X-box games recommendations?

Sorry. Did I miss something? I was fishing in Dark Clouds 2. I wish PC games were more like this!

Sorry. Did I miss something? I was fishing in Dark Clouds 2. I wish PC games were more like this!

Zing. I was embarrassed to be seen returning DC2 as it implied I might have played it. Men have no business playing 7-year-old girl games (all the Animal Crossing fans should consider themselves offended). :P

On the other hand, Asher you’re high if you think Halo will be better on PC. It will be vanilla. Halo is the perfect console game. The textures on a tv screen are just right, the controls gel perfectly with the big clonky xbox controller, its simple enough for a console, but is as robust as a PC game with the multiplayer options and terrific campaign. The PC version will have no co-op mode - end of story.

On the other hand, Asher you’re high if you think Halo will be better on PC. It will be vanilla. Halo is the perfect console game. The textures on a tv screen are just right, the controls gel perfectly with the big clonky xbox controller, its simple enough for a console, but is as robust as a PC game with the multiplayer options and terrific campaign. The PC version will have no co-op mode - end of story.

Dude, Halo is so a PC game transplanted on the console. Yeah, it’s a shame that Halo on the PC won’t have co-op, but the multiplayer will more than make up for it, though I admit I will miss seeing my TV screen divvied up into smaller screens for console multiplayer. I think the squinting strengthened my eyes.

Oh yeah, anime looks like Precious Moments.

Too many console games are anime crap.

Therefore, console gamers love Precious Moments.

I rest my case.

Oh yeah, part 2, to gnmarsh. Blockbuster has a deal now where you give them $20 and you can rent unlimited console games for a month. The catch is you can only have one out at a time. This would be a cheap way to try out a bunch of inferior-to-PC-games console titles.

I was rather unimpressed by Wolfenstein and Brute Force. But I’ll go along with the rest of that list.

With Splinter Cell on PC and Halo coming next month, those might not be high on an Xbox list anymore, but MechAssault and JSRF are great.

Do you still get JSRF and Sega GT with a new Xbox? If so, uh, nevermind.

I would add Project Gotham Racing to the list. I’m not especially into car games and I love it.

It’s like Golden Axe with a Devil May Cry fighting system. Or at least it should be. It’s missing co-op, which is really what made Golden Axe so damn good. RotK will have two-player co-op, though :)

Does anyone have the address of that middle finger emoticon Derek always used to use?

It’s not the most console-ly game out there, but I’ve dug Morrowind on the XBox. I would check out the version coming this fall with the expansions and patches.

Too many console games are anime crap? What planet are you on? Is it the one where the only console games are Japanese PS2 imports?

You’re in the US, right? If so, Otogi, a lovely action game by FROM Software (makers of Armored Core) is coming out over there really soon. Otogi means something like fairytale or illusion or myth of some sort, think dreamy hallucinatory story and you’ve got the atmosphere down. It takes place in ancient Japan (really ancient Japan) with one of our mythological heroes, Raikou, who an undead warrior that kind of has this flight momentum that carries you through the stages barreling through the air in majestically combo charges that smash through the environments.

Much like Sega’s Gungrave, you are rewarded for destroying the levels and they are large and filled with beautifully modeled, graceful architecture to smash enemies into, through, around and generally stick it to them. The better you do, the more you get to add to RPG-style stat and weapon increases for Raikou. He can also equip and buy various things and its quite addictive to increase your rankings. Raikou’s has one of those great, “Help! My weapon is EEEEATING me!” gameplay tropes where you have to feed the weapon’s thirst or you’ll start losing energy. Its not overly long, but it has a decent length, a plot based on very esoteric and non-mainstream Buddhist and Shinto thought, the reply value and the depth of the engine are both quite lovely and the game got nice, positive reviews back in Japan when it was released last December as an Xbox sleeper hit, especially for the eerie dream-like atmosphere and the fun of controlling Raikou around like some possessed demon on a rampage. Unfortunately, the music has a tendency to sound like what its supposed to be (which is not good in my opinion in this instance) because its anciet Japanese, have you ever heard that nasty stuff before? If not, it sounds like what would happen if a fire truck engine was a person who decided to have a series of extended sneezes and throw around wooden baby blocks randomly. I think you can turn it off though.

