Wtf vw?

I’ve owned three VWs (as a kid we also had a Dasher wagon, which was fine). Two have been superb (a GTI and the R). One, a 1979 Rabbit, was fun as hell but the electrical system literally burst into flames after I sold it to some guy in Alabama; before that, it would simply spontaneously refuse to start.

I think with VWs the key is to drive them like a German. Don’t flog them, be restrained even when going fast, and never let the car know you are having fun.

Hahahahaha, apparently I too owned a Chevette! Though it went by the Japanese/Aussie name over here - Isuzu/Holden Gemini. It was my first car, a 1984 model I got when I was 19 in the mid 90’s. Lowered, black painted wheels with chrome trim rings, extractors, 2.5" straight through exhaust, aftermarket tacho on the dash and 6x9’s in the back that would make your ears bleed while blasting out - you guessed it - Acca/Dacca. I used to pick up my mate on the way to uni. He’d get out of bed when he heard me coming all the way from my house 2km away as the crow flies.

If it had actually been any more powerful I probably would have hurt myself. But as above, nothing I could do could break that thing. Sure it burnt oil like crazy ever since that time I hooned home from a camping trip, but nothing I could do to that car could break it.

Burnout’s, rallying, drag racing, skid panning, handbrake turns, bog lapping - man I did some dumb shit in that car (most stuff I am not particularly proud of with the hindsight afforded by maturity).

Apparently not meeting standards outside the lab is universal.

I was very impressed by the Vauxhall Insignia, however. Where the best performer, Citroen, only emitted 300% the allowed amount of nitrous oxide, the Vauxhall managed to emit 1000%. Well done old chaps, well done.

Off topic, of course…but my sister had a Dodge Omni in the mid-80s which she drove over a speed bump a little too fast, and it cracked the frame right across the middle. Wow but Detroit was making pieces of shit back then.

I believe another key is to get one which was assembled in Germany.

Most that are sold in the US only have certain parts of their powertrain assembled in Germany, with assembly of the car itself being done in Mexico.

You know the Germans always make good stuff.

Yes and no. The Ford I had made in Mexico was, hands down, the best quality car, in terms of assembly, I’ve ever owned. It was a Fusion Sport and it was bank vault solid. The heavily-automated factory in Mexico did a great job. And a fair number of VWs are made in Mexico, and the complaints about manufacturing quality don’t seem to be that much different. OTOH, there are some threads on the VW boards I frequent where people whose cars were made in Germany have things like mis-matched grilles and emblems. So even Hans there has his bad days.

My R is a German made car (hell, most of the running gear is Audi anyhow) but the engine–and presumably, the same engine when it’s tossed in an Audi–is from Hungary. A colleague who has an A4 has stickers on it showing good chunks of it were made in France.

Now, in support of your theory, my '79 Rabbit was made in Pennsylvania…

Now, in support of your theory, my '79 Rabbit was made in Pennsylvania…

The amish can only do carpentry.

I live in San Antonio, a pretty big city. I don’t recall when it was I looked into oil change alternatives exactly, but it was probably ~3 years ago. At the time, none of the places I called stocked the oil I needed. Some of them would change the oil if I provided the oil, but of course with a surcharge, so the dealer was the cheapest option. That may have changed since then.

That gave me a chuckle. Reminds me of those newspaper ads for those “Amish heaters,” which feature Amish-made wooden frames around (I can only assume) cheap-o heating units.

‘Mitsubishi scandal deepens after US regulator demands test data’:

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/apr/22/mitsubishi-scandal-us-regulator-demands-data

The scandal engulfing Mitsubishi Motors has deepened, sending its shares to a new low after US authorities said they had requested information from the Japanese automotive group.

Shares in European carmakers Daimler, Peugeot and Volkswagen also dropped sharply as the industry’s emissions-fixing saga – which started with VW’s revelations last September that it had manipulated diesel emissions tests – intensified.

German carmaker Daimler, which owns Mercedes-Benz, fell more than 5% on Friday morning after announcing it had begun an investigation into its emissions testing at the request of the US Department of Justice.

