X Rebirth

I’ll likely stream some of it on Saturday. In case I forget to come here – which I very much might – keep an eye on my Twitter.

https://twitter.com/spacegamejunkie

Make it a console port? Run it in WINE?

Shit, I thought I posted here but I didn’t. Just streamed 2 hours of it. GAH.

“Show me your wares, please?”

“Shut up, Betty!”

;)

Was it marginally better?

In a nutshell

So I started another playthrough to test the 4.0 changes. The writing and voice acting are as abysmal as ever (“show me your wares, please”), but I’m actually having a pretty good time so far. They fixed the terrible hacking mission, the new bulletin board system works great, it feels more balanced. I’ll certainly keep playing at least until I see all the new content in the DLCs.

Wow, they released this game in late 2013. It’s been almost 2.5 years. Kudos that they’re still trying to fix it I guess.

I almost forgot I had bought this game. I expected some bugginess coming from egosoft, but this was something else entirely. It was easily my biggest disappointment in my last 5 years of gaming.

Well, they’re trying to salvage it. It still has numerous design issues, but I find it (mostly) enjoyable now. That said, I have become pretty good in overlooking some games’ flaws if I like something about them, so YMMV.

I just got bit by a spaceship bug after watching The Expanse and my first thought was to give X-Rebirth another chance. I don’t own the latest DLC (Home of Light) however - is the game still worth playing without it?

I’d say so. I haven’t played the game without the Home of Light expansion, but I do know that most of the improvements were added in the 4.0 patch, which applies (mostly) to the base game.

How soon can you access the DLC content? First I’d have to familiarize myself with the game anyway and if I can’t access the new content right away then I’m not missing out on much.

No.

You’re welcome.

Thanks, I’ll check it out. Do either of the Evochron games have any kind of story (or an end goal to work towards) and/or RPG elements?

Evochron notwithstanding, I think it’s worth it to check out Rebirth at this point – especially if you have it already. As mentioned above, the meat of the changes are included in the base game, so it’s not necessary to invest in the DLC until you know you’ll like it.

I have Evochron, and can’t get into it. I think sometimes Brian forgets that not all his audience are hardcore flight simulatantasts, and just regular people. I’d say X-rebirth is pretty good now, actually.

Thanks for pointing this out, I should’ve mentioned that I’m not really interested in a hardcore flight model (at least at the moment), I’m mainly looking for a spaceship game with various things to do. Based on the new 4.0 X-R videos it looks like it will fit the bill.

It has optional quests you can activate, as well as light RPG elements such as levels depending on missions completed and the like.

I do not, the flight model can be severely tweaked to be near-arcade like, and flown with a mouse and keyboard if one wishes. I’d not have recommended it otherwise.

Does it have to be a first-person sim? If not I’ve got other suggestions.

Not necessarily, I’ve also thought about giving Space Rangers HD a shot. But it does have to be a ‘serious’ game with some depth. Something like Rebel Galaxy wouldn’t work for me.