WWDC 20: Mac Goes ARM

Fifteen years ago, Apple introduced its transition to Intel.

Today, they’re going to ARM.,

Foot, meet gun.

My body is ready.

You may theoretically still be able to Boot Camp since MS is (was?) developing a version of Windows for ARM too.

Phone-dock. Phone-dock.

Once I can fit a RTX 2080 into my phone I may make the switch to phone dock.

Alternative rumor is that there will be no new hardware announced at WWDC today.

Can you pair ARM CPUs with Nvidia or AMD discrete GPUs?

Given that, as far as I can tell, the core market for Macs now is people who use them for their work, don’t play games on them, and have iPhones as well. I work with a lot of folks like this. They have zero interest in computers as such, only in their ability to help them do what they need to do. A very healthy attitude, not shared by enthusiast gamers and old-school PC tinkerers, but very much more mainstream and monetizable. For this core audience, who mostly I’m guessing neither know nor care what name is on the chips inside their machine, the only thing that matters is that they can continue to use the software they know and are familiar with, and do so in a way that doesn’t disrupt the way they’ve come to expect their Macs work.

If Apple can make this relatively transparent to the end user, with ample software/app support out of the game, and easy conversion of apps and software, it should be a win for them I’d think. Given that a lot of the software people depend on is probably on some sort of yearly subscription or licensing plan, it seems it would be relatively easy to roll that license over into a new ARM version upon purchase of one of the new ARM Macs. Or something.

Whether or not the app developers are on the same time table though is another thing. I imagine Apple has done their homework and seeded the clouds so to speak.

A lot of software developers were already moving away from Mac because of lesser issues. This escalates that trend by a few orders of magnitude.

On the upper hand, companies making good Linux laptops might see a small but noticeable rise in their sales and shares. ;)

Windows Surface Pro X was sort of a bust. Sure, Qualcomm, but battery life was worse, performance was worse, and cost was worse.

I 100% support using desktop ARM, but it has to twist one of those variables firmly into its camp.

Imagine a 16 hour laptop. Or a $700 Apple laptop. Or an Apple laptop that has 5x the graphics performance of current designs and never overheat and lasts longer. Or has a standby time of 3 weeks, ect.

This, although I’m speaking more about people using Macs for various types of development – not just those making software for Macs. Apple has squandered a tremendous amount of developer mindshare over the last 5+ years. Stubborn arrogance has its price.

I read that the ARM version of Windows will use emulation to get x86 software to work on it. Which probably means poorer performance. Will they do the same for software running on ARM Macs? Can MS Office performance get any worse on a Mac than it already is?

x64 emulation is coming to Windows ARM. MS has had to re-engineer a ton of stuff to get around licensing issues.

But speed is definitely an issue. Maybe Apple’s silicon will do better?

This is some good shit, man! Finally, fixing the iOS homescreen. Widgets in-line, organize however you want, smart ordering, finally.

I feel like Apple obstinately avoided doing this for so long just because they didn’t want to copy Android. But a good idea is a good idea.

And it only took them a decade.

Group iMessage improvements were widely leaked but also, much needed. More good shit, although not as exciting as finally fixing the dang homescreen.

I don’t know why I’m watching this.

What else do you have going on? These aren’t exactly exciting times!

I could be checking the mail or something. Or jumping jacks.