X-Men 2 comments - some spoiler responses

My wife and I just got back from a special early free screening exclusively for the privileged.

I liked the movie a lot. I liked the first one pretty well, too, but I think this one is a little better. I liked Alan Cumming a lot as Nightcrawler, and the BAMFing was just like it sounded to me in the comic books.

One reason I was happy to get an early showing was to screen the movie for my two sons, ages 9 and 6. I’m afraid I’m not sure if we’ll let them see it soon. There was one tension breaking “Holy shit” and by PG-13 standards a huge amount of human death. Almost no graphic gore, but little of the typical wussy crap like androids or other inconsequential enemies, or all the humans getting bonked on the head and falling face first onto a mirror so we can see by the condensation they’re still breathing and will be fine. I suppose Mystique is basically walking around nearly naked a lot of the time too, but that’s somewhat obscured and I don’t think would be one of our concerns.

Of course, I thought the various killings were pretty cool. When the first one happened, I was giddy that the ‘no fictional characters were harmed…’ line was being so clearly crossed.

I had a couple of plot quibbles, but will save those for a thread where spoilers are already being tossed about.

[size=2]Edited to warn of spoilers as suggested. Post by Woolen Horde has unmarked spoiler, others seem to be flagged with SPOILER type warnings.[/size]

Das good news. I was bummed to just learn that there are no midnight screenings to catch tonight.

You mean you didn’t rent out a theatre and fly in friends from all over the country like you did for LOTR? Man, SARS must really have you running scared. ;-)

I liked it, and I too was surprised by the brutatality for a PG-13 movie. I’m trying to think of how many people Wolverine actually used his claws on (in) in the first movie, and I really can’t think of much. In this movie, he’s gutting (bloodlessly) extras left and right. Blood or not, the combat is much more savage.

I’m growing concerned for how far the series can last in theaters though. I imagine they’ll make sequels as long as they’re successful, but the farther you take the movies from the Earth we know into the Marvel universe, the less interested the public (read $$$) will be. The mutation angle, humans and mutants fighting because they’re different, blah blah, that’ll only work for so long before the more extravagent and otherworldly elements of the comics start leaving the public with a collective “WTF?”

It’s too bad they always have to aim for PG-13. If it had been R-rated, it would have been absolutely gruesome. In good way.

In the theater I went to today they flashed a notice that they required a picture ID for people under 25 for R rated movies. I think this would be a reason to aim for a PG-13 movie. Kids these days have alot of money it seems.

I’m sure the money from young movie goers is why a studio would want a PG 13 rating. Many parents will go by the rating alone, and probably many more don’t even check, so now kids can get in without them.

We’ve decided our kids won’t see this one soon. The brutal fights, while TOTALLY AWESOME AND SWEET, were the showstopper for us.

I agree, more gore would be cool, and I don’t recall Wolverine goring a single human in the first. I only saw it one time, but I think Mystique took the only severe claw attack from him and of course we were shown very clearly that she survived.

I don’t remember clearly what happened to the mutant he fought on the Statue of Liberty. Did he actually get gored too, or was he just thrown off the statue (as I recall). Either way, it’s easily conceivable that he survived in a comic book story.

They do that so the 18-25 year olds don’t get offended when they ask for ID. So when a 24 year-old guy complains about being carded, they just point to the sign in justification. Though I suppose a 27-year-old can sue them.

No, kids (especially older teens up to 25 or so) see movies as a social event and thus they make up most of the theater market.

The PG-13 rating is huge. It works for adults except for those that just HAVE to have substantial blood or sex, yet it hardly excludes anyone (only the rare 12 or under not there with a guardian). Its not seen as a “kiddie” film as “G” and “PG” are so adults are not turned off.

About the only downside to the PG-13 is that parents (especially conservative ones) with young children don’t like it and would prefer a G or PG.

But of the 4 ratings, PG-13 is the one that brings the most smiles to producers, coinciding with the most greenery growing out of their pockets.

Saw it. Loved it. Mmmmmmm… could use more colossus.

Hmmmm… it was better than the first one, and longer too, which was my wish. Was it me, or did the first one seem like it was 45 minutes long?

I too was shocked that they let Wolvie kill lots of people. Hah, I just kept thinking of that line in Clerks when they’re talking about all those regular joe construction workers on the Death Star that Luke killed. I’m just thinking, these guys are just soldiers serving Uncle Sam, and Wolvie is just guttin’ em.

Anyway, I tried explaining the entire Dark Phoenix thing to some people I watched the movie with, and they totally gave me the look of “geek!”

Plus, could they have ripped the entire ending of Star Trek II off more? From the Jean Grey voiceover of the series’ opening motto to the camera panning over her “grave”… jeez…

Um, the topic name has NO SPOILERS in the title. Now, I just saw the movie tonight, so it’s not that big a deal for me, but seriously, I’m sure there are people reading this thread who haven’t yet.

Great film - both my wife and I enjoyed it a lot. I felt a bit sorry for Kelly Hu though - she only spoke four or five words during the entire film and basically followed Brian Cox around like a mute puppy dog.

I felt sorry for her character - as portrayed in the film, she wasn’t really evil . . . .

SPOILERS
She was controlled by Stryker the entire film - and when Wolverine kills her, only then do you see in her eyes that she’s free from Stryker’s control, which is sad; her character never had a will of her own.

SPOILERS

I think what you see in her eyes was just the pressure from the Adamantium.

Adamantium!!!
:shock: In a feautre film!!! :shock:
Truly all things are now possible…

It was the logical step from Photon Milk.

Great movie. I thought the first was good, but not great. This one was great.

I love these movies, for the same reason I love the Lord of the Rings movies – it’s great to see the subject matter treated with some maturity (and budget). The casting and characterization really couldn’t be better.

I haven’t seen X2 yet, but as a big fan of the first movie and an X-Comic junkie since 1978, I feel exactly the same way. The first movie seems to get better every time I watch it, something I unfortunately can’t say for the Spider-Man flick, as it somehow gets worse with repeated viewings. I hope Raimi takes a close look at the X-Men movies before he gets too into the filming of Spidey II.

I dunno, the first one doesn’t get better with more viewings for me. It does hold up better than Spidey though, on that I agree. I think the lack of any real show stopping fights in the first movie is what makes me enjoy this movie so much more. If Wolverine and Sabertooth had a fight as intense as the one between Wolvie and whatsername in this movie, I’d have been quite happy.

No, kids (especially older teens up to 25 or so) see movies as a social event and thus they make up most of the theater market.

Aren’t they, though? A social event, I mean? Do they become something different when you get to be an adult? I always thought going to movies alone wasn’t a terribly common thing.

Anyway, this movie comes out later this week over here (woohoo! an actual timely release!) and a friend recommended it, saying it had really awesome action scenes. I know hardly anything about X-Men, beyond what I’ve seen in Marvel vs. Capcom, so would you guys recommend it to somebody who isn’t at all familiar with the comics or cartoons? I haven’t seen the first one either.

-Kitsune