Sacred 2

Just got Sacred 2 in for review, and I’m a bit flabbergasted by the acutely shit technical implementation of the game. It wheezes and stutters on a 9800 with 1024MBs of RAM, even when running in fairly low resolutions. The game does the same stuttering and framedropping on a different computer, meaning it’s not just my hardware configuration acting up.

I’m downloading the hefty first-week patch now, and I hope that this will make the game more playable, but as far as first impressions go, I’m not particularly impressed. Even the intro stutters and loses its audio on a fairly new and highly specced computer.

Anyone with similar or different experiences who can help me figure out what to do?

The game was released in a buggy state just like the first part.
German forums are full of people complaining and reviewers are mentioning it every time a new review comes up.

Advice to buyers: Wait 3-4 months until the problems are sorted out.
The first game was quite good after some patches.

Shame that they didn’t learn from the first game.

Ascaron are proud practitioners of the “Release Now- Patch Always” school of game design.

This isn’t out for another month in the UK, thankfully.

Is the German 360 version out yet, and if so what is performance like on that?

Only the PC version is out.
I read that the other versions are delayed into being of 2009.
Not the worst thing concerning the amount of bugs…

Yeah, i tried the demo on my laptop. Not a gaming rig, but 2GB of ram and a decent graphics card. It was a slideshow. I’ll be going for the 360 version, i had a lot of fun with Sacred and Sacred Underworld back in the day.

I tried Russian version for about 40-60 minutes and didn’t experience any stuttering on my 8800 GTS at the highest settings. There are lots of translation errors though and the game as a whole doesn’t feel as responsive or fluid as it should. I guess waiting for a couple of patches is a good idea.

BTW how was their support for the original?

They patched the original A LOT.

I would certainly install the day1 patch before making a determination. Nobody will be playing without it.

Hehe, did anyone else read that as a Radeon 9800 with 1024MBs of system RAM?

I ran the demo on an 8800GTS and it ran amazingly well with almost all settings maxed out.

I loved the original Sacred and can’t wait for Sacred 2. The month delay between the European and US releases is annoying, though.

Anyone know when this is out for Xbox 360?

Hehe yeah me

I read Sacred 2 has problems with certain Creative sound cards. Maybe that’s the reason for the stuttering.

I tried the demo on my 8800GT SLI and quad core setup and it was stuttery as hell. And it didn’t really look all that hot, either. The game may be good, but I was turned off enough by the performance that I just stopped playing it. I was hoping for another game to grab me like Titan Quest did for so long, but Sacred 2 ain’t it so far.

I liked the demo, definitely plan on picking it up when it comes out. Ran great on my machine, but then again it bloody well should. My biggest complaint about the original Sacred 2 was the skill system. The choice between bigger damage or shorter delays while casting was personally infuriating to me. Especially since so much of the game seem based on waiting for delays. A delay getting on and off the horse, a delay casting any skill, or a delay picking your nose.

Hopefully the sequel improves this aspect, I didn’t see anything as offensive in the demo but I didn’t really look at the skill system much either.

February 2009

What about Steam?

There must be something going on here because it runs beautifully on my laptop with an 8600M GT card (high, but not super high settings)…current desktop cards should eat it for breakfast. Driver or compatibility issues?

Well, it looks like the people saying it’s choppy (me included) are running at max settings. The game looks good, but not nearly good enough to be as choppy as it is on a system like mine. For me it was that weird sort of stuttering and not just bad framerate, so it’s possible it’s some SLI or multi-core CPU issue.