X Rebirth

Not that I want to hijack the Rebirth thread, but…

Steam almost lost a sale to me with the way they handle this free weekend business. I logged into Steam specifically because I’ve been meaning to buy AP for a year or more, and when I went to the AP page to buy it I saw the green bar saying ‘you have this game in your library’. So then I thought I’d already purchased it ages ago and just forgotten, so I dug around trying to figure that out in the library before I finally realized it was just a free weekend and the ‘add to cart’ button was further down the store page.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to exploring, trying all the new missions and campaigns added to TC and AP, and dusting Xenons and Khaaks… But first I need to get into FS2 so I can join the classic game club. Yay for space sims.

I did the same damn thing.

And why end the free play trial at 4pm eastern/1pm Pacific when the sale runs through early Monday? Isn’t Sunday evening a time when folks are likely to have time to sit down and try a game, at the end of a busy RL weekend.

That said, I do appreciate the free weekend for these games. I installed TC, AP, and Rebirth. Quickly disliked Rebirth, but purchased (as noted above) the other two. I read the X3:TC for Dummies guide on the train this morning, it has a lot of great stuff to get going.

So what is the deal with the highways in this thing? Did they replace SETA, or the jumpgates between systems?

No, those still exist, but they take you to different regions now or some such. You take highways to get to gates. It’s wackadoo.

Yeah, think of it as a giant airport. The “highways” are the motorized walkways that make you feel like a superhero racing down the corridors. Oh, what’s that? You see a little kiosk you want to stop by? Hop off the motorized walkway. However, when you really want to get someplace far away, you have to get to your gate. You can walk on your own and let it take forever, or hop back on those motorized walkways.

Oh yes, in those walkways you can bump into and shoot people with nary a consequence, and watch them bounce around like pinballs. Hilarious.

Very true! Apparently once I caused a major traffic accident, but the end result was five other ships getting tossed out of the tube along with me - OH NO! How ever will they cope?!? Oh … we’ll all fly back into it.

Yeah, now I have to play this, dammit! You aren’t helping Mr Rubin…you aren’t helping!

IT’s not worth it just for that, unless you get it on deep sale.

Oh believe me, even after your somewhat modified review, that’s the ONLY way I’m buying it. It is rather pretty though.

I paid like $7 back when Best Buy was clearing their shelves of physical copies. I think I overpaid in relation to the two or so hours I messed with it. :(

Well, I HAVE it already - bought on the premise of the rather wonderful graphics it actually boasts in space :-)

I’ve purchased a TON of games, I haven’t spent more than 20-30 minutes on (Sid Meiers Starships comes to mind) so its not that its such a bad purchase, compared to what I normally do ;-)

So patch 4.0 comes out today (actually, it’s apparently out), along with the Home of Light DLC. Lots of changes and improvements in this one, it seems. I’ll try it out this week and report.

Brian, you might as well play it, right? Right? ;)

“Show me your wares, pleeease”

I’m gonna dive in this weekend. Might even stream it, since that’s always a good time.

That should be a good watch :)

Possible to start with v1.0 and then switch to v4.0 to see the ‘upgrades’ :)

I’ve already done a few vids already, so you can see those first. No idea how downgrade a game.

Play Albion Prelude and then Rebirth. That’s how you downgrade a game. ;)

Boooooom goes the dynamite.

Let us know when you re-berth Rebirth. I’m curious if this iteration will be more worth my time than the last.