Wreck-It Ralph

I thought she did quite a good job on The Good Wife last season.

Similarly, while I’m rarely in the mood for her usual schtick, I’ve liked Sarah Silverman in a couple different things – although I did have to consciously “forget” that it was “her,” so to speak.

But I like Maria Bamford a lot – and I’d love to see her get more quality work – so I totally sympathized with Djscman’s chagrin on thinking it was her and discovering it was Silverman instead.

Yeah, I agree with CourteousD, and apologize to Hugin. I have liked Sarah in the past! Sarah was great in the Ben Stiller Show. She was hilarious in the Aristocrats: like in this movie, she played an exploitable character. Jesus Is Magic was okay. Then, for me, her returns began to diminish. She probably has cooties. The scissoring PSA was funny, though.

The night before I saw Wreck-It Ralph, I saw an older Comedians of Comedy special, and remembered how funny Maria can be. I was excited when I thought it was her in Ralph, finding a role that was so suited to her stage act, hopefully providing a nice boost to her career like Ratatouille did for Patton Oswalt.

Being wrong is sad, and the actual product is usually better than the imaginary product. It was the Skyfall trailer all over again. (The villain is not played by JCVD.)

Silverman did do a great job in this movie. I thought all the voice acting was superb.

I’m a fan of Bamford too, her comedy albums are great stuff.

Wait, what?!

I suppose you believed she had universal appeal? Nobody does.

Degeneres was OK in the stand-up days, but I found her sitcom tedious and her persona tiresome. And no, I don’t enjoy the sound of her voice.

This thread had made me want to see it but I didn’t know if my kids, particularly my 16 yo daughter, would want to. Instead she informed me that she had been wanting to see it but none of her friends would go with her. So she and I went and had a great time. Really tickles the right buttons for someone like me (45 yo, avid arcade gamer in the day).

Alan Tudyk kills it as King Candy but there is no way going in that you would recognize him because of the vocal ‘homage’ he is doing. He sounds like the Mad Hatter from the Disney animated classic, right? (And justifiably so because Wreck-It Ralph is a Disney title.) I would not have recognized the name Ed Wynn if you’d spotted it for me but he’s an old Vaudeville-era comic who perfected ‘that’ voice for his character “The Perfect Fool” for a play by that name back in 1921. Ed Wynn had a long and storied career as both a comedian and serious actor, on stage, screen, radio and TV before he died in 1966 but as The Perfect Fool his vocal style lives forever.

Yes, that is it! I was trying to place why he sounded so familiar and I am sure that is why.

Also, it was driving me crazy trying to remember where I had heard the “my man, my main man” in that voice when Vanellope was trying to convince Ralph. I just figured it out - Dom Irerra from Dr. Katz.

I’m gonna wreck it!

Well, obviously not, of course. However, her character in this movie was considered by many as one of the highlights so shocking to hear that it actually detracted from the movie for someone, despite how you feel about her elsewhere.

I really enjoyed the animation choices that were made for some of the side characters in this. The Niceland apartment dwellers all moved in straight lines and 90 degree angles and at less of a frame rate than other characters. It doesn’t necessarily make sense that Ralph, Felix, and others don’t do this (except when Felix is performing “game” actions), but something about it really intrigued me. I also chuckled at the Pac Man Ghost’s movements during the group meeting.

It makes me wonder why/if any other animated films have gone this route of actually adjusting the timing of character movements to differentiate characters and/or their states of being. Particularly in animation, the characters don’t all have to move at the exact same fluid rates all the time. Any other films play with this notion?

Just saw this today, loved every second of it, including the short at the beginning. Definitely owning this on Blu-ray.

For those that haven’t seen it, the Paperman short is now on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aTLySbGoMX0

Aawwww, yay, that was sooo cute.

I thought it was really lovely.
The ending…

was nicely understated; no big kiss or anything.

Just fantastically creative. It appeals to non-gamers as well, my wife loved it, and she never played any of the arcade games of the period. So QBert was lost on her, but still amusing because of the QBert speech.

Hopefully now that this is out for home release more people will watch it.

I resemble this remark. Just watched it tonight. I enjoyed it, but not as much as some of the other kids-oriented animated films (such as Monsters Inc). The video game references were great, and I liked Ralph a lot, but something about Vanellope rubbed me the wrong way. Silverman’s voice, maybe? I dunno, just didn’t enjoy the character. Still, overall a fun movie well worth watching, especially if you know some of the old game references. If I had a kid who wanted to see it, I’d make her play Q*Bert, Pac Man, etc before watching it so she’d get the references. :)

Me and my kids watched this, and loved it - so much fun! I was initially concerned about the gamer angle, meaning it was mostly for gamers, but not so. It was quite well done and we had a blast watching it!

You mean you weren’t sold by the Rihanna song? I was looking forward to this movie, but that scene alone ruined it for me.