Morrowind finished in 14:26

http://speeddemosarchive.com/Morrowind.html

That’s 14 MINUTES 26 SECONDS.

Found it at Gaming Age. Haven’t watched it yet myself, but knew it had to be posted here.

–Dave

There’s a finish to the game? Hmmm…

Anyway, I have never understood these speed gamers. What’s the point? It’s like watching a movie on fast forward, or just reading the first and last page of a book. I don’t even finish 3/4 of the games I play, and that doesn’t bother me at all. The journey is everything.

As someone who probably put well over 50 hours into Morrowind but never finished it, I was curious as to what the finale was like.

After watching that video- that was it? The final battle and ending seemed pretty underwhelming. Hell, the final dungeon there looked no different than numerous dungeons from earlier in the game.

I think the point is that they challenge themselves. It’s also a high score, of sorts in games where there is no other measurable way to compare performances.

I finished Morrowind in about 30 minutes myself. After the 20th or so, “speak quickly outlander or go away”, I took the go away branch, and the victory.

What the ??? Don’t you need to equip the Wraithguard in order to kill Dagoth Ur?

I dunno but looks like he was using at least one plugin

Mage teleport to Ald-ruhn
I don’t recall there being mage teleportations in vanilla Morrowind

I dunno though, the thing with Morrowind is that you could look at the editor and find out everything that you need… not quite the same as doing speed runs in FPSes.

Plus you could reload whenever a spell failed, or make some kind of script that would “rest” really quickly and then cast the spell again, I dunno… :-\

Mage teleportation was absolutely in the base game.

Really? I always thought it was a really popular plugin. I guess I was wrong :P.

Its interesting from a gameplay point of view to see how the game world can be manipulated to create a “sucess” in as little time as possible - much like the 8 move checkmate in chess

Alpha Centauri has amazing savegames with completion in 150 turns for example. Of course its more fun as a player to experience the game the way it was designed, but for people who look at games like games and not linear experiences you can tweak its very fascinating to see how much the system can be bent and broken

One of the many flaws in doom3 is that speedmapping is now an old tradition, rendered pointless by the fact that the game is so linear. (to be fair, it also comes from the fact that quake 3 also had a similar phenomenom from being so nonlinear) that Watching speed runs in doom and quake was just as fun as professional multiplayer recorded demos

It’s a way to add an artificial sort of replay value. For many games, you need an insane degree of mastery in order to even think about a speed run, so you put a lot of practice in to attain that high score.

I used to talk fairly regularly with a guy who has the European speed records for Resident Evil 2 and Dino Crisis 2, and the kinds of things you need to just know are pretty mind-boggling.

I’m a little unsure what I’m seeing here. The character doesn’t appear to have Wraithguard … but does have the hammer Sunder (which can only be equipped when using Wraithguard), and I don’t think he actually picks up Sunder, either. (It just sort of appears in his hand, doesn’t it?)

Peter

He gets Keening and Sunder (the details as to where are in the notes) but not Wraithguard.

He mixes a ton of fortify intelligence potions drinking them as he makes them, increasing their potency as he continues. I couldn’t read it too clearly but his intelligence was way over 3000 at one point. He then starts making other potions and due to his enormous intelligence, they are very potent.

Before he equips Sunder and fights Dagoth Ur he quaffs a few Restore Health potions which looked like they restored 70+ hit points per second. I believe it is the Restore Health potions which keep him alive while wielding Sunder without Wraithguard.

Thanks, Sean. I’m afraid it was too fast for me, and I couldn’t follow everything. (I’d overlooked the notes, and confused the Warhammer of Wounds with Sunder.)

While I have no ambition (or skill) to play a game this way, I have to admit it’s ingenious. (Even deconstructive, in its way.) A kind of “Morrowind Xtreme” that somehow puts me in mind of the super-hard quests unlocked when I finished Mafia.

Peter

That was my impression as well back when I finished the game. The tiny final dungeons were seriously disappointing. Looks like they just ran out of time to properly design the last stages.

Sounds like he’s using the flaw that I had to use, but that then ruined the game for me. Mix Int potions, drink, repeat until super Int potion. While Int is 2-3k, Permanent Enchant something (amulet) to permanent fly, thus getting around the dreadful, dreadful walk speed and annoying trash monsters on the roads.

Unfortunately, kiting was hyper-effective, and I’m a douchebag, so I kited my way to all the uber armor and weapons in no time.

H.

p.s. On reflection, it was still the endless travel that killed the game for me. Brilliant otherwise, but just not made for non-hardcore gamers.

Though it may seem pointless, I believe these speedruns are just like the 100m. Even though proving that you are the fastest runner (for a given region), doing so won’t help solve world hunger. It’s ‘just’ a competition, it’s ‘just’ another way to entertain, and so on.

All these reasons for speed gaming make sense, I suppose. I guess it just isn’t to my taste. Of course, I hardly ever replay a game once, much less the number of times it woudl take to set up something like this. But if that’s what some people find entertaining, more power to them.

I just love the idea that there’s this super powerful, god-like villain who has around 14 minutes to live as soon as this puny, level 1 character with a perfect game plan steps off the boat.

That made me laugh hard. Although when it comes to free-form RPG quick runs, I do prefer the Fallout 2 power-armor run through to this because it seems like it exploited less of the flawed game mechanics – I felt super cheap using the intelligence-boosted alchemy at all in Morrowind, let alone the exponential increase type stuff.

I just love the idea that there’s this super powerful, god-like villain who has around 14 minutes to live as soon as this puny, level 1 character with a perfect game plan steps off the boat.

Dagoth (looking at watch): “Shit. Bastard’s probably at Ghostgate by now. Fuck.”