X-COM . . . the QT3 game

Embrace thy geeky side. Accept it. Feel it all around you. Let it flow over you. At least, that’s what I’m doing.

This idea is ripped right off the OO forums, but I thought it was a fun idea, and since X-COM is my favorite game, hell, why not.

I’m planning on starting up a brand new game of X-COM: UFO Defense. Now typically I rename my squaddies something dull that just shows what they are , like “Sniper”. But this time, I’m going to role play them a bit. What I need are 8 QT3ers to volunteers who will take on the names of the initial 8 squad members. You can’t pick who you are, but after I randomly rename them (or rather, rename them in order of signup), I’ll give you a general idea of their abilities, if applicable. Then I play the game and give general progress reports and after action reports of what went on in that time period. It all depends of course on how much I get to play in a given time period, so sometimes it might be a detailed AAR of a battle and sometimes it might be a summation of 5 or 6 battles and some strategic stuff.

Oh, and the twist. If you like (you don’t have to), I’ll let you tell me the general attitude your squaddie has in the game. For instance, are you cautious? Will you back up your team no matter what? Do you like to hang out on the sidelines? Are you a hard charger who runs in where angels fear to tread? Just a general attitude/feeling, because otherwise it gets way too complicated and interactive. If you give me no personality, I’ll just use your “avatar” as I see fit.

You’re all disposable. :)

So who’s in? I need 8. When I need more replacements/soldiers, I’ll announce it in the thread.

madkevin
Glenn
Stroker Ace
dannimal
Kalle
MikeSofaer
Raife
contrarybear

You can use me. I’ll be the craven coward who talks a big game but folds under pressure unless completely cornered.

Aight, I put on my robe and wizard hat.

/me casts level 9 cock of the infinite

I am impatient and prefer to hurt people while occasionally filling utility roles.

Sign me up! I’d be cautious, but dedicated to the squad (meaning, I wouldn’ t be jumping to be first in, but if the options were to run into danger to heal/grap a squaddie or run screaming back to the ship, I’d go grab 'em).

Leave no one behind, but I hope I’m not so pro-active that I’m the one you’re trying not to leave behind.

Does that mean you’re in or just horny, Stroker?

Sign me up. I’m the guy who prefers to lug around the really big guns.

I’ll be the guy who stays 10 steps behind the idiot in front and throws grenades. Lots of grenades.

Oh hell yeah.

I’ll be the gung-ho “Shit, do I have to kill everything myself?” soldier.

I’m the scouty guy who likes to peer just a little too far into the darkness.

(I figure qt3 has so many x-com fanatics, my character should die early to give someone else a chance.)

First rule of X-COM. Never volunteer.

Better you than me. ;)

OK, that’s 8. Starting game . . . NOW. :)

Both, Guapo. Both.

I’m in, but I’d like to be the guy with the blaster launcher.

Just get me some fracking armor, dammit.

Welcome to Reykjavik XCB, boys!

After a quick one over, it looks like MikeSofaer is our best shot, Kalle and dannimal are the strongest, Raife has lightning quick reflexes, and Glenn and contrarybear . . . well, let’s just say we’ll be keeping them on painkillers because they seem to be the nervous, jittery kind.

We’ve got a long-range radar on order and much needed supplies are en routte. Forget that heavy cannon, we’re going with autocannons, rifles, and a rocket launcher. Heavy on the fire fire fire fire fire fire rounds. A fresh batch of scientists, who frankly will win this war for us if can be won, is also flying in soon. Since we’re on superhuman (at least until that bug kicks in if it still exists), we might be wiped out before we can begin, but let’s think long term, shall we?

So let’s keep our eyes open and get our first kill of the day.

Yeah, you’ll definately need reinforcements with this crowd.

I’m a lucky bastard who uses only a pistol. I get wounded all the time, (think John Mclain) but if I get shot dead you’ve obviously played me wrong.

When you need a replacement, throw in moore. You know how I play, no caution, lots of grenades.

Beyond reinforcements, you’ll eventually need token garrison forces on other bases, unless you’re doing some strange sort of “one base only” approach. I approve of garrison duty. If drafted, I’m going to spend most of my time playing videogames. Surely things won’t go wrong enough with alpha squad to ever put my name on the front lines.

Hey, contrarybear, you wouldn’t mind checking this area out for me, would you? Thanks, I’ll be right behind you. Literally.