X-Wing / Tie-Fighter to be digitally re-released on GoG

I’m the opposite, I’ve yet to play much of Balance of Power, but X-Wing and TIE Fighter are legendary.

They’re out!!! X-Wing and TIE Fighter!! YAY!

TIIIEEEEEEE FIGHTEEEEERRR!!!

Edit: lol, didn’t see Brian Rubin’s post above mine.

Too quick on the trigger for ya, son. ;)

There aren’t many games in the Disney catalog I’m interested in, but I would really love to see TRON 2.0 on GOG as well.

Get your TRON shit out of my Star Wars shit!

You shut your mouth when you’re talking to me!

Installing.
Time to name all my pilots so they can die when I get to a Y-Wing mission.

That’s super contradictory!

They even got the strategy guide in there. Very nice. Always wanted to read it but never got around to buying a copy.

I had both strategy guides back in the day. They were like 250 page books.

That’s half the appeal of them, actually. They’re almost more like books than guides.

Man, I don’t have a 'stick any longer, and haven’t for years. Does this work with a controller? Ew. I’m not sure I even want to try. I should just invest in a cheap joystick before I plug any money in for this.

Yeah, it was awesome how they inserted a narrative in the strategy guides. I found a copy of the TIE Fighter strat guide in almost mint condition in a used bookstore about 10 years ago and bought it on the spot.

So what’s the difference between 1993/1994 and 1998? Is the 1998 the XvT version that sucked?

But does the 1994 TIE Fighter have the complete collector’s edition, or is that only in 1998?

The absolute best version of TIE Fighter was the 1995 CD-ROM edition (DOS-only) that upgraded the graphics to SVGA (640x480). The 1995 CD-ROM also had the second expansion, Enemies of the Empire, in it; you couldn’t buy it separately if you had the original floppy version of the game. The 1998 release ported the game altogether to the XvT engine and ripped out the iMuse system.

The major differences are the graphics engine (1998 was remade in a more proper 3D engine and admittedly looks quite a bit prettier than 1994) and the fact that the 1998 version replaced the dynamic iMuse soundtrack with a recording of audio from the movie soundtrack for in-mission flight. The dynamic soundtrack is so good that it makes the 1994 version the definitive one by default. 94 should have the complete game with all the expansion content, as well, since none of that was 98 exclusive.

It should have been the 1995 collector’s edition that GOG delivered; not the 1994 version. UGH…

The 1995 edition was basically the 1994 one with both expansions directly included, AFAIK. Maybe someone can confirm exactly what it is they included with the GOG bundle, since I can’t do that for another eight hours or so.

1995 was 1994 with SVGA instead of VGA graphics (640x480 vs 320x240). It also had full-audio voice briefings (floppy version did not). And it added the second and final expansion, Enemies of the Empire, which was not made available separately on floppy disk. (If you bought the original 1994 release on floppy; LucasArts later released the first expansion, Defender of the Empire, as a separate retail package).

I downloaded the 1994 from GOG and it’s the original floppy release. As a result, I’ve written a lengthy email to GOG explaining why they need to release the 1995 version.

Someone on the GOG forums from GOG confirmed that the DOS version has all thirteen battles, which does make it complete.

Guys, GOG version of the game has all of the 13 battles, which means both expansions are there. I have no idea why the gamecard isn’t listing the Enemies of the Empire, I’ll check with the relevant people.

Sadly it’s still not the CD-ROM version.