Good PSP or DS games for a long airplane ride?

So I’m leaving for morocco tomorrow, and I’ve got a friend with both a PSP and a DS (light, I think), that he’s willing to loan me for the 13 hour flight from Seattle to London. What’s interesting for both systems. I have no real preferences, though I suppose action-rpgish stuff is good. I’m mostly just looking for GOOD games that are also interesting.

New Super Mario Bros, Tetris DS, Mario Kart, Advance Wars. You’re all set. Leave the PSP at home.

Advance Wars is enough for 13 hours so leave the plumbers and that Russian game at home too…
(actually, I’m sure Mario Karts is good, I just haven’t tried it).

If you’re after Action-rpg then neither of Whittas suggestions hits the mark.
Monster Hunter and Untold Legends 2 for the PSP would be better choices then (Untold Legends 2 on Toms recommendations, I haven’t tried it, and the first got old really fast).
Other great games that aren’t rpgs: Tekken, Lumines, Hot Shot Golf and Burnout Legends - all for the PSP.

What size of Memorystick did your friend include? A couple of movies, when gaming is too much work beats the inflight dreck.

Rocket slime is not bad for the DS ARPG territory.

I think it’s a 1gb stick. We’re flying British Air, so inflight entertainment should actually be pretty good. Is Monster Hunter good solo on the PSP? I played the original PS2 version and liked it for a while- is the PSP version a marked improvemnt in gameplay?

Antother question- does the PSP view comics/images very well?

Oh, and none of the suggestions so far have been terribly interesting. They just seem like the same old thing, just on a new platform. Where’s all the wacky experimental games for the handhelds?

They’re just consoles… but handheld. What made you believe they’d do wacky new stuff?
But the answer is easy - there’s one such game on the PSP: Loco Roco.
There’s a bunch on the DS, but I’ll have to defer to the experts on those.
None are action-rpgs as far as I know.

If you want to hear about Monster Hunter then search for Toms thread/review of the game.

And the PSP is terrific at showing pictures and video. Some would say that as a games console it’s sad that it’s a better picture viewer.

I had a lot of fun playing Trace Memory on a recent plane flight. It’s not terribly long, but I think I got about 8 hours out of it. It’s an adventure game that makes pretty good use of the DS hardware.

bring about 4-5 fully charged batteries, too.

Meteos for DS. If you’ve never played it before, use the plane ride to open up and buy all the planets. Then you can return the game.

Wipeout Pure (with the download addons) and Everybody’s Golf (aka Hot Shots Golf, I get confuddled about what it’s called where) should cover you for the PSP. Monster Hunter if you want something more “wacky”.

RPG: Mario & Luigi Partners in Time

This is your best bet, IMO. It’s a pseudo real-time rpg, where you select moves then have to pressbuttons at the right time to do more damage or make combos. I got bored with it about 20 hours in, but it will definitely keep you busy for a good while.

My favorites in other categories:

Strategy: Battles of Prince of Persia
Adventure: Phoenix Wright
Puzzle: Meteos
Action: Castlevania

For PSP:
Hot Shots Golf
Lumines (action-puzzle)
Loco Roco (action-puzzle)

Oh…if you want wacky/experimental then try these:

DS:
Trauma Center
Electroplankton (not sure how long this will occupy you…it’s not really a game but more of a music toy)

PSP:
Loco Roco (worth mentioning again…a 2d platformer with simple yet challenging control scheme and fantastic style).

Another posibility is Mercury Meltdown. This one just released and may be up your alley. You guide a molten blob of metal around various obstacles in a maze. This is a sequel and you can get the first one on the cheap, but there are supposed to be some improvements in this one.

Rocket Slime is interesting.

Under no circumstances is Untold Legends (the first one is the only one I have) on the PSP interesting. Nonetheless, there’s something about it that works very well with the half-awake state my brain goes into whenever I’m on a plane. I can’t deal with games that need a lot of thinking or twitch skill when I’m on a plane, but Untold Legends just works for me. My brain is mostly shut down, I’m running through bland dungeons whacking everything in sight, deciding whether to keep or sell loot requires no thought, and the hours just melt away.

When I’m not flying, I don’t really like Untold Legends, but when I’m on a plane it’s practically all I play.

Are you really allowed to bring gameboys onto airplanes?

You’d figure that those things would be at least as dangerous as, say, toothpaste and nail clippers.

That is terrible advice. Advance Wars is great and gives you 13 hours of gaming easily, but not 13 hours of consecutive gaming. Bring a wider selection of games, and bring Brain Age so you can play some Sudoku. Sudoku is a great time waster, it makes half hour chunks disappear like magic.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

Castlevania is the best game on either system and it’s an ARPG, get that if you don’t already have it. It’s not conceptually interesting, but there are lots of goofy gameplay gimmicks to keep surprising you. Kirby Canvas Curse is good and I’m a little surprised nobody has mentioned that.

Monster Hunter is awesome, but it’s a port of the PS2 version.

Advance wars dual strike. $19.99 and endlessy FUN.

Soooo I’ve got a couple of 13 hr flights (Agentina and back) coming up - and I’ve got a DS.

Im a neophyte DSer - help a brother out.

I had Splinter Cell Pandora and Metroid Pinball for my last (a mere 6 hr) flight and played a lot of pinball.
Splinter Cell was OK but I couldn’t help compairing it to the console original and my hand started to cramp from moving the camera around.

From reading this thread I’m thinking - Trauma Center, Rocket Slime or Advance Wars.

I’m curious about Brain Age, and what Madden 07 would play like.

Also, racing games - any good ones?