X-men Legends Questions

This game is quite fun, but the manual leaves a bit to be desired. I have yet to figure out what effect(s) the Strike and Defense attributes have on characters. Do they increase basic hit damage? Increase likelihood of character avoiding a hit? Decrease the amount of damage taken from a hit? Anybody?

Also, how do you use the Lava Bridge and Magma Bridge powers that belong to Iceman and Magma?

Dandylife, beyond what’s mentioned in the ingame tooltips, I’m not sure about how the stats directly translate into the game.

As for the bridges, they’re simply canned solutions to certain areas where you need to cross a chasm. You’ll occasionally see a blue floating X, which means you’ll need to fire off a mutant power. This is usually one of the bridge abilities.

-Tom

Be careful with those blue X chasms. I found out you don’t have to be right up at the edge of them to make the bridges after a few trial and errors where I walked too close and ended up losing a character.

I guess a better question is: what do Strike and Defense do? I forget what the tool tips say. Personally, I see no effect beyond changing numbers around on the stat sheet. How can I decide when to put points into them at level up if I don’t know what they do?

Are you sure we’re talking about the same powers? I’m thinking of the power that has about 5 or 6 different levels on the character sheet. For Iceman, it’s called Ice Bridge. Apparently it’s supposed to do some damage. But why would a context sensitive power have multiple levels of upgradability? Do I get to make better bridges or something with higher levels? And what’s the point of it doing damage?

I guess a better question is: what do Strike and Defense do?

IIRC, Body determines your hit points, Strike determines your melee damage, Agility (is it called Defense?) determines your defensive ability, and Focus determines how much damage your mutant strikes do and how quickly your mutant power regenerates. Doesn’t it explain all that in the game?

Are you sure we’re talking about the same powers? I’m thinking of the power that has about 5 or 6 different levels on the character sheet. For Iceman, it’s called Ice Bridge. Apparently it’s supposed to do some damage.

I don’t have the game in front of me, but the pattern is that each character pretty much has two attacks, an active defensive ability, and a Super X-Strike (or whatever it’s called). Some characters can build bridges in scripted locations using one of their attacks.

Isn’t all that spelled out when you highlight a power? I don’t recall having any questions beyond stuff like ‘What’s this reference to ‘pain’ attacks?’, ‘How am I supposed to use lavawalk?’, and ‘Is Rogue this lame in the comic books, too?’

-Tom

I think you’re thinking of Ice Tracks and Lava Skating, or maybe it’s Ice Skating and Lava Tracks. Jump, then jump again while in the air to do it. This is also how you fly and how you double jump with the acrobats.

Yup, I’m pretty sure he’s thinking of Ice Tracks. I haven’t quite figured out how to use it effectively, but it’s cool that they put it in, since that’s Iceman’s trademark form of transport.

I use it by jumping, and then hitting jump again right before you hit the ground- if you do this right when you get into battle, it acts as a sort of charge effect. The problem is that it stops your movement when you hit someone- no pinball effect like with Beast. :( It would have been much better if you just charged right through them, knocking them over as you go. That would have probably been too powerful, though.

How does Beast’s pinball work, anyway? Can you actually bounce from enemy to enemy? Do you have to hold it down to do that?

Has anyone figured out how to get the camera angle to pull back a bit? Setting it to steep, and playing with the other functions, doesn’t seem to help.

The game is pretty good, but I always feel like I need a bit more viewing area to actually throw things, not get trapped on opposite edges of the screen when in multiple player fights, etc.

Yup, you guys nailed it. Thanks for the help. See what I get for typing with the game turned off? :)

One more mistake I made: I originally asked what the Defense attribute does. Actually, what I want to know is what the Agility attribute does. Anyone know? I know now that if I put points into Strike, my character will do more melee damage, but I don’t know why I should be putting points into Agility (other than to increase the defense number).

Yes, and yes, but it’s pretty hard to control.

I think the reason pinball is so hard to control is because he’ll auto-target usable objects as well as thugs. So while you’re trying to ping 3 soldiers, he’ll roll off to hit a lamppost or a crate. It’s not a bad ability, but you have to keep aware of the stuff around you. Beast can be quite a formidable melee fighter if you level him up right.

The double jump moves are useful for getting out of tight spots, such as when you’re surrounded by thugs and about to die.

If you keep putting points into acrobatics, does it let you do anything besides double jump? The description says “Unlocks acrobatic moves”, but I’ve got three points in it for Beast and it’s still just double jump.