Wyoming to study need for its own aircraft carrier

Those cowboys up in Wyoming are worried it’s all going to collapse. They need their own currency, their own standing army, and for some reason they need an aircraft carrier:

CHEYENNE — State representatives on Friday advanced legislation to launch a study into what Wyoming should do in the event of a complete economic or political collapse in the United States.

House Bill 85 passed on first reading by a voice vote. It would create a state-run government continuity task force, which would study and prepare Wyoming for potential catastrophes, from disruptions in food and energy supplies to a complete meltdown of the federal government.

The task force would look at the feasibility of Wyoming issuing its own alternative currency, if needed. And House members approved an amendment Friday by state Rep. Kermit Brown, R-Laramie, to have the task force also examine conditions under which Wyoming would need to implement its own military draft, raise a standing army, and acquire strike aircraft and an aircraft carrier.

Well, the largest lake in Wyoming is 15 by 7 miles. Sounds like the perfect environment for a blue water navy.

I’m sure they’re waiting for the polar ice caps to melt, submerging the entire country except for those filled with enough hot air to stay aloft … likely including the state legislature of Wyoming.

Actually, this vote has already been voted down (voted down by the 3rd reading) and it appears as if the amendment to add an Aircraft Carrier to the bill was added by a legislator with a sense of humor over the whole thing. So, yes, it was a joke.

Damn it, having an aircraft carrier in Wyoming would have added a lot of jobs and I was thinking about moving.

They could put big tank treads on it and have ships rolling across the prairies. That would be awesome.

Yeah, it could be like Hitler’s supertank!

This reminds me of the sadly cancelled Saskatchewan Gundam Task Force. And the Appalachian Death Star.

Was that actually planned or what?

It was planned because Hitler thought a 1000 ton tank would be awesome. Speer killed it because he was smarter than Hitler and realised that this thing would be an expensive and not-terribly mobile invitation for any fighter-bombers in the region to have a party.

P1000 Ratte

Yeah, that’s the P1000 Ratte. There was also a P1500 Landcruiser design. This page has some good infomation. Here’s my favorite image of what the completed beast might have looked like:

It would have been a gigantic target whose life expectancy would have been measured in seconds on any battlefield where the Axis didn’t have total air supremacy, which was all of them. Very cool looking, though.

Those crazy Nazis. Did they ever try to come up with a cannon that could shoot across the English Channel?

I’m surprised they didn’t have plans for mechs.

Isn’t Wyoming big sky country? I’m thinking zeppelins.

http://user.mc.net/hawk/biggun.htm

There you go.

Well, as far as I know they didn’t, but there have been plenty of games with such a premise. There was the RTS Warfront: Turning Point, that posited a WW2 that went on for a couple more years and had mechs. And there was a planned game for the Mac years ago called Operation Phoenix that had both Allied and Axis mechs.

Thats Montana.

Re: Superguns, there was this great scene in the first Harry Turtledove book in the WorldWar series (premise: it’s WW2 and suddenly reptilian space aliens invade) in which a German crew sets up and fires a big-ass rail-transported cannon at one of the aliens’ bases. It’s described in meticulous detail. The aliens try to shoot the shell down, but since their anti-missile missiles are meant to shoot down relatively light things, they just glance off it and the shell lands on target and blows the hell out of the base.

He would have liked to have seen Montana.

Medal of Honor had some Super Nazi Stormtroopers in it…I am sure they were real.

Like a land battleship.