WTC Rebuilding Plans include Gameworks Arcade

Officials Unveil WTC Rebuilding Plans
Tue Jul 16, 7:04 AM ET
By KAREN MATTHEWS, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK (AP) - Plans for rebuilding the World Trade Center include memorials, office space, cultural centers, and a three-story Gameworks arcade, but none of the six potential designs would include buildings as high as the fallen twin towers, officials familiar with the proposals said.

Proposals to be released Tuesday call for replacing the 11 million square feet of office and retail space lost on Sept. 11 with a cluster of buildings much shorter than the 110-story towers, said the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

They said each of the six plans includes a substantial memorial to the victims of the attacks. The officials said four of the plans would keep clear the ground once occupied by the towers, while the fifth includes an amusement center tentatively titled “The Ground Zero Arcade.”

The New York Times reported Tuesday that all of the plans include a central memorial park that could take up as much as a third to two-thirds of the 16-acre trade center site.

I don’t know about you, but I can’t think of a better way to remember the victims of 9/11, then with a rousing game of “Dance Dance Revolution”.

Three stories, huh? That’s a lotta ski-ball machines.

an amusement center tentatively titled “The Ground Zero Arcade.”

That is so working title it’s not even funny. I’ll eat my hat if that name doesn’t get changed.

I read in Entertainment Weekly that the title of Eight Legged Freaks was taken from a David Arquette ad-libbed line. “Get back, you eight legged freaks,” he said during one take. Someone liked the sound of that and it made its way to the title. The movie has been shot under the working title of “Arach Attack”, but the studio knew all along they would have to change it because it sounded too much like “Iraq Attack”.

-Tom