X Rebirth

Hm, so is this good now? I too got the X bug, but in X3:TC, and never got this because it was received so poorly at launch.

Well, I can tell you that I ‘lost’ 3h yesterday in the blink of an eye. Had a proper quarter to three moment after a very long time.

Shit, I even had fun exploring the stations. The game certainly requires a very specific mood to get into, that’s for sure.

I remember many of the complaints were that you could only pilot one ship, but the more I think about it the more I think I’d have preferred to have just have one ship you can upgrade rather than going back and forth between fighter and cruiser and freighter. The main thing I’m worried about is if they’ve worsened the proliferation of menus that must be navigated to get anything done. Especially if you have to get out and wander around a station.

It actually has become quite fun after numerous patches and expansions.

My problem with it wasn’t that you were restricted to one ship, it was that the customization of that one ship was laughably bland. Instead of “do I want to be a heavy fighter or maybe a quick smuggling ship”, it was “upgrade lasers to level 2 lasers!”. It sucked. I was on board with one ship in theory, expecting the way you could customize your ship to really open a lot of possibilities. I was very wrong.

Hopefully that got better with updates, but I never bothered to go back and check.

I haven’t played the old X games but I like having one ship and just call in the big guns whenever they’re needed, and keep my command ship light and nimble.

You don’t need to get out and wander stations, most of the stuff can arranged through comms, and whatever little is left can be modded out so you never entire stations again (there was even a mod called like that). Menus and fleet management, from what I’ve read, are one of the areas where Rebirth improves on X3. Maybe check out some 4.x reviews and then decide. Game is currently on version 4.3.

I don’t have a problem with one ship in theory, but it had less ship upgrades than the previous games had. And those games had a ton of different ships in addition to more upgrades for them. The ship customisation in Rebirth was pitiful. No idea whether it’s changed over time.

Anyone know if they’re working on a more “classic” design for X4?

Is this playable with a gamepad over Steamlink? No keyboard/mouse input? I’ve had it forever but not played it.

It’s very playable with a gamepad. Unsure about Steam Link though, haven’t tried it.

Steamlink works great now with a PS4 controller. Love it! Feels like I’m just playing my actual PS4.

Oh that’s very cool!

There are some extra options now, but it’s not a huge improvement. Just some options that, despite not being straight upgrades, are not something particularly creative or remarkable.

There are some 1 hour stream videos showing X4, if you want take a look.

Feels like they went back to the old X style with some of the improvements from Rebirth.

I feel like I’m progressing the campaign too fast by simply following the objectives. Right now I’m at ‘Enter Trojan ROV’ part and I’m still using mk1 Maser and Mk1 Plasma. Wasn’t able to get shield upgrade in DeVries because trader didn’t stock them?? And at no point was I told I should buy a Trojan Rov before I got to that part of the mission lol. I’m thinking of abandoning the campaign and going straight to free play if it’s going to continue like this.

edit: Figured out what the problem was, restarted campaign. Doing some missions on the side now so I can afford the better stuff.

Took down a large ship today, with lots of help from the nearby friendly station lol. I got hooked pretty hard, gotta say.

@rhamorim: any tips regarding ship loadouts? For now I’m using the mk3 combat cockpit config, mk1 weapons (repeater is my favorite, but hammer is also great), 2x mk3 Dashing shields, and mk3 Sidewinder engine. I’m not really clear on how many drones I can carry though - for example I can store 5 assassin drones, but does that mean I won’t be able to take as many of other types?

Just curious, Bateau, are you a fan of the previous X games as well, or is this the first one you’ve gotten into?

Just wait until you see proper capital ship combat. If you enjoyed BSG 2003, you’re in for a treat. ;)

So, ship layouts. It depends on your play style. Always use the higher mk you can, but between the types, focus on the one that adapts better to how you play. Just remember that boosting draws from shields, so take that into consideration.

All weapon types have their uses. Make sure you have one that is cheap on energy use. Other than that, again, their particular characteristics depend on how you play the game.

As for drones, I barely used them, and I don’t remember particulars about them right now. I remember having a couple shield drones for support and a few fighter drones mainly to provide new targets for enemies if I ever got in a tight spot. Other than that, I didn’t use them all that much.

First one. I own the entire series on Steam because a friend tried to get me into Reunion multiple times but I could never do it. I will definitely have to revisit Albion Prelude after X:R and see if I’m more open to it.

X:R has its charms, but Albion Prelude is a true classic for me. Deploying a fully armed M7M in that game is one of the single most memorable moments in gaming ever for me, and well worth the 100+ hours I played to get to that point. It’s an amazing game.