Wtf vw?

If that $37,500 is per day until they resolve the problem for every violating vehicle in the US then that whole “offering a new car at discount” idea seems like it is for total suckers, right? Eventually it’s going to be more economical for VW just to fix your car or give you a new one unless the Justice department thinks offering customers a coupon is a good faith solution.

The violation cited there is of the reporting obligation, and it’s $37,500 in total, not per car (the other remedies sought are per car). I’m not sure when exactly the cut-off would be (the claimed violations relate to applications for certificates of conformity, so presumably from the date of application to the time VW provides the required information, but the lawsuit doesn’t say whether they have yet done so. Regardless, the claim is small change compared to the first three.

Huh, you’re right, I was only looking at the 2 series as it’s the proper size for me. The bigger models do have some versions with a manual option. But it’s not just their cost, it’s the fact that I don’t want a larger or even a more powerful car; the 2 series is about the perfect size, though I guess I could live with a 340i or 4-series coupe if you gave it to me…

I am embarrassed to say, though, that I never have owned a used car. I’ve always bought new (and I’ve been driving for about forty years), with the exception of my very first car, which I sort of inherited when my dad passed away when I was sixteen. Economically, it makes super good sense, but I’ve always bought less expensive new cars instead for some reason. Also, I’d have to be a lot more opportunistic, because the types of cars I like are like, well, not on the market up here. You have to be able to jump fast when you see one, and I’m rarely able to do that.

Thanks for pointing out the other models in the BMW range, though. I had simply not looked beyond the twos.

Is that your car? Which one is that; it looks either really really cool or, um, distracting, can’t tell from here!

If you do decide to buy used, you may want to see if you can find a used car broker in your area. We did that for our most recent purchase (which was less exciting than anything you’re looking for!) These brokers look for specific cars at the gigantic auctions which take place on a weekly basis. The catalogs for these auctions are generally available online (behind a paywall), but you can generally work with your broker to review what’s available that week, and, if anything catches your eye, give the price range you’d consider.

We worked it out so that our broker took a flat fee plus 50% of what the difference was between our “price” and what was actually paid. As it turns out, he got us a better car than we expected, with all the options we wanted, and our net price was $4,500 (~25%) cheaper than a similar vehicle I’d seen at Carmax. For us, it was three weeks from when we decided to enlist the broker to when we were driving the “new” car. Obviously, YMMV, but see if any friends have recommendations for a broker in your area.

That sounds like a cool option. I’m not sure they have anything like that up here in Vermont; our population is so low, and virtually every car is a SUV or a pickup these days…we don’t even HAVE CarMax up here.

The 2 series vs 4 series size difference is smoke and mirrors. The 2 has no small-car advantages over the 3/4 because it’s the same frame with the same engine options. They weigh nearly the same, perform about the same, etc. I think the 3/4 series is a tad on the big side but they aren’t huge by any means. I’m driving a 3 series with manual transmission and AWD and it looks petite compared to my wife’s G37. And it drives soooo nice. If you can find a gently used one around for a reasonable price it’s a hell of a lot of car for the money.

Weird, I’m the complete opposite. I’ve never been able to stomach the thought of new car prices and depreciation so I always buy 5-10 year old cars. To each their own I guess. I admit there were some times where a warranty would have been nice, but I’ve never had a serious car repair bill either. I’ve replaced a couple of radiators and alternators over the years but never had to have a transmission or engine replaced.

I’m not adverse to a low-mileage used car, if it’s significantly better than what I could get new (or the same, with a substantial savings). It’s just that usually the stuff I want has to be ordered anyhow, and finding what I want used is tough. But I will definitely keep an eye out.

One problem with the new cars, as well as the pricing, is that the dealers rarely actually have the manuals in stock, so it’s tough to get a real feel for the car. You can test drive any number of automatics, but the manuals at least up here tend to be rare beasts, so you don’t even get to try out the shifting, which kind of sucks. I guess that’s an advantage of a used one, too. You can actually try it out.

Yeah, I didn’t think that was per car - but that can be an extra $13 million a year. Was wondering if that persists until they’ve offered a fix for every car on the road or not.

Like I say the violation in question isn’t about the underlying problem, it’s about reporting information . There’s no reason for it to be tied to the fix. And $13m is a rounding error.

