WTF Royal Family - Harry and Meghan's interview with Oprah

I don’t know, but certainly there is a long history of exoticizing and fetishizing the other in European culture. Indigenous peoples from all over the world were brought back by colonialists and imperialists to London and Paris and whatnot, to be exhibited like animals in a zoo. Europeans appropriated the likeness and cultural artifacts of indigenous peoples to decorate their maps, newspapers, magazines, and even product packaging in the past. If nothing else this sort off thing speaks to a sort of unthinking ethnocentrism that is no less offensive for being somewhat genteel.

The west in general does this.

Emphasis on does. Ongoing. Continuous.

Lion King is an example.

Unsurprisingly, Kenya and other countries are also taking advantage of this! Selling the image of a country that isn’t quite accurate lol.

Found this after a quick search. TLDR: “fantasies of racial conquest”.

Elaborately robed in patterned textiles and wearing a turban encrusted with tiny jewels, an ebony figurine dangles a hanging lamp from his outstretched arm. Another figure is harder at work: Bare-chested and gleaming, he balances a tabletop on his back, his ample biceps securing it in place. These are Blackamoors—a trope in Italian decorative art especially common in pieces of furniture, but also appearing in paintings, jewelry, and textiles. The motif emerged as an artistic response to the European encounter with the Moors—dark-skinned Muslims from North Africa and the Middle East who came to occupy various parts of Europe during the Middle Ages. Commonly fixed in positions of servitude—as footmen or waiters, for example—the figures personify fantasies of racial conquest.

I think the interviewee’s response is more useful;

They were Arabic, hence the turbans and tunics you see in many of them. They were a curiosity—there were not many Africans in Italy at the time. So that’s where the tradition came from. Today there is a much larger African population in Italy, one that is often marginalized. So to continue to practice the craft as it existed back then—that’s to say that Africans are more acceptable as pieces of art than as fellow citizens. That’s the attitude we want to challenge.

144 posts were split to a new topic: Cultural appropriation: manufactured outrage or actual issue?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Cultural appropriation: manufactured outrage or actual issue?

Really haven’t followed this much, but I am amazed they got so much money for 2 hrs of talking.

The bottom of the article says the couple didn’t get compensated, so who got paid the seven million?

They is not Meghan or Prince Harry.

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry were not paid to take part in the interview, which will air Sunday on CBS

CBS reportedly paid a licensing fee of between $7 and $9 million to air the special,

So who did the money go to then? If they paid for the rights then they must have paid someone.

I’m going to guess Oprah got paid, as she should, b/c her special generated some hefty rating and a lot of buzz for the network.

Oprah, her production company, all the people involved in making the special, COVID protocols making things more expensive.

Plenty of people to pay and make a profit off of it other than the interview subjects.

Harry and Meghan have a new Netflix documentary series out. People seem to hate it. Can someone explain to me why there’s so much hatred out there against the two of them? Is it just because they spoke up against the Royal Family? Or because people don’t think you can be rich and unhappy? I’m really at a loss to understand it.

From what I can gather, from radio discussion, the documentary seems very self serving and milking the situation.

Also, trailers using footage from other events to try and paint a certain picture, and lots of hinting and insinuating of big revelations and so far, nothing interesting revealed.

So, basically they are no different from anyone else in the Royal Family.

Except the British Government isn’t on the hook for paying them to stand around, wave at shit, and show off all the stolen jewels and gems they have

With these deals they’ve made a ton of money. Enough that they could probably live out the rest of their lives away from the spotlight, if they so wished.

It would be one thing if they wanted to maintain their celebrity for charitable purposes, but it feels like all we see is interviews and shows about them and the challenges they’ve faced. They seem hell-bent on trying to sway public opinion to their side but they’re up against an institution which seems entirely comfortable ignoring them, so they come off like a vengeful ex who won’t stop posting on social media about how much of a jerk you were a few years back.

Hopefully they’ll move on and forge their own path as ‘Harry and Meghan’, dumping the burdensome royal baggage.

Especially when the allegation of being a jerk is so vague.

Like, someone expressed a curiosity about the colouring of the baby.

Well I’m mixed race/bi racial whatever and I was also curious about this.

And if I have kids I expect my family would be rather curious too.

That must be a British thing.

My niece is mixed race, and I have never expressed anything except that she is as cute as a button.

Then again, whether it’s the fact I am a freedom loving American, of a descendant of Irish Immigrants, but, I feel obligated to always say ‘Fuck the British Monarchy and all they stand for’.

If there are two sides of vaguely equal moral standing, I will always be on the side that doesn’t have the British Monarchy.

Have you bought into the notion that that family is chosen and better than others and must strive to remain that way?

And that just letting anyone into the family is a one way ticket to being just regular people and not entrusted by God to rule over, what I image nowadays feels like a depressingly small amount of land?