Need boardgame suggestions to introduce a beginner to gaming

I’m looking for a boardgame to introduce a friend to gaming that I would also enjoy. I’ve been out of the boardgaming loop for years as I migrated to computer gaming over 10 years ago. I think a fantasy boardgame would be a good option but am open to others. I’ve played very complicated board games in the past (ASL is my favorite) so I would like something that would hold my interest as well as be good to get someone else interested in gaming. In other words, to whet their appetite for more complicated games.

http://www.hasbro.com/heroscape/

Neat miniatures, easy to learn, lots of expansion possibilities. Does this work?

Settlers of Catan might fit the bill. It’s kind of fantasy, but has very simple mechanics yet is a very fun game.

If you’d like something a little more involved with more of a theme the new World of Wracraft game isn’t bad. I wouldn’t say it’s as fun as Settlers, but it might be more to your liking.

There’s also a great new fantasy game coming out by the designer of the game Memoir '44 called Battlelore. It’s got simple rules, nice bits, and a strong fantasy theme. It’s not out yet, but will be soon.

I like Settlers of Catan. The mechanics are very elegant and it relies on the players diplomatic interaction with each other.

edit: what Sepiche said :)

Heroscape looks good! Would Settlers make a good 2 player game? I forgot to mention it needs to work well for 2 people.

Don’t do Settlers if it’s just two people. Seems to me most Euro-boardgames, at least non-card based, aren’t really good for just two people.

It also totally depends on what kind of gaming you think he’d dig. If he’d like cool little pieces, lots of tactile-ness, and simple mechanics, Days of Wonders’ Memoir '44 is a great primer boardgame. It’s very much like playing with army men and there’s nothing tough to wrap your head around.

However, if you’re okay with some degree of abstraction, for a two-player fantasy game, you absolutely cannot go wrong with Knizia’s Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation. And it will be the perfect “gateway drug”. Seriously, ignore anyone in this thread who doesn’t back me up on this one. :)

-Tom

It’s 3-6 players if I recall.

I’ll back you up on that one. :)

I’ll even say that if you both enjoy confrontation and like the Middle Earth theme then War of the Ring is a great two player game. More complex then your average game, but it captures the books well and has excellent bits.

s

Carcasonne = good for two people. I like the tile placing games, different board every time adds variety. My wife even played and she has always been more of a traditional board game gamer.

Um, I don’t want to pimp myself but I’ve written a few articles on these things. I would suggest Carcassonne for sure. It’s great with 2 people. if you get a couple more, then Ticket to Ride.

If you guys like World War II, then look at memoir 44

It’s funny you should mention this, as my boardgaming group just put together a list this past Saturday.

Highlights:

Settlers of Catan

Pros: Simple and fun. Every game is a bit different from the one before, but setting up the board is pretty painless. Several expansions, each of which is fun and adds to the game. Home of the “Got Wood, Need Sheep” joke.

Citadels

Pros: Pretty cheap and portable, almost instantaneous setup. Great game all around.

Shadows over Camelot

Pros: One of, if not the best coop games out there. Coop is nice for beginners because you can help them out and there’s less of a feeling like they’re sucking at the game.

2 player games? You must try out Memoir '44. Not only is it a fantasic 2 player experience, but it is very easy to learn yet has amazing depth. My girls (8-10) can play it and like it. It also plays in about 30-45 minutes. Another plus. If you find you enjoy it, you can pick up some expansions later.

Everyone likes Ticket to Ride, I’ve found.

Carcassone is good for beginners. Can be played by 2, and as competitviely and non-competitively

The expansions are pretty good too. Extra tiles, gimmicks, but they work well with the original game.

Some people like the spinoff - “Hunters and Gatherers”

I did not find it much different.

Ticket to Ride’s not bad, but after a few tries, I realized it’s not terribly interactive and I lost interest. I like doing things to other people, which is why I’m not a big train game fan.

Settlers is definitely the classic gateway game, but not good for two. There is a two-player card game based on Settler’s that’s not bad.

RoboRally is a good, complex, works-with-two-player game. I haven’t played the revised version, but it looks basically the same as I remember.

Ticket to Ride is actually one of the most interactive games out there, especially as a two-player game. The game is all about anticipating what your opponent is going to do, and then blocking it. However, this doesn’t become obvious until you’ve played the game a couple dozen times or more. The game plays completely differently when you know the routes, the tickets, and can make a decent guess as to what tickets your opponent has just based on his card draws. And then, your opponent’s job is to misdirect you.

I second Tom’s suggestion of Reiner Knizia’s Lord of the Rings. Probably the best two-player Euro boardgame ever.

We really need more information about your hopefully soon-to-be fellow boardgaming friend. Their interests, for example, as well as their tolerance for learning curves and reading comprehension. For people unversed in boardgaming (you know, the type that somehow grew up without ever playing Monopoly, Risk, and Stratego) the entire process of assimilating a game’s rules and then synthesizing them into gameplay decisions can be quite daunting.

My wife grew up in a family that played cards. I don’t think she ever saw a boardgame until she met me. But many cardgames have sufficient complexity (good lord, have you ever tried Bridge?) that picking up rules systems was a breeze for her. She even bucked up and got into playing Mageknight with me when that stuff first hit.

I have other friends for whom getting them to try a game of Risk over beer and pretzels was a significant undertaking and who turned tail and ran when I tried to break out something like Axis and Allies. Pathetic, I know.

It’s my opinion that there aren’t really very many satisfying bona-fide boardgames for two players. Even the ones that are “playable” by two players just aren’t as fun as they can be with more players. For that reason, I suggest tabletop card games as a good gateway drug to boardgaming:

There’s a 2-player card-based version of Settlers of Catan with a simplified ruleset that beginners find relatively reasonable to pick up.

For an even simpler card-based game, try to find Guillotine. It’s fairly interesting and even easier to pick up.

Of coarse CCG-type games offer a greater degree of complexity but might scratch that fantasy-themed itch you’re feeling. Of course these are no-go territory if your potential gaming partner is shy about learning relatively complex rulesets.

I hope this helps!

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=28145
http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=24031
http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=16263

• Alan

LotR: The Confrontation is definitely an awesome 2P game. If your friend likes fantasy stuff, you may want to keep an eye on the upcoming Battle Lore, from Days of Wonder. Think fantasy Memoir '44.

Tsk, beat me to it…

Anyone played the World of Warcraft board game? It looks interesting to say the least.