X Rebirth

Thanks for doing the legwork! Yeah, get both if you want to jump in.

Thanks for the info and the links!

I dipped my toe into Terran Conflict, Albion Prelude and Rebirth. The first two are right up my alley. Rebirth OTOH feels like an attempt at infusing RPG/FPS elements into a space sim. Is my impression correct? Because if so, even if the game is ‘fixed,’ I know it won’t be for me.

That’s giving it too much credit. It’s just a mess.

Star Citizen? I thought that was due out in 2016? How can they have a free weekend?

You can try all the ships in the Arena thingy, provided you’re able to connect to a game :)

hey guys, come help me share in the pain - http://www.twitch.com/spacegamejunkie

I don’t know why but that is taking me to a Hearthstone tournament.

Same. I ordered a Rubin, dammit!

got to it through search

Hah Brian your voice is nothing like what I imagined.

Oh god, sorry guys, no idea why that didn’t work - http://www.twitch.tv/spacegamejunkie

Here’s the vid itself

You mean you didn’t imagine he would sound like a choir of angels?

Decided to give this a try since free weekend and i liked the original game.

Seemed to start off well. Then i spent literally 5-10 minutes just driving on a highway in one of the very early missions. Gone are the days that i am willing to accept doing absolutely nothing for long periods of time in a game. I don’t understand why they thought this was acceptable.

To make matters worse, you need to constantly move around to follow other ships or it is even slower. So i have all of this downtime, but i can’t not pay attention either!

My kingdom for a fast travel from jump points system.

Eh? You mean in the highway? That was removed a couple patches ago, now you just speed up inside on your own.

Yeah, the mini-game is gone. One problem with a free weekend for X is that it’s pretty damn hard for a newcomer to get a grasp on the totality of playstyle options in a few hours.

My brief impressions. It’s better. And with mods available to remove the need for quite a bit of the “walking” around bits, it’s tolerable. I really couldn’t get a good sense for the economy or the wealth of customization options that were missing from the first iterations, however. And the character models are still disturbing. How good is it as an empire builder? I really don’t know.

Murbella, X games have always had these stretches of flying where you “do nothing”. At a certain point in all the previous games, this time ends up getting used for remote management of your assets. Haven’t gotten far enough in Rebirth to tell if this pace is in there, too.

And the free play ended at 4pm eastern yesterday – I thought it ran through Sunday evening. So I spent most of my day doing chores, and sat down to try out TC, AP and Rebirth in late afternoon, and they were gone. Why end a free weekend before the weekend is over?

So instead I watched a couple more vids and then bought the Terran pack with TC and AP, because $7. Printed out the Terran Conflict for Dummies pdf, and now its time to dive in…

Congrats, tyler! I think you’ll have a lot of fun with those.

I’m thinking of going back and picking up my in-progress TC total conversion game. Or a new start with AP. Hmmm.

So my verdict on this went from “no fucking way” to “…meh? maybe it’s okay?”

“I have played worse games”