WTF is up with Amazon Prime lately?

My classical orchestral and chamber music purchases are always on CD. I’ve bought the occasional pop tune in high-bitrate .mp3 though.

I will admit to owning a number of Manowar albums that could be classified as “several.”

But I mean, did you SEE that dude’s stache? No shame in that man, not one bit.

Amazon and iTunes don’t even list the composer when buying mp3s. They are completely useless for classical music.

On another topic, Amazon can’t seem to get its act together with 2nd day shipping. If the item is sold by Amazon itself, it usually arrives on time. If it is sold by a different retailer thru the Prime program, it can take more than a week. In the early days of Prime, when I had an item not arrive for a long time, they would apologize and extended my Prime subscription by a month. Now, they don’t apologize and only offer to send the item again.

Note that Prime doesn’t guarantee 2-day delivery on all items, simply free shipping. If something is out-of-stock or simply ineligible, you’ll get it whenever you get it. This can be confusing because most people (myself included) see the “Prime!” icon on an item and automatically think “Ooh! Two-day shipping!”

This was driven home to me just this past week when I ordered a set of four rotors and brake shoes. I got free shipping, but the item isn’t in stock - estimate is middle of next month. I’d be annoyed, but the flippin’ package will weigh north of 90 pounds! I tried to figure out how much that would cost to mail and broke the USPS online calculator (which doesn’t go over 70 lbs.) at something akin to $300.

To be precise, Prime items (not all items on Amazon or even sold by Amazon are Prime) are guaranteed to go out by two day shipping service. Actual delivery in two days is, of course, not always certain or possible.

How about when under the “Buy now with 1-click” button it says something like “Get it by Monday free”? Then the estimated delivery date is listed as Monday? And it says “only X number left in stock” so you’re supposed to think they’ve got that many in stock? That seems like a whole lot of false advertising if Amazon (or the Prime affiliate) doesn’t have it in stock and will only ship it when they get it themselves.

Yeah, when it says something is in stock (as in the case of my OP), and it’s not something that weighs more than a few pounds, it should be in my hands two days later, period.

90% of anything I order marked “Prime” is in my hands in two days.
When they have an extra banner on the page stated “Guaranteed delivery by such-and-such date if you order before 2:00pm” or something like that, I always get it on the date specified, and sometimes a day sooner, i.e. one day. Maybe I’ve just been lucky.

There have been instances when it was going to take a week or so for whatever reason, but they would always email me if that were going to happen, and ask if I wanted to cancel.

90% sounds about right. I guess I’m a “I paid $79 for a full glass, so it shouldn’t be 10% empty” kind of customer.

Are you saying that 1 out of 10 packages that you order, marked will arrive by date, are later? I’d say I’m damn near 100% on those, as Giles seems to be. I’ll occasionally get items in 3 days, but that’s pretty rare and I don’t ever remember it happening on items that I order early enough in the day.

Do you live in a relatively remote part of the country?

Likewise I can’t recall anything I’ve purchased via Prime (either directly from Amazon or fulfilled by Amazon) arriving late. It is likely a YMMV situation based on location and the reliability of delivery services in your area.

I have packages arrive late semi-routinely, but it’s because even though the package is on their delivery vehicle and could easily have been delivered on the correct day, the driver decided not to. Actual shipping issues are vanishingly rare in my experience. And there’s absolutely no recourse to get the driver to just deliver the damn package, as far as I have been able to discern.

No, Kindle First is a separate program from the lending library. It’s a selection of four brand new Amazon published books monthly that are made available on a limited basis a month prior to their actual release date. Prime primary account holders can get one of those books permanently for free, anyone else pays $2.

So far, I haven’t been at all interested in reading any of the Kindle First books.

I usually can find one that looks worth a try, but there’s been a few months where nothing looked at all interesting to me. Some have been pretty good, some fairly meh, maybe one stinker. A mixed bag for sure, but I’ve gotten a few decent reads.

They really don’t seem to target my usual reading beat (SF and fantasy) much at all. Which was true for the Daily Deals too, initially, and then they implemented a SF&F specific daily deal and my wallet hasn’t been safe since.

Anyone try Prime Pantry?

I haven’t had the chance to compare it against standard prime shopping or subscribe and save to see if it will be much of a benefit.

I’ve browsed it, but I’m not seeing much that I typically buy apart from some household supplies and brand-name snacks. For those things, Target looks to be cheaper, and I’ll still be going there every couple of weeks anyway.

I ordered something through Prime on Friday which arrived on Sunday afternoon. Since when is Sunday delivery a thing?

Going by personal experience, never.