What are you on the Dawkins scale?

Since it’s a pretty interesting system, I decided a poll is in order. It’s not perfect, of course, but better than the Christian/atheist split.

1. Strong Theist: I do not question the existence of God, I KNOW he exists.
  2. De-facto Theist: I cannot know for certain but I strongly believe in God and I live my life on the assumption that he is there.
  3. Weak Theist: I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.
  4. Pure Agnostic: God’s existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.
  5. Weak Atheist: I do not know whether God exists but I’m inclined to be skeptical.
  6. De-facto Atheist: I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable and I live my life under the assumption that he is not there.
  7. Strong Atheist: I am 100% sure that there is no God.

PS: Brazenly stolen from Damien Falgoust

I’m really more of a 6.5, as I am sure there is no God. But if I turned out to be wrong I wouldn’t be some jackhole who refused to accept reality.

You are a unique snowflake.

You are all in for a big surprise. That is all I have to say.

Strictly by the wording, I’m a 6, but that’s splitting a very, very fine hair. I think the existence of God is so massively improbable that, practically speaking, I might as well be a 7. But strictly technically, I do allow for the slimmest of possibilities that there might be a God who, for reasons unknown to us, acts exactly as if there wasn’t one at all.

Brain in a jar, BRAIN IN A JAR!

Even Dawkins has said in interviews that although in his book he says he’s a 6, it’s really more like a 6.9. I concur.

Assuming that that’s more unlikely than an interventionist god is buying into religions that say there is one, though. If there were a god or gods (and for the record, I voted “6” as well), it wouldn’t need a reason to act as though it didn’t exist, from our perspectives; if it’s possible for lowly humans to make things and then not interact with them afterward, it’s surely possible for an all-powerful god-type being.

I call myself a weak atheist but according to Dawkins’s scale I am a “de facto” atheist.

I do not assert the nonexistence of god but presume unproved things not to exist as a general rule.

It’s interesting that so far most people are gravitating to extremes (or neutral) on this issue. I guess I would have expected more unsurety on both sides.

Also, poll fail for not being public.

100% is so final. I think there being a God (supernatural) is as unlikely a thing as I can imagine. Like anything which the mind can invent or even things outside our ability, I’m willing to accept something if I have sufficient proof, but I put god way, waaaay below unicorns and dragons (at least, one-horned horselike animals and enormous lizards that breathed fire, not the magic kind of unicorns and dragons where they can talk and grant wishes or whatthefuckever) on the possible scale.

Well, I’m A Six Point Seven On The Richter Scale
I’ve Got Rhymes Gallot And Then I Never Fail
Like Gravy On Potatos, Luke To Darth Vader
I’m A Souped Up Sucker And I’ll See You All Later

I picked 7, but as discussed, 6.5-6.9 seems about right.

The difference between 5 and 6 seems to come down to your interpretation of “skeptical” versus “improbable”, and the “live [your] life under the assumption that he is not there” really applies to 5 as well. Or is this the category that goes to church twice a year just-in-case?

That uncertainty might be why you’re seeing more ‘extreme’ results there, since 6 is a more confident answer.

Im not sure where on this poll I would end up, I do believe there is some sort of supreme being, but I in general also reject our modern religions after the misfortune of growing up catholic.

Aw yeah, fundamentalist agnostics represent.

By my reading, that woudl be the 3s.

I’ll wager 200 Quatloos.

Your objectives are not the poll’s objectives.

The poll fail is for not including a “Subgenius Demi-Yeti” choice.

Hmmm… “Skeptical, and see no reason to really give a damn one way or the other.” 5ish is prolly closest, maybe 6. Dunno. Don’t care enough to be picky about it. :P