X4 - Now with more flyable ships

I’m using a GTX 960 with 4GB memory. Other than an occasional very brief lockup when flying in close proximity to a station the game has been working fine for me on High settings. I’ve played about 10 hours so far. No crashes or any other problems.

Try lowering AA, it was really taxing on my computer.

Running an old I5 2500 (3.3ghz), GTX 970 and 8gb ram. Game settings are all set to HIGH, except SSAO and AA and it runs real smooth.

Hey Brian, would you recommend I figure out my HOTAS joystick for this, or old trusty Sidewinder FF 2. I bought a HOTAS as I figured I was missing out on stuff, but you seem to like the FF2 at least as much for at least some games. I should probably at least try the HOTAS I guess.

Also, is it worthwhile “catching up on the story” and, if so, what’s the best way to do so before jumping in? I played a bit of the first 2 games, but nothing since, and didn’t “finish” either.

Neither. Seriously, mouse and keyboard is best for this thing. I tried both full HOTAS and just the FF2 as well, and it just wasn’t as good.

Nah, I jumped in pretty much cold because I never got too far in the previous games.

Hey Brian, when is your podcast tomorrow?

I agree with this. The game is 50% a strategy economic game on the map anyway which requires the mouse. Passing back and forth between a joystick would drive me nuts.

Exactly, this is not a joystick-centric game. The X series never has been.

6 AM Pacific time! Ugh.

You guys are doing space combat with a keyboard? That can’t be very effective. I used a game controller, mouse, and keyboard combo. The controller to fly and do basic things, but reaching out and using hotkeys for lots of stuff as well, and grabbing the mouse for certain menus and the map and whatnot.

-Tom

The gun follows the cursor, it’s silly easy to hit things in combat.

+1. Who flies with a mouse? :P

Aye. I find the game is easier in combat with a mouse. Not harder. Point & shoot.

In this particular game, I do, because this isn’t a joystick game. Evochron is a joystick game. Elite is a joystick game. This is not. I’d put a gamepad as a better option than a HOTAS with this particular game, honestly. Freelancer has a better flight model than this thing.

Just to be clear, I was being tongue-in-cheek. People should be able to play with whatever device works for them. I gotta fly with a gamepad, even if that means switching back and forth with m/k to interact with menus.

Ask them about what the venture feature is!

Someone summarized on Reddit:

The what?

I don’t think Bernd knows how many hours there are in a week…(“hundreds”)

There are some “venture” achievemnts and some modules for the PHQ, apparently its some sort of multiplayer that its not implemented yet.

For reference: https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=182&t=403961

Yeah it works fine but I do wish there was a way to map left mouse to fire instead of right. As it stands, left mouse is needed to move the craft and it feels more clunky to me.

Yeah it feels like work. I tap the space bar instead now. I found the hold left click + click right pretty annoying.