Looking for some testers for ios roguelike (The Fury Academy For Dungeoneering)

MonkeyPunky and I have been working on an iOS Roguelike called “The Fury Academy for Dungeoneering”. It’s a roguelike dungeon crawler with a card-based combat mechanism with basic similarities to poker hands. There is some information on our web site (which is woefully out of date – to much time spend coding and not enough time spent updating our marketing materials): http://wwflgames.com/fury

We’re looking for some folks that are willing to do some alpha testing. The game is fully playable with most of the core mechanics in place. The primary focus of this first alpha is bugs and basic difficulty balancing.

If you’re interested, please sign up for an account on our forums. We’re using TestFlight for app distribution, so eventually you’ll need to install that. You’ll find a link on the forums once you’re registered.

http://wwflgames.com/forums

*** Updated ***
There is now a version available via the web (you’ll need to have the Unity player installed), so if you haven’t signed up because you don’t have an iOS device, don’t let that stop you now!

For those of you that don’t hate facebook, there is some slightly more up-to-date information about the game there: https://www.facebook.com/furygame

Also, anyone who participates in the testing process will receive a free copy of the game when we go to production!

Went ahead and registered on the forums. Would love to test it out.

Great! You’re all set up on the forums, and I sent you a PM over there on how to get started.

Sure I’ll give it a go I guess.

Awesome! PM sent on our forums.

I tried to sign up but I found your CAPTCHA literally impossible to solve. Am I a Cylon? Is that how you find out?

Sorry about that Owen, it’s the default install of phpBB and this is the first I’ve heard that the captcha is difficult. I’ll see what I can do about it.

I changed it to use a challenge question instead of a CAPTCHA if you’d like to give it another shot.

So not really a whole lot of data yet but we’re currently using Lumos for analytics gathering. We’re going to try GameAnalytics next.
Here’s some basic stuff we’ve seen so far:
Classes chosen to send to a dungeon:

The warrior is pretty popular.

Classes that completed a dungeon:

Which matches for the completion data, probably not enough data to really know if any of the classes are too hard or too easy.

Average score at dungeon completion:

Seems like Rogues end up with a higher score, but still probably not enough data yet to say definitively.

Monsters that have killed players:

GiantRat is the winner. Could be because it’s a starting monster and is present in most games or maybe the debuff from the Giant Rat is too strong.

Just uploaded a new patch to Test Flight. And we’re still looking for some more folks to Alpha test, if you’re interested.

0.9.3 Patch Notes

Features:

[ul]
[li]On the phone, monsters far away from the player don’t move now during the monster turn to speed up turns (ipad still moves all monsters)
[/li][li] “Monster Turn” indicator has been made bigger and moved to the top of the screen to make it more obvious why you can’t do anything
[/li][li] Increased the size of the Monster sheet to allow more information; added more information about the monsters, including how much
[/li] damage they will do if they were to attack the hero
[li] Added text to earned badges on the win screen so you know why they were earned
[/li][li] Added version number to main screen
[/li][li] Changed the ways games are saved to be more resiliant to change.
[/li][li] Added a tutorial to explain basic gameplay[/ul]
[/li]
Bugs:

[ul]
[li] Fixed a bug with new aggro indicators where monsters that could already see you but weren’t aggressive changed to be aggressive
[/li] and the aggro indicator would not start blinking
[li] Fixed a bug where even though you would win or lose a dungeon and be taken back to the main screen, when you re-started the game
[/li] you would be back in the dungeon with no way to win.
[*] Fixed a bug where the rogue description would show the last line from other characters[/ul]

Same charts as last week (with another week of data) plus a chart about which level up perks are being selected. Nothing really new except that the disparity in completion scores between classes seems to be holding true.

Classes that players start dungeons with:

Classes that players finish dungeons with:

Scores by class at dungeon completion:

Monsters that players are dying to:

Stats that players are increasing when they level up:

Just uploaded a new patch to alpha testers:

0.9.4 Patch Notes

Features

[ul]
[li]Heroes can skip turns now via the radial menu (using this ability does not effect badges)
[/li][li]Critical Hits only do 150% damage instead of 200% damage
[/li][li]Added a level cap of level 10 for all heroes
[/li][li]Altered the way luck works and how it impacts various parts of the game[/ul]
[/li]
Bugs

[ul]
[li]Fixed a bug where monsters could die twice (you’d hear their death sound twice and two blood splats would appear)
[/li][li]Since 0.9.3 when you beat a dungeon you wouldn’t get a new town revealed on the map (oops)
[/li][li]I think I fixed the thing where you’d start a dungeon in the middle of no-where. [/ul]
[/li]
Misc

[ul]
[li]Added dungeon length and difficulty to the “menu” option in the dungeon - these will be helpful when debugging map problems
[/li][*]Coin animation will show a max of 10 animated coins (getting a lot of gold could take a long time for the animation to play)[/ul]

Are you still accepting people? I love roguelikes.

Yup, we’d love you have more folks, just need an iOS device and you’re good. Sign up for the forums and we’ll get you the instructions to get on TestFlight: http://wwflgames.com/forums

Just uploaded a new patch to alpha testers, patch notes below. Question for you folks. Would more of you be willing to participate if this were made available some other way, for example via the web (which would require the Unity plug in). We’d really love to get some more people looking at this, but I’m not really ready for any kind of open beta, I just want some folks that are willing to give some feedback on gameplay and balance.

Patch Notes, Version 0.9.5

Features

[ul]
[li]Water and lava pits are back[/li][li]Walking Squid has been removed as a monster, to make a grand re-appearance at a later date as a Boss[/li][li]Icons have been added to the Item Shop in the Academy Screen[/li][li]A few tutorial screens have been added the first time you visit the Academy Screen[/li][li]Combos has been added for 4 & 5 of a kind flushes (same face, same suit)[/li][li]Card damage and combo damage has been rebalanced, as well as monster health and defense[/ul][/li]
Bugs

[ul]
[li]Fixed a bug where monster buffs/debuff descriptions would sometimes poke off the edge of the monster description popup[/ul][/li]
*** Note, this version will reset any progress and you’ll need to go through the tutorials again ***
The rebalancing of card combo damage and monsters may have been drastic, I need feedback on how this effects gameplay, please
share anything you notice on the forums.

Thanks for playing!

That would be cool. I don’t have an iOS device.

Sounds interesting and I’ve love to help out a bit; I registered on your forums. I presume this automatically also puts me in alpha participation or is there another step?

Thanks,
Chris Woods

Yup, that puts you in the alpha, you should have a PM from me on our boards with more info.

Thanks!