Wyatt Earp or Tombstone?

My dad says Wyatt Earp because he says it seems more authentic. I think it’s because he’s a Kevin Costner fan. I say Tombstone because it’s got the some of the best performances from Val Kilmer and Kurt Russel. I also think it’s more fun that Wyatt Earp.

How about you guys?

Tombstone, easy. Tombstone has Val Kilmer who makes that movie fun.

It also has Kurt Russell saying awesome lines like “Run, you cur… RUN! Tell all the other curs the law’s comin! You tell 'em I’M coming… and hell’s coming with me, you hear?.. Hell’s coming with me!

One of the greatest screen performances ever.

Tombstone - Val kilmer is at his finest. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a better performance from an actor than whats going on with him in that movie…so damn good. The rest are fine as well, but Val Kilmer REALLY stands out

“I’m your Huckleberry”…

edit: haha yeah, Kurt Russel has some excellent lines “What you going to do about it? Are you just going to stand there and bleed? Throw down, boy!” Simply brilliant…now I need to go watch it again.

Oh geez, clicked on the wrong one. I can’t click and watch Olympic Mountain Biking at the same time. It’s still unanimous Tombstone.

Edit in: (looks down one message) Well, it was.

Wyatt Earp for me. I happened to watch Wyatt Earp first, and got so used to Dennis Quad as Doc Holiday that when I finally saw Tombstone, Val Kilmer didn’t “fit” in the role because I was already so used to Quad’s performance. Plus I love the framing of Wyatt Earp, with his childhood being shown first, and Gene Hackman sitting at the family table gravely telling his sons that family is more important than anything else. It gives the whole movie a different flavor than any other Wyatt Earp story, and I loved that flavor.

Tombstone by miles.

I’ve watched both easily 10 times each, Tombstone is better due to the overall movie intensity, focus on just that period of time, and amazing overall cast… but I do like Costner more than Russel , I think he is better as Earp. :p

-_-

My Darling Clementine.

Definitely Tombstone for me.

Incidentally, did anyone see the O.K. Corral episode of BBC’s “The Wild West”? (I wouldn’t have seen it if it weren’t on a Cathay Pacific flight about five years ago.) Despite his weak mustache, I really enjoyed Liam Cunningham’s taciturn Earp.

I thought Tombstone was a guilty pleasure of mine. I’m surprised to see it’s so well regarded.

Another vote for Tombstone. Don’t know what else to say that hasn’t been already. It’s a great cast, all giving terrific performances, with a strong focused story. Sounds hyperbolic, but it honestly reminds me of a good John Ford western.

I didn’t like either much, but Tombstone wins by a mile. Wyatt Earp was practically unendurable. I saw it back in the day w/ my sister. We were sure the horrific film was over. Costner is on a steam boat sailing off into the sunset or some such, praise FSM we can leave the theater, but then… A kid runs up to Earp on the deck, saying something like “I remember you!”’ and suddenly there’s a random Wyatt Earp adventure flashback. Clearly, they’d shot the scene, had nowhere to put it, so tacked it on to the end in the most forced and obtrusive manner possible. It was torturous waiting for it to play out and the credits to roll.

It was a pretty cool thing when I figured out that you don’t have to stay. If the movie (play, band, comic, speaker, whatever) sucks, just get up and leave and go do something fun.

Like say…My Darling Clementine.

I loved Kurt Russell before Tombstone, but that chill inducing quote there sealed the deal for his entry into my Hall of Awesomeness.

“Frederic Fucking Chopin.” 'nuf said.

So brilliant! That paleskinned sweaty lunger is seriously deadly in this movie… His companion is pretty awesome as well, actually…

I like both movies - but there’s no doubt Tombstone wins out because of Kilmer. One of the most convincing and rich performances of any actor, ever.

It doesn’t hurt to have Biehn and Russel in the movie, either.

That said, I like how Wyatt Earp earns his stripes in the other one - with that extremely luck shot (billiard ball). I think it rings true, somehow, the totally random nature of how you develop into who you are.

I love Tombstone to death, but I’d love it a lot more if Dana Delaney wasn’t in it. Man does she stink up that role.

I haven’t seen either of those. But now, I’m going to check out Tombstone.