Peugeot shares dropped 4.5% after French anti-fraud investigators raided the carmaker’s offices in Paris as part of a widening investigation linked to the VW emissions scandal. The French carmaker said its vehicles complied with emissions standards in all countries where it operates.

VW reached a deal in the US on Thursday that will involve it buying back or fixing nearly 600,000 cars rigged to cheat emissions tests. Its shares fell nearly 4% on Friday.

In Japan, Mitsubishi admitted this week that it manipulated test data to overstate the fuel efficiency of 625,000 cars and there are fears that more models may be involved. Government officials raided one of its offices on Thursday.

The scandal has wiped about 40% off Mitsubishi’s market value, amounting to losses of $3.2bn over three days. The shares fell nearly 14% on Friday, following declines of 20% on Thursday, when they were suspended, and 15% on Wednesday.

An official at the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration told Reuters that the regulator had asked Mitsubishi for information on vehicles sold in the US.

Are any US manufacturers in the firing line for all this stuff? Obviously the uk does not make cars anymore (thanks Maggie), so we are ‘safe’, but is it just european and japanese manufacturers that are the problem here?

To GM, Ford, and DC’s credit, their diesels tend to use the urea injection system. My 2013 self thought that it was because they couldn’t engineer a diesel as well as VW… now it seems they deserve a bit of a nod for once.

So I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some slight under-reporting going on, but it seems so far at least, they are free of the blatant cheating that has occurred elsewhere.

In fairness, the Amish is pretty bad-ass when it comes to carpentry. You can hire them to build you stuff, like decks, or garages, or barns, or whatever. They know their shit when it comes to that.

VW has increased its provisions to EUR 16.2bn and slashed its dividend, although it is still paying a (tiny) dividend.

And in further WTF VW news, it is delaying even further the interim report on what happened. They’re now saying they won’t publish until there is a full settlement with the DoJ.

Didn’t Toyota just launch a wooden car? Ah, yeah, hereit is. So there is hope for an Amish car industry after all!

‘Revealed: nearly all new diesel cars exceed official pollution limits’:

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/apr/23/diesel-cars-pollution-limits-nox-emissions

Ninety-seven percent of all modern diesel cars emit more toxic nitrogen oxide (NOx) pollution on the road than the official limit, according to the most comprehensive set of data yet published, with a quarter producing at least six times more than the limit.

Surprisingly, the tiny number of models that did not exceed the standard were mostly Volkswagens, the carmaker whose cheating of diesel emissions tests which emerged last year sparked the scandal. Experts said the new results show that clean diesel cars can be made but that virtually all manufacturers have failed to do so.

The new data, from testing industry leader Emissions Analytics (EA), follows the publication this week by the Department for Transport of emissions results for 37 vehicles, all of which emitted more NOx on the road than the official limit. But the new data covers more than 250 vehicles in more stringently standardised road conditions. EA found that just one of 201 Euro 5 diesels, the EU standard from 2009, did not exceed the limit, while only seven of 62 Euro 6 diesels, the stricter standard since 2014, did so.

Diesel cars must meet an official EU limit for NOx but are only tested in a laboratory under fixed conditions. All vehicles sold pass this regulation but, when taken out on to real roads, almost all emit far more pollution. There is no suggestion that any of the cars tested broke the law on emissions limits or used any cheat devices.

oh boy!

And you know every single one of those car makers knew this as well but chose not to speak up.

‘Norway’s gigantic wealth fund will sue Volkswagen over dieselgate’:

Well, I guess the new definition of “job security” is “VW legal team.”

Finally… we got an official buyback offer from VW which is a really solid amount of cash, considering we put 95,000 miles on our car.

The timing is perfect too, because the radio/cd/bluetooth console stopped working a week ago. We took the car into VW and they said “$600.”

We mentioned that they were just about to buy back the illegal and now malfunctioning car they sold to us and we hadn’t decided what to do with that money yet, but they didn’t take the hint and wouldn’t budge.

So then we hit the big green “yes” button on our offer and hey presto, VW are on the phone “come and look at our new cars!”

Eh, no.

Car dealers, of whatever marque, are notorious for this sort of thing. Which is why I have zero brand loyalty; I tend to find dealers I like, as long as they have a car that is in the group of cars I want, mostly regardless of brand.