I wonder how long it will be before we know even in the ballpark how much this will hurt VW. Uncertainty is going to be almost as bad for their stock as the judgements.

Okay, I think I get what that’s about now, thanks. I made an assumption that it was to incentivize VW to a quick resolution, but that isn’t really the case.

VW did almost pull out of the US market back in the '90s. Their sales had been on a steady decline, and completely tanked when there was a long delay in switching from the Mk2 Golf / Jetta to the Mk3, which left dealers with little to sell between the ancient entry-level Fox and the Passat. They didn’t really recover until the New Beetle arrived and boosted interest in the brand. I doubt they’ll pull out of the US now, though, as that December report shows they sold about 30K cars that month. They barely sold 50K for the entire year of 1993. It seems like people interested in non-TDI models haven’t let the controversy sway them against the brand too much at this point.

Although I certainly hope they recover long term, I’m damn disappointed in the company for this fiasco after being a longtime fan. Back in my high school days in the '80s, I helped a friend rebuild an old Beetle and I always liked that little car. My first new car was a '90 Golf Wolfsburg edition that got wrecked and was replaced with a red '91 GTI. Man that car was fun to drive.

And yes, Volkswagen is where I got the nick from - been using this one since the GEnie days.

It’s a camaro, and it’s awesome. Not distracting at all.

I hear they do well in the snow with snow tires, probably because they’re heavy.

I always liked the Camaro style (had a Z28 waaay back in the day) but the new ones are too bunker-like for me. Like the new Mustangs, which I also like in theory, I can’t see out of these things, and they are too big for my tastes. And you still need snow tires and preferably winter downsized rims for the weather up here, and even then, it’s iffy.

In the event, I lucked out and the VW dealer here actually got in a manual transmission Golf R, in the lapiz blue, which is pretty much the car I’ve wanted since the R32 debuted long ago. I hadn’t been really planning to swap my GTI but I’ve always wanted this thing so, when one came up and I was able to do it, I did.

Now of course it will come out that VW liled about something on this car, too, at which point I will have to force all of Germany into reparations and demilitarize the Rhineland again.

And in utterly SHOCKING news

FRANKFURT — Volkswagen internal memos and emails suggest that company executives pursued a strategy of delay and obfuscation with United States regulators after being confronted in early 2014 with evidence that VW diesel vehicles were emitting far more pollutants than allowed.

The documents, first reported on by the German newspaper Bild am Sonntag and since reviewed by The New York Times, could raise the penalties for Volkswagen based on laws requiring public disclosure of problems with potential to affect a company’s stock price. They indicate that top managers knew sooner than they have acknowledged that they could not bring tainted vehicles into compliance with air-quality rules, but led federal and California officials to believe otherwise.

The documents also raise the possibility that Martin Winterkorn, Volkswagen’s chief executive at the time, knew of possible emissions cheating by the company sooner than he has said.

According to the documents reviewed by The Times, a confidant of Mr. Winterkorn wrote to him in May 2014, warning that regulators might accuse the carmaker of using a so-called defeat device — software that recognized when the car was being tested for emissions and activated pollution-control equipment.

Seems appropriate:

Looks like VW’s NA head is out. Took 'em long enough.

EDIT: Saw a story in the paper this morning that US VW dealers are pissed off royally about the sacking of the American guy at the head of VW NA. They have a delegation going to Germany to “get hard answers,” according to this story. Apparently they have invested a lot of money in their dealerships per VW mandates (I know my local dealership did a hella expensive facelift in the past few years), and were benefiting from the former VW NA head’s focus on retail sales vice fleet sales. Now they’re afraid VW is just going to forget about North America and put some German guy in charge to do, well, German things.

Y’all will be shocked to learn that VW might not be the only car manufacturer to get create about tests.

Mitsubishi Motors has admitted falsifying fuel economy test data for more than 600,000 vehicles.

Shares in the Japanese car maker closed down more than 15% after it made the announcement.

I thought it was common knowledge it was not just VW? But maybe the reporting in the usa has all been focused on them? It seems it was pretty much every car manufacturer, not across their whole range but on a car-by-car basis. So pretty much MOST diesels have been miss-sold, or certainly had their pollution outputs manipulated.

The Mitsubishi issue isn’t with diesels.