Game of the Month - October 2011

I guess you guys are too busy to start this, so I’ll do it. ;-)

Despite all the new releases, the only new game I played this month was Rage (at least after several days of trying to get it to run. I messed around with Distant Worlds and Sword of the Stars 1 after finishing that.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Finished it off in fine style mid-month. Excellent game, thoroughly enjoyed it. Very much hope for an equally entertaining sequel.

Since then, not really much of anything in particular, grazing on Steam backlog and XBLA esoterica (few minutes of Spacechem, a taste of Gatling Gears, you know how it is). Nothing really getting its hooks in. Renegade Ops came on strong after candytime on Halloween though.

Oddly, I’ve been on a real Depths of Peril kick lately. I say oddly, because it just happened to be a recent Steam Daily deal (which if you missed you lost out). It is really a fantastic ARPG + Strategy/Diplomacy game. I’m really enamoured with it right now. Owned it for a couple years, but I ended up diving right into Din’s Curse and never really gave it a fair shot until several weeks ago. I really can’t imagine a future where some new ARPG steals all the ideas in this thing and remakes it in some way.

I’ve been real tempted to do a write up of a playthrough. This one is really capturing my heart. It needs a sequel!

Borderlands: Bought this on a steam sale. Was worth the $7.5 (came with 4 dlc packs, I could’ve bought just the base game for $5). So far I’m having a lot of fun with it, though I haven’t bothered with multiplayer yet since I’d have to go out of my way to make some Gamespy account.

Still playing daily Spectromancer matches against my wife, we adore this game. It succeeds everywhere Magic The Gathering 2012 failed.

When we haven’t been playing Spectromancer we’ve been delving back into the beautiful world of Titan Quest, a really excellent purchase that was on sale for $5 recently. We owned a couple boxed copies of the game and expansion from about five years ago, but I ended up getting us a couple Steam copies of the complete edition so I wouldn’t have to go digging through my garage to find them. I hadn’t played the game in a couple years, but it really holds up, and it is by far a much better game (for me) than Torchlight (well, the fact it has co-op sort of leaves Torchlight in the dust – so it isn’t really a fair comparrison on why I’d play this over TL), which I only single out because of its current popularity in the ARPG world. The characters/powers/classes are much more interesting and customizable, the world way more impressive and beautiful, and the monsters more to my liking.

I can’t believe I waited this long to get back into the game. If I had to choose one complaint about it, it would be that each chapter is too long.

Oddly, I’ve been on a real Depths of Peril kick lately. I say oddly, because it just happened to be a recent Steam Daily deal (which if you missed you lost out). It is really a fantastic ARPG + Strategy/Diplomacy game. I’m really enamoured with it right now. Owned it for a couple years, but I ended up diving right into Din’s Curse and never really gave it a fair shot until several weeks ago. I really can’t imagine a future where some new ARPG doesn’t steal all the ideas in this thing and remake it in some way.

I’ve been real tempted to do a write up of a playthrough. This one is really capturing my heart. It needs a sequel!

Borderlands: Bought this on a steam sale. Was worth the $7.5 (came with 4 dlc packs, I could’ve bought just the base game for $5). So far I’m having a lot of fun with it, though I haven’t bothered with multiplayer yet since I’d have to go out of my way to make some Gamespy account.

Still playing daily Spectromancer matches against my wife, we adore this game. It succeeds everywhere Magic The Gathering 2012 failed.

When we haven’t been playing Spectromancer we’ve been delving back into the beautiful world of Titan Quest, a really excellent purchase that was on sale for $5 recently. We owned a couple boxed copies of the game and expansion from about five years ago, but I ended up getting us a couple Steam copies of the complete edition so I wouldn’t have to go digging through my garage to find them. I hadn’t played the game in a couple years, but it really holds up, and it is by far a much better game (for me) than Torchlight (well, the fact it has co-op sort of leaves Torchlight in the dust – so it isn’t really a fair comparrison on why I’d play this over TL), which I only single out because of its current popularity in the ARPG world. The characters/powers/classes are much more interesting and customizable, the world way more impressive and beautiful, and the monsters more to my liking.

I can’t believe I waited this long to get back into the game. If I had to choose one complaint about it, it would be that each chapter is too long.

Battlefield 3.

Yet more Disgaea 4, primarily. Damn, rank 40 item worlds seem a lot harder than they did in 3…

Batman Arkham City for PS3 and Battlefield 3 on PC.

Dark Souls - pretty much the only thing I’ve played since it came out.

World Of Warcraft. Finally got my 14th 85!

Football Manager 2012. My yearly promise to spend less time playing it has come to naught.

The real Deus Ex sequel for the first part of the month, then a good helping of Rage (both the game and getting it to run) and a week and a half of Settlers 7 to finish off the month. Overall, a great month of gaming… it’s just a pity the DRM scared me away from Settlers for so long because it’s easily the most engaging game of its type I’ve ever played. Pure, unadulterated fun.

Dark Souls - 150 hours and still chuggin.

DXHR to completion. Best game I have played in quite some time.

Without a doubt:

Mass Effect on Hard (pouring around 40 hours in completing all side-missions and scanning).
I was disappointed that I couldn’t bang more than one girl and not any of them (ended up with the blue one).
Some of the decisions the game asked you to make were fantastic (should I wipe out a whole species or enable it to have a chance of rebuilding) but the rest was so / so.
Ended up with maxed out cash (9.999.999 credits) / maxed out omni-gel and scanned more shit than was possible (21/20 gases etc.). Game balance was out of the window after 75% of the game.
Combat was far too easy from the start (went with Ashley and Lia’ra all the time apart from the 2 missions the 2 guys wanted to be part of).

The month ended on a low with Battlefield 3 single player which was worse than CoD:BLOPS last year (and that is a kind of achievement…).

Darksiders. It’s stupid but it’s fun.

Too many games, not enough time. I splurged this month and bought/traded for a lot of AAA stuff, which is a bit silly in hindsight. I’ve not really got enough time in the budget to do them all, so could have waited for some price drops. Ah well.

Dark Souls I’m enjoying but it’s not quite as amazing experience as Demon’s Souls was. Understandable familiarity I guess, but also some questionable systems in the design, particularly the online element. I am trying to force my way through before I let myself start on Arkham City and Gears of War 3.

Battlefield 3 and the odd bit of FIFA 12 have been my online fixes. Battlefield 3 really is dynamite. I even don’t mind the SP campaign, but then I haven’t played a brainless single-player FPS in ages so it’s quite a nice change of pace. I usually only go multiplayer. It’s so much easier to kill AI than real people!

I’m also about halfway through Mirror’s Edge, which I bought ages ago for about 3 quid and started just before the glut of recent games I bought. It’s really interesting but infuriatingly flawed; for a game that’s all about finding flow and enjoying movement it’s got a really irritating propensity for throwing stupid puzzle-room cockblocks and rubbish combat in the way. Also falling in this category of games I have temporarily put aside to cope with the AAA barrage are Bastion (I’ll definitely be back), LA Noire (outstaying its welcome) and Shank (fuck the last level).

Red Orchestra 2
Rage
Battlefield 3

and in the middle a few games of CoH with a friend.

Dark Souls. Also a bit of Forza 4, but mostly Dark Souls.

Forza 4, my first foray into the series and I really enjoy it. Also, Dance Central 2 and Rockband 3. My wife and I have been on a bit of a Harmonix gaming binge last month.

Mostly work though. Been a bad month for gaming. :(

Wendelius

Way too much Mount & Blade: Warband.

For boardgames I played a lot of Betrayal at House on the Hill.