WTF is up with Amazon Prime lately?

Not really Prime related but I recently just got hit with some sort of fraud on my Amazon account that I don’t understand. In the past week two separate orders for Xbox One devices were made on my account and sent to a recipient in Portland, Oregon that I’ve never heard of. The order total for the orders was $0 each time, so I was charged nothing but needless to say seeing orders I didn’t make on my account freaked me out.

I contacted Amazon via chat, the CS guy forwarded my concern to their security team who did an investigation and found “no problem” though I told them I don’t know the person listed as a recipient and never made the orders listed. I then contacted Amazon via phone and based on that it seems like these were “replacement orders” (from two orders I did really make in the past, back in late April). I informed them that I never requested replacements for those orders, didn’t understand why they would send replacements more than a month after the initial order to an address that has never been associated with my account and was told they would re-open the investigation.

I’ve changed my Amazon password and I’m considering removing my credit cards from my account just in case.

Is Amazon order replacement fraud a “thing”? Has anyone else run into this?

I actually have heard of that before. Usually with an order number and a little social engineering, people have managed to get “replacement” goods sent to them from other people’s accounts. Which, I’m sure, is exactly what happened here.

Yeah I’ve been googling it for the past 20 minutes and found some hits, mostly back from 2012. Even the address used for mine is basically the same as the Portland, OR address listed here (other than suite number):

http://www.htmlist.com/rants/two-for-one-amazon-coms-socially-engineered-replacement-order-scam/

Recepient for my orders is:

Eden Isackov
13820 NE Airport Way
Suite #K69921
Portland, OR 97230
United States
Phone: 610-793-3485

Compared to (for the link):

Mr Chris Cardinal
13820 NE Airport Way
K5981
Portland, Oregon 97230
United States
Primary Phone: 647-234-1819

I guess this address is some sort of remailer service that is useful for disguising actual destination addresses. You would think Amazon would have put in some block for using that address for replacement requests, but I guess not.

I’m now slightly less freaked out but still concerned this may impact my ability to request actual replacements in the future should it be needed. Fix yo’ shit, Amazon!

I’m baffled that they seem so damn eager to ship expensive replacement items to somewhere other than an address that’s at least listed on the account in question, if not the address of the original shipment. And you would think 2+ years on they would have a block on an address that’s been used for fraud before.

Awesome!

I’m not sure if this means I can discontinue my Rhapsody account, though. In spot checking, it is kind of hit and miss on what I listen to (though most of what I checked on I already own).

Yeah, the small catalog size is a real bummer on it, but I’m hoping it turns into something great with time. I do listen to enough unpopular metal that even Spotify’s massive selection doesn’t always pan out for me, so definitely have like 5% of the selection they do is sub-optimal. Then again, it’s included in the Prime I already have, soooo

Yeah, it’s not AT ALL gonna turn me off of Spotify/Pandora, at this point in time, but it’s totally an added value to something that I pay for already, so I’m certainly not complaining. We’ll see where it goes long-term.

Once Universal signs on it should open things up.

I recently added about 20 albums to my Prime music library. That sorta pays for Prime right there. I’ll be adding more of course. They don’t have a lot of albums that I’d like but OTOH they have plenty that I want as well. This is essentially driving music. Aux connect my iPhone to my car stereo and I’m happy to miss annoying commercial breaks. Pretty cool.

Amazon is cracking down on sharing. They’ve reduced the number to two people.

Here’s the big rule:

Note: In order to share content, Prime benefits, and Amazon Mom benefits, both adult account holders need to authorize each other to use credit and debit cards associated with their Amazon accounts for purchases on Amazon. This will not affect either of their current payment settings, but each adult will be able to copy the credit and debit cards of the other account to his or her Amazon account and use them for purchases with Amazon.

This means the person you’re sharing Prime with can see all your card info, so you’d better really trust that person. Think twice before sharing Prime with your college roomie.

Ok, I feel like I’m way behind here. You can share your Amazon Prime benefits? Do you have to be at the same physical address, or could I split the cost of Prime with a family member in another state? What benefits aren’t shared?

I used to think you had to be at the same delivery address, but my brother who lived with me moved out over two years ago, changed his billing and delivery addresses and there’s never been a problem.

You can share the free shipping and stuff, but not the video. I’m on a shared account with one of my besties, and thankfully since we already have an account, this sharing stuff won’t affect us.

Thanks for the info, Brian–I figured it had to be something like that.

According to the Amazon website:

The following Prime benefits can be shared with other household members:

Prime shipping benefits
Prime Instant Video (streaming only)
Kindle Owners' Lending Library
Prime Early Access

So it looks like instant video is included now?

I dunno, I just logged into the instant video site and it was like:

Still wanted $99, so it’s not lookin’ like.

Previously you could share the shipping but not the Instant Video (in that the shared accounts did not have their own login, whether they cracked down on simultaneous streaming from the primary account owner’s login I’m not sure. I let my sister use mine, but we both use it so rarely I doubt we’ve ever tried to watch anything simultaneously).

According to The Verge’s story, if you were already sharing the shipping and don’t mess with your settings, it will stay as is (without sharing payment options and whatnot). So presumably if you’re grandfathered in on the old plan, that would still not give Instant Video access to anyone but the primary account owner.

Crappy prime day sales and now this. Amazon is really on a roll there.

You gonna stop buying stuff from amazon?

No, but i will complain about it on some random internet forum that nobody high up from amazon reads.