Cave Story, anyone seen this?

Hey everyone. I know freeware games aren’t brought up that often on this board, but I found this game recently and since I have played through Super Metroid and Castlevania: SOTN atleast a dozen times each, I absolutely loved this game.

http://agtp.romhack.net/doukutsu.html (dont forget the english patch)

If you liked Super Metroid, and can still stand to play some “old school” games, this one is fantastic. There is even a secret “hell” you can find.

Just thought I’d mention it since I see some people on the board liked SOTN.

Argh, with graphics that crappy we might as well play the actual classics of Super Metroid by using ZSNES. That’s just my thoughts.

Plus it would work on Linux too. We don’t all use Windoze you know. Heh.

so, should we all start posting in console threads, “we don’t all use ps2 you know…” or “we dont’ all use PSP you know…” YOU INSENSITIVE CLODS heh…

give it up already igor, this isn’t slashdot

Maybe it’s not but the point bar Linux still stands. One can always go back and replay the original instead of some remake.

Also I actually am using Linux and I actually could play Super Metroid right this moment by running zsnes, opening up SM… Except I like Super Mario World better ;). I just do, :).

It’s not a remake, it’s original. (as far as I was aware of)

I seem to remember reading somewhere about it being ported to Linux, possibly by the same team that worked with the creator to translate it.

Oops, I think I misunderstood what you meant with that post, my bad.

If you havn’t played it, really it’s worth the few hours it takes, and it has suprising depth and great great playability. Probably will be in my top 5 games of the year.

Don’t judge the book by it’s cover, graphics are not everything.

Eventually the game got so far into finding ways to artificially extend my play that I quit.

I will admit, when you get to the grasslands you do a lot of running back and forth getting things, but after that you spend much of the time making your way through new areas. Like I said earlier, I would recommend it to those who liked Super Metroid and Castlevania: SOTN, where you also do a lot of backtracking.

I think my main complaint would be the lack of difficulty. Except for the hell level.

Except that if you do like those games, you should just get to back of the goddamn bus and replay them again and again and again and again and stop cluttering up our pristine WoW/Dom2 forums.

cool thanks I’m a huge metroid/caslteroid fan.

igor: the graphics are fine, wheres the flaw? looks very nicely done to me.

Just to reiterate: this game is fantastic. I’d kill for this on the Gameboy Color or the GBA, but even as a PC game, it’s got to be one of my favorite games of the year. Igor, as usual, is a total buffoon - the graphics are beautiful examples of pixel art. I think anyone who tries this would be surprised at its charm and depth. Apparently, the guy who made it took five years to do it and then swore off ever making another game again - he says he doesn’t even play video games anymore.

God knows what Igor is talking about in regard to “playing the original”, considering this IS the original. Out of curiosity, those of you who feel the need to respond to every post - have you ever stopped for even a second to consider whether or not you knew what you were talking about before doing so?

I’d be willing to bet WINE would run this in Linux anyway.

Moving my thread here, because I am retarded and cannot use search properly.

Rad game.

to be fair, this thread is 4 years old…

as is your discussion!

Have you tried Dwarf Fortress yet? Anyone heard of that game? it is pretty rad…

I kid, I kid…

I love this game so much, cave story is probably in my top 20 favorite games of all time.

Scott Sharkey did an awesome walkthrough/faq that had me lol’ing at times.

Awesome thread bump. Nearly jumped out of my chair, haha.

This is meant to be coming out on Wii soon though, right?

I never got more than an hour or so into this game, but I can tell I’d be really into it on a TV screen.

I heard there was a Wii variant coming or here already.

What really shocked me is how much control you have over the outcome of the game. I missed a lot of stuff, evidently, and will have to play back through the game, now, to get the Spur and a the Booster 2.0.

I always like games that let you finish them way early with a bad ending. That’s just a great, simple way to give players choice.

Wiki says Q3 2009 (I assume this is calendar year quarters). I saw a TIGSource post that said he originally wanted it out December 2008. So maybe this Christmas?

When I played this I thought that if pixel had released it for the NES or something 20 years ago, he’d be a multimillionaire by now. Hope this Wii release helps a bit.

Dunno if he coulda done it on a NES. LOTS of moving things at once. This is a balls out shooter at times.

Just restarted after getting the rocket. I missed a LOT of stuff, and left someone behind that I should have saved! The only thing I am really dreading is getting that old lady’s dogs. That kinda sucked.

Most games like this do not allow you to make choices like this. You can’t do A until you have item B. But Cave Story strikes an excellent ballance between that type of restriction, and allowing you to make personal and locally-relevant moral choices.

Here is hoping that when/if this is released for Wiiware, the supposed DLC that will be released for it will equate to more than just a different looking character outfit, time trial mode, or something of the sort. Of course it is pretty ridiculous for me to think this way.

Oh and thanks for reviving what I believe was my first thread here ever. the nostalgia makes me feel warm inside.