I sure hope that Utah gunman wasn't a gamer

Any one else had that thought? Ughh, just when Jack Thomspon was really embarassing himself the most, last thing we need is for him to be back en force.

Young, trench coat, calm… this sounds too familiar.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/13/salt.lake.shooting.ap/index.html

Don’t forget the gun, the lack of good role models, and a culture that values popularity over basic human kindness.

Games let you feel powerful, and particularly let you feel powerful over other people (whether in MP or, more typically, over AI-controlled “people”). So they are always going to be attractive to social misfits of the type who eventually go on real-life shooting sprees. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if this guy enjoyed violent computer games. The causality is just the reverse of what everyone thinks.

It’s reminds me of Star Trek: Star Trek fun and enjoyable for normal people, but unfortunately is also extremely attractive to complete weirdos who feel a need to completely escape into a fantasy life. Because those people are so unusual and remarkable, they come to symbolize what Star Trek stands for in the minds of the general public.

First thought I had when I heard the news this morning. Prolly played a lot of Dead Rising. People are freaks.

Time to ban trenchcoats once and for all. They look ridiculous anyway.

Given the popularity of video games nowadays, the probability approaches one that not only the shooter but his victims all played.

Preemptively defending games because of a psycho in a mall? Is this really necessary? If you want to start a political thread about this tragedy, how about bringing up the point that we don’t take care of our mentally ill?

Please, none of that matters. We MUST stamp out the young and the calm!

Has a news anchor mentioned “healing” yet?

We’re still trying to heal over the horrible tragedy that was Anna Nicole Smith’s death. We can’t take much more of this.

My point exactly. If games were a part of his life, that will push people to blame violent gaming instead of identifying and working with the real problems in society today. And Jack Thompson has probably already been on the phone calling everyone he knows in Utah blech

My healing won’t start until my download of Heroes has finished. Damn local news pre-empted the full episode to repeat the same info every ten minutes of that hour.

Yeah, and that Astronaught kidnapping thing. How many more ugly mug shots am I going to see?!

If it weren’t for that t&a test, I’d really be in need of some serious healing.

It’s almost self-predicting that an 18 year old male will have played video games and probably owns some.

Maybe they should search his home and see if there’s any salt there. Causes hypertension, you know. I blame salt.

Is salt a Murder Simulator?

Salt is a gog-danged gateway drug! Lets ban that shait!

I just hope he wasn’t a Muslim.

It would be horrid if young Muslim males got stereotyped as reckless thugs who like to maim and kill innocent people.

I heard he was. From Bosnia.

When will Muslims accept the Mormon State’s right to exist?

I don’t accept the Mormon State’s right to exist. Those wacky fuckers ganked all the best rock climbing and skiing spots.