It is now truly official: Webcomics suck

Of course, I’ll still enjoy them, but if this ain’t condemnation, I don’t know what is:

There are actually lots of pathetic people who can’t tell a joke for the life of them but know when to laugh at a good one.

Not that pvp is that great.

Had you not written that second sentence, I would’ve concluded that, indeed, Jim Davis was being sarcastic to the hilt in his statement.

Instead, no. Disappointing.

You know, I might not find Garfield to be the funniest comic in existence (Okay, I really don’t), but I tip my hat to Jim Davis for being such a cool guy.

Did you see what Jim said about Garfield Minus Garfield?

Very cool. There’s enough to be said for creating an iconic character.

Bad web comics, epitomized:

I don’t get it.

CAD is in the midst of a storyline where Ethan’s fiance’ has a miscarriage. Tim Buckley had a huge news post about it where he made a big deal about himself and the importance of his own comic, which he is wont to do. Even so, I still like CAD and continue to read it. I thought he recent “Choose Your Own Adventure” experiment was a lot of fun.

Isn’t CAD generally the epitome of horrible comme il faut videogame webcomics?

First, I admit I had to look up comme il faut. Second, yeah, CAD tends to stick to conventions, but Buckley tries new things once in a while. His goal is to present a cohesive story about his characters, sprinkled with one-offs and side tangents. I think he does a good job even if he comes off as a douche more often than not in his news posts.

To be fair to Buckley, it’s probably been years since I last read a CAD comic - it’s a relatively new comic compared to others, so there’s been ample time for him to improve CAD. Last time I did was during the seeming “videogame webcomics boom” - or maybe just my own discovery of said webcomics with Real Life Comics, VG Cats, Little Gamers, etc.

… Which reminds me how bloody sick I am of the ubiquitous theme of “X character in the comic wants to undertake Y big project, oftentimes creating an underground lair or a big computer/machine/AI”.

Of course, webcomics with plots as such or a focus on the lives of the main characters (Real Life Comics for instance) don’t really tickle my fancy anymore compared to those that generally only do singular strips such as VG Cats (which isn’t a good webcomic anymore, sadly). Penny Arcade does a good job at sticking at the latter category for the time being.

I only read P-A, which is funny about half the time (40% more than most!), and Gunnerkrigg Court, which is sequential art.
The P-A art has really improved over the years, too.

Oh, and I do sometimes check out VG Cats…it has its sick, twisted moments.

Tim Buckley is a piece of shit.

Power Up Comics was meant to make fun of CAD and manages to be better on a distressingly regular basis!

I still don’t get it. That’s not very funny at all.

Okay, it’s a little funny, but that’s it.

Don’t think it’s supposed to be.

… which is why I really can’t see why it’s there.

It seems to be a pretty common practice for comics to have some kind of “let’s get serious” storyline at some point in their lifespan. I never understood this practice. Webcomics and soap operas do not mix, but people keep trying to force them together. I used to write a webcomic about 5 years ago, and that experience instilled a kind of detestment in the whole culture of webcomics, if not the format itself, because of pretentious, artless attempts like this.

I’m a snob, I know.

It’s funny because he did it so he wouldn’t have to learn how to draw some copy and paste facial expressions for a baby, and because he hates his ex-girlfriend.

It makes me wish Lego Robot updated more.

That “Cyanide and Happiness” strip is funnier than it has any right to be.