Since its Japanese release been further improved in several ways and its US release looks to tool things up to be one of Xbox’s premier third-person action games. Granted, I’m not sure how improved it is, but the original was certainly solid enough to buy. I recommend it, especially if you like digging into the depths of action games in replay. Here, where MS must be actively trying to make the Xbox look about as appealing as fondling a puffy, hairy wart on a fat lady’s puss purple ass, it really stood out, and indeed, continues to stand out so much despite lack of sales, that FROM announced a sequel.

Oh, and its look isn’t anime-inspired, if that is a deterrent, though of course lots of people fling around that term without any great grasp on the medium anyway, so your YMMV. :wink:

Here is a trailer of the Japanese version, if you’re interested.

-Kitsune

Depending on what genres you’re into, KotOR, Splinter Cell, Madden 2004 & Midnight Club II would be a pretty good start to an Xbox collection. I also played the hell out of Tiger Woods 2003.

• Sluggo

“On the other hand, Asher you’re high if you think Halo will be better on PC. It will be vanilla. Halo is the perfect console game. The textures on a tv screen are just right, the controls gel perfectly with the big clonky xbox controller, its simple enough for a console, but is as robust as a PC game with the multiplayer options and terrific campaign. The PC version will have no co-op mode - end of story.”

You need to read up on all that Gearbox is doing with the game. Its not a quick and dirty port job.

Chip in my votes for Project Gotham, JSRF, Mechassault, and Deathrow. (and of course KOTOR, but you’ve already played that) Any of these should provide you with some good times…

Too many console games are anime crap? What planet are you on? Is it the one where the only console games are Japanese PS2 imports?[/quote]

The planet I’m on is the one where a significant number of console titles, especially RPGs, are anime-styled. I know you don’t like the PS2, but that’s where most of the console action is (huge market share, crushing the competition, etc.). Check it out sometime, especially the RPGs. I’d think you’d have a professional interest…

The multiplayer is kind of flawed though. It is a fun game but you can’t switch off your players when playing 2 on 2. It is a pretty serious design flaw that keeps a good game from being great multiplayer. The single player is still entertaining though.

– Xaroc

Too many console games are anime crap? What planet are you on? Is it the one where the only console games are Japanese PS2 imports?[/quote]

The planet I’m on is the one where a significant number of console titles, especially RPGs, are anime-styled. I know you don’t like the PS2, but that’s where most of the console action is (huge market share, crushing the competition, etc.). Check it out sometime, especially the RPGs. I’d think you’d have a professional interest…[/quote]

Yep. Its nearly impossible to find a decent RPG on the PS2 that isnt anime style. Summoner 2 was the only one I could find.

olaf

edit: I did see something called King’s Field and a Wizardry game, but the reviews were sorry, so I didnt try either.

The planet I’m on is the one where a significant number of console titles, especially RPGs, are anime-styled. I know you don’t like the PS2, but that’s where most of the console action is (huge market share, crushing the competition, etc.). Check it out sometime, especially the RPGs. I’d think you’d have a professional interest…[/quote]

I have no problem with the PS2, as I have said before I own all 3 current consoles and a DC. If you are only looking at RPGs I could see that statement being true. Outside of RPGs the anime influence is significantly lower. I have very little interest in FF style RPGs and that’s why I don’t play them. I liked Skies of Arcadia until the endless random battles made me stop playing it. FF seems much the same and althought the special effects are cool the first 5 times you see them after seeing the same 10 second long attack sequence for the 30th time I just want to fling the disc out the window.

Back to the topic of game recommendations, I just picked up Tiger Woods 2003. I picked up the Cube version for 20 bucks but from what I hear it’s the same game. I can’t stand golf and I usually hate EA Sports games, but this one is a lot of fun. I think some of the reviews said that the AI wasn’t all that great, but I’m not sure because I have no idea how to choose a club or what kind of shots I want to take, so I suck at it.

Still, the gameplay is killer, it’s got this cool system where you perform the swings by moving the analog stick back and then forward, so you’re doing the swing yourself instead of just hitting a button while a marker moves along a power bar. You can pull back to the side to make the ball fade and tap on the Z button (not sure which button the XBox version uses) to add some power to your shot during the backswing, then while the ball is in the air you can add some spin to it.

So anyway, I’m terrible at this game but it is a lot of fun to play. Plus it’s almost a year old so you can probably get it cheap. Check it out.

How can a golf game AI be bad? Tiger Woods has bad pathfinding so he gets stuck behind trees? He tries to use a driver on the green?

The caddy suggesting the wrong club.