X Rebirth

I’ve been thinking of trying Albion Prelude as well. What are the major differences between them anyway? Can you target individual ship parts in X3? Are there drones?

Very different games in many ways. No targeting individual ship parts, at least not in the way Rebirth does it. And no drones in the way Rebirth does it. But there’s a LOT of other things that Rebirth lacks.

And as I said: seeing a fully loaded M7M in action in Albion Prelude is an unforgettable experience. But it takes a lot of effort to get there. ;)

…partially because M7M’s break the game. (Or at least they did in TC.) (Though they’re still the only reasonable way to do boarding.)

But they are awesome and you should get them!

They’re less game-breaking in AP because of some rebalancing, but a fully loaded M7M is still able to clear a whole sector by itself and bring any computer to its knees. ;)

This is on sale and I’m tempted. Base game is $7.50 and from the sounds of it @Bateau is pleased. @BrianRubin have tried it since it went to 4.0? Your take?

I have, and it’s actually quite a good game.

I’d get the dlcs too to be honest, new sectors are pretty cool and they greatly expand the universe. Not that vanilla game is small though, in fact I was quite shocked when I saw how big it really is.

@BrianRubin: Have you tried The new frontier mod yet? It’s in active development and seems really promising, but I haven’t had the chance to try it out yet.

I’ve not, where can I find it? A Google search isn’t helpful since “Frontier” was in one of the previous game names. ;)

https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=394031

Well that looks FASCINATING. I should see if it works with all the other mods I’ve installed.

Thanks for bumping this, I picked up the complete pack for $12. I loved X3 but avoided Reborth after the terrible reviews. The posts above seem positive enough that I am taking the plunge. :-)

I have put 10 hours into XR, mostly in the “tutorial” campaign and messing with simple QOL mods. It seems deep, which is echoed in the positive reviews since 4.0.

In your experience - how deep is it? Just a thin gloss of “wow cool all NPC pilots have actions queued and really travel places, but that doesn’t impact gameplay at all” or does this depth make the game more fun?

For the record, I am not an X3 purist, I am ok with XR being less of an economic sim and more of a space city sim. I am not going to spend 200 hours in this world. But has anyone explored this world in detail since 4.0?

Answering myself: yes, X Rebirth 4.30 is deep and fun. I keep wanting to post more, but I don’t want to stop playing. ;-)

I played the campaign for a few hours until I got a hang of things, and got the right mods.

I just restarted with the New Frontiers mod. Its too soon to say, but so far it seems cool. Makes the world dynamic with fixed funds, ships and stations per faction, so they need to buy / build new things instead of having them “magically” respawn from the faction scripts.

I went into X:R very very hesitant, I remember all of the issues and reviews from 2013. However, in 2018 its a fun, immersive, deep game. I am going to mess around some more.

I will post again if I manage to unearth some cool parts of New Rebirth.

Please do post more TNF impressions. I’d like to return to the game once I clear my current short term backlog and TNF sounds exactly what I’d want from the game - dynamic universe with conquest mechanics.

Are you using it with any other mods?

I have 32 mods loaded via Steam. Here is the list:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/milspec-org/myworkshopfiles/?appid=2870&browsefilter=myfavorites&browsesort=myfavorites&p=1

EDIT: In addition, I also have the following installed via Nexus, and I will keep this post updated:

• No Highway Music
  • Tactical Map
  • Tactical Map - Vanilla Command Set

So far New Frontier seems to be running fine. I was a little concerned about the extension errors, but EDIT these red mods are compatibility packs with things I don’t have installed.

When the game loads is shows the New Frontiers starts. I choose Terran Commander, mostly because it offered the least cash. Maybe because it starts with some fighting ships?

Mod options are via Police Chiefs. I want to call one to confirm the mod is loaded properly. So far after scanning all of the stations in 6 sectors I have not seen one Police Chief. :-)

I am running small missions, making cash. First goal is to get some basic ships upgrades so I can fight from the Skunk. Second goal is to save up enough to buy a basic trading ship to make some more cash. Third goal is to find an enemy front and see how dynamic New Frontier really is.

Good to know, thanks!

Figured it out. Those red errors are mods that have compatibility patches that are not loaded. I am not using those mods … but now I am curious what they do, if they are so good the team released patches for them.

Its these mods:

EDIT: They all add new sectors / stations. I am not interested - the game feels plenty big!

Can you elaborate on what you mean by a space city sim?

Re-downloaded this, and I’m planning to give it a real chance sometime soon. Is anyone aware of a good modding guide, other than re-reading @milspec’s postings above?

I need a good space game in my life :)