Sacred 2 up on steam; fans of third-rate eastern bloc gaming rejoice

well, i liked the demo. who else is playing this buggy, second-tier diablo clone?

The original Sacred wasn’t that bad. I might try this one out. Has anyone done a review on it yet?

I got it on Impulse. It’s a fucking huge download, though, so it’ll still be going into the night.

Me!

Although I should specify that I’m only playing it in short sessions between crashes. I spend most of my time either launching it or rebooting my computer after a hard lock. Whee!

-Tom

Is it similar to the first in that, once it received what are most likely much-needed patches, it’s a good conservatively-designed hack-and-slash loot whoring game experience?

I really enjoy it, but I should probably add that Sacred 2 has been rocksolid on my system.

Oh shit, no. And I said yes on reviewing it.

Its from the German developer Ascaron; so eastern block is not what I would have in mind…

My system’s performance is on the receiving end of a little Eastern block, if you know what I mean! Can I get a rim shot?

I think I’ve worked out most of my crashes by cranking all the visuals as low as they’ll go. When I’m feeling brave, I might start gradually folding in some of the pretty again. But for now, I don’t care if its butt-ugly. I’m content to just get to play without obsessively smacking the F9 key to quicksave.

-Tom

I’ll let you know once it’s received more of these much-needed patches. :) I’m reviewing it for 1up and they’re being pretty generous with the amount of time before the review is due. So hopefully I’ll get time with another patch or two. Because right now, it’s not a pretty picture.

-Tom

Ascaron is German. They’re not an Eastern Bloc country.

I liked the demo, have it on order from Amazon, which I would have canceled and ordered from steam since it’s out already but I already applied a coupon for $10 off, don’t think I get that back if I cancel.

Edit: NM, canceled, ordering on steam. Seems you instantly get your gift card money back, yay!

The demo has been impossible to play. So far, any 3d assets are not loading, causing my entire game experience to be just a stilted map.

Disappointing.

Have people forgotten the German Democratic Republic and its membership in the Warsaw pact so soon?

Also, how the heck can something this buggy pass certification for the consoles? The new OXM had a special extra wrap-around cover just for Sacred 2. That marketing money would seem wasted on an unfinished product.

Or maybe they are focusing on the console version at the expense of the PC version. Release now, patch later.

Nice try but Ascaron sits in the territory formerly known as “West Germany”.
The place NATO decided to use for nukes to slow the Russian tanks down enough to be able to counteract before the Red banner would fly over Paris. Yes we loved that plan a lot.

The X360 & PS3 versions aren’t due out until February, so presumably they haven’t passed certification yet.

Or maybe they are focusing on the console version at the expense of the PC version. Release now, patch later.

Perhaps you didn’t play the original Sacred, but it was pretty damn buggy when it was first released too. No need to blame consolitis for its developer’s inability to make a stable game.

OK, but I was responding to the claim that there was no way it could have been Eastern Bloc because it was Germany. Really, where the dev is located was a non-issue for me.

You have no idea how buggy it actually was unless you’ve played the German version, which came out a few months earlier. :)

I like it when a game demo makes my decision for me. This one certainly has. My wallet thanks Ascaron for the sweet crashing and horrible optimization. It’s going to make the rest of the holiday game purchases easier.

I actually kind of liked the demo, even though it was insanely slow and choppy, the animation was slow and clunky, my chick looked like a trailer park stripper, and it crashed. It was still kinda fun. With all the bugs though, I think I can wait it out until it hits 10$ cold hard cash.