stations that air the games now will drop if there is another option. Not sure how that will affect the airing of games on stations who have already paid millions for the rights. Lawsuits to follow.

I may get one of those things

That’s almost enough to get me to pick one up.

The very local Tigers affiliate has them like 4th on the totem pole (below the Red Wings, who won’t interfere this year), Nascar (which means I often can’t get the weekend games), okay so 3rd not 4th. The flagship is just far enough away I can’t get it clearly.

I’d listen to nothing but baseball when I’m in the car, if I could. It’s possibly the perfect radio sport.

I currently get the MLB internet package, but it’s a hassle to drag my laptop into the bedroom if I want to listen to games as background noise while I go to sleep. I could get one of those “car/home” deals and go to town.

Hmm…

I don’t know if you read the whole article, but they are adding a 24hr. all baseball network.

I don’t know if you read the whole article, but they are adding a 24hr. all baseball network.[/quote]

What do you talk about in December on a 24 hour all baseball network?

You’re not a baseball fan, are you?

I did see that, Ty. I’m not so much a fan of talking ABOUT baseball as I am about listening to play-by-play. Vin Scully (who might only do TV now), John Miller (when not made stupid by Joe Morgan), Ernie Harwell (who retired, goddamit).

So much of talk about baseball is littered by ex-players who are blinded by anecdotal experience and they just talk nonsense. Though I’d give it a try if I do go that route. I’ve got 6 months or so. :)

Pshaw, what do you know?

Derek Jeter is a clutch player who’s great on defense and knows how to win.

And, like Jon Kruk said, Chone Figgins is the league MVP.

Hm … XM has baseball and their #1 competitor will have Howard Stern …

XM already has Opie and Anthony, which IMO are much better than Howard Stern. :P

And wasn’t one of them developing a Playboy Sattelite Channel? No idea what would be on that.

Hilarious, Steve.

It’s almost painful to watch Dibble/Kruk/Reynolds/Brantley on BBTN. I love Dibble about 80% of the time when I listen to the Dan Patrick Show. Not suprisingly, the 18% of that last 20% is when he’s spouting moronic “realities” about baseball.

Thank god Jeter make like 400 errors in the postseason this year. Stops the press from blowing him for being a great defender, which we know is utter crap.

Like with his trip into the stands. That’s not a special defensive play. It’s a routine play followed by a suicidal lack of self-preservation. He’s gutty and has heart, and that’s great. He’s a good hitter and a below average SS who should have moved to 2B so A-Rod could play SS and put some warm body at 3B.

By most measures, he was actually above average this year.

He’s a good hitter and a below average SS who should have moved to 2B so A-Rod could play SS and put some warm body at 3B.

I find it hard to get too worked up over the Jeter love, since he’s a good ballplayer who always plays hard, never gives up, is a terrific baserunner, and rarely makes high-profile mistakes.

However, this whole “clutch” thing… his lifetime post season average is almost identical to his regular numbers. And now he’s hitting about .260 in LCS games.

And yes, he should have either moved to 3B or 2B.

I don’t have a problem with Jeter, either. I’d want him on my team for all the reasons you mentioned, plus he seemed like possibly the only guy who hadn’t given up when they were down 6-0 in game 7.

My problem is with the hype he gets (not his fault).

That’s +2 for XM -2 for Sirius.