Wrath of Man (Guy Ritchie) - Jason Statham has a particular set of skills

I dunno, lots of suspense and plot development in Crank 2, maybe Ritchie is the problem.

Ugh is right.

What about Revolver?

It was an awful Guy Ritchie/Jason Statham slow burn.

So Ritchie hasn’t gotten any better in 15+ years.

I actually like some Guy Ritchie movies, but mainly for their frenetic pace and energy. Rock n’ Rolla, Snatch, and of course, Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels come to mind.

-Tom

I didn’t mind The Gentlemen. It was to Snatch what Logan Lucky was to Ocean’s 11. Competent, fun, and (relatively) low stakes.

Two Smoking Barrels is still probably my favorite of his.

I like MOST of Guy Ritchies. Except Revolver … U.N.C.L.E. was great, too. Very over the top hommage. And the second Holmes is one of my favourites. They are highly rewatchable movies.
So this Wrath of Man is more a Revolver type of movie?

I liked that one assassin guy from Revolver but yeah that movie is total garb.

Wow, I liked it, really liked it. The music was effective and worked perfect. Overall a little bit too brutal, and Statham was kind of a one trick pony and didn’t really have an arc, but I felt involved and tense, and a little bit of non linearity is always appreciated. I thought it had good pacing, and I was involved all the time.

Also it helped, that the bad guys were grounded in reality. I watched a trailer for the new Bond, and I feel the Bond villain will annoy me to death. Why is it that the Bond villains get shorter and shorter? Bardem, Waltz and this new guy looked smalish, too. Jeffrey Donovan did a great job as opponent.

Maybe I need to give Revolver another shot.

I am glad I didn’t need to watch Free Guy…

after a nights sleep, I think Statham really was quite stiff, wooden in the movie. Like no expression what so ever in the whole movie. Strange character. I think the director wanted it that way, maybe they were going for some kind of John-Wick type of character “arc” … The supporting actors were more alive and interesting, I have to say.

Does Statham have expressions other than grimace?

he didn’t even show his A game grimace, he was barely acting. When his son was alive, he was acting like Dougie was already dead. Maybe that’s a new thing, forecast acting.

Wrath of Man works better if you think of it as a Jeffrey Donovan movie that happens to have Statham prowling around on the periphery.

As I’ve said many times, Statham has two facial expressions: “I’m about to kick your ass” and “I just kicked your ass”. The only difference between them is how tightly he holds his jaw.

-Tom

Wow, I never realized the guy from Burn Notice got other parts. Well, that’s not entirely true, he did show up in one season of Fargo.

He was also great in Sicario.

From a mere 20 posts upthread:

I actually had no idea about Burn Notice and Fargo. It never occurred to me he was just a TV actor.

-Tom, also just a TV actor

In my defense, I might’ve had a couple of beers before posting that. But he’s so good in it, he’s worth mentioning twice.

[quote=“tomchick, post:38, topic:151674, full:true”]

From a mere 20 posts upthread:

Must be how you got the… Chick :)