System Shock 2 Rebirth

Holy crap! Check out what this guy is doing with his System Shock 2 upgrade models:

I have to say, I think the original cyber midwife is scarier, but the new one has better tits, so I think it is a change for the better.

Yeah, I was just checking those out a few minutes ago… probably about the same time you were. It looks damn fine. I’ll have to break out my SS2 disk from storage.

This is not your father’s protocol droid.

Was this a good game originally? I heard good things but never bought it.

Yes! :D

That’s pretty cool. Especially now that most gamer’s machines will have no problem with higher poly count models.

Nifty stuff… I’ve always been meaning to replay SS2 for a 4th time, maybe this’ll do the trick. :-)

It was a fantastic game. Go play it–you missed out.

The only thing that pissed me off about the game was the end – that last run down the fleshy hall toward the central “brain” room. Out of four character types, I only had the reload/load patience to get through it once. I don’t think it was tested enough for balance, at that point; in fact, I vaguely remember Irrational saying something to that effect…

I love how Rob posts things like this without any indication that he PROGRAMMED THE DAMN GAME! ;)

–Dave

Yeah, I’d be saying “THATS MY BESTEST GAME DAMMIT PEOPLES!”. Oh yeah AoM was good too Xemu!

BTW, System Shock 2 is my -greatest-first-person-experience-of-all-time- for-me! :) Beats out Half Life! There should be an SS3… such a shame wah…

etc

You said it, baby!

And DrC,

Thanks for posting the link-- when the mod’s ready, I’ll be downloading that sucker for sure…

SS2 left plenty of room for a sequel. If Warren Spectre’s ISA studio can pull off DX2 and Thief 3 (whatever it will be called), then I’d like to see them tackle SS3, possibly with the same modded version of Unreal Warfare they’re using for their current games.

Of course, Irrational would kick ass at designing SS3 – but ISA is halfway there with the spooky engine. :)

Just run. Thats how I beat that area :)

Allow me to be the obligatory nay-sayer:

SS2 does some things great, and other things really, really poorly. On balance, I thought it was terribly average.

One of mah homiez at caltrops.com wrote a review that… well, yeah, it sort of goes over the top in an attempt at exaggerated humor, but the key is that there’s a kernel of tru… in fact, many kernels of truth to it.

The thing that eventually just made me sick of the game was the combination of constantly degrading weapons with constantly respawning enemies. That got old very quickly, and completely destroyed what would have otherwise been a pretty decent FPS/RPG hybrid with a great sense of creepy atmosphere.

Of course, Ion Storm is owned by Eidos, and Electronic Arts owns the rights to System Shock, so that ain’t gonna happen.

Companies sell licenses all the time. Damn, let me dream! :)

As for that review linked above, he was right about the weapon degredation: It sucked. I either turned it off or greatly decreased it in the .ini file.

I liked the game a lot but that review was hilarious, and spot on with the issues it criticized (though they weren’t really that bad). Quote:

In the world of System Shock 2, the plumber is king.

System Shock 2 was actually a Mario game! :D

This game had some of the creepiest sounds. Ever.

Hooray for boobies.

She’s equipped to be a cybernetic wetnurse, if you know what I mean (wink wink nudge nudge).