X4 - Now with more flyable ships

The latest beta does seem to have finally fixed the war; ships are being built, resources are being used, battles are being fought. Might break again in a few hours, of course, but for now I have a real game again.

Speaking of, when I went to go verify, I also found out that you can actually watch the shipyard build large ships. The hull slowly materializes in the bay as construction progresses. Totally pointless but cool anyway.

Thanks for sharing the video.

I want to start playing, but I’m not sure if it’s patched enough yet to really play without significant issues. Maybe 1.5 will be a good time to start.

I would actually prefer the X games just go full strategy/builder mode, using the 3d engine to allow you to follow and command assets (and gawk at the space pretties), without the somewhat shallow “in the cockpit” experience.

In X3, once I established a small fleet a few hours in, I’d just end up parking my ship to focus on running my burgeoning space empire. I might as well have been sitting somewhere at my virtual space desk.

OMG I agree.

I want to know this too. I bought a freighter that had a captain with only two stars so I cant autotrade BUT I could set him to trade with the right mouse button menu from the map. I don’t know the difference. Plus it seems the right click map version is better? Not only can I trade with low level captains but it will automatically trade all wares. You have to manually set those with the autotrader. Confusing.

Also, nividium mining early will yield great returns but watch you miners for inactivity. It appears you will saturate the market and there will be no one left to sell too. I made about 15mil real early then the miners just sat there doing nothing. After that I switched them to the other ores and they started working again.

Loving the game. I hope they fill it out more.

I assume that, as in previous X Games, the planets you see are just 2D textures in the distance, right? Because in the videos I’ve seen they all look like that, and often weirdly distorted in shape, as if on the far left or right end of a CRT monitor.
At least the “space freeways” look a lot less annoying than in Rebirth.

In general, forcing the AI to trade high value wares is better, but I’m pretty sure the galaxy map option being available with no stars is a bug.

Yes they’re just part of the skybox, basically. Not sure I’m familiar with the distortion you mentioned.

As far as that distortion goes, I’m watching a Twitch stream by a guy who goes by Londongaming4fun, and who knows, it may be that he’s playing on a non 16 x 9 monitor and I’m watching it on a regular 1440p one.

The behavior options are “Default Behavior”, whereas the right-click options add tasks to your queue. In the absence of tasks in the queue, a ship will fall back on its default behavior. You need, I think, 3 stars to set autotrade as a default behavior but there is no requirement for adding it to the queue with a right click on the map. I believe this is how it works.

Edit: sorry, the quote is from @mrcjhicks. I just grabbed it from @GreasyPig’s post. Answer to both of you as far as I understand it.

@BrianRubin, I wasn’t able to catch your podcast this morning in real time. Do you have a link for it? (I did check the Space Game Junkie site, but it’s not posted yet.)

I remember in X2 you could get close to them and blow up, i never tried in the later ones.

Sure do!

The MP3 will be on the site on Thursday.

NIce! i’m 5 minutes in and must know how you swivel your head in the cockpit. I didn’t know that was possible

Numpad keys!

So 1 week for the “venture” mistery huh.

Thanks! So, I’m guessing the ability to limit the wares in auto-trades via the default behavior panel is what the star rating is gating, where as auto-trading all wares via the map is wide open to any level captain. The assumption being that the limiting of traded wares is a more advanced form of trading because the efficiency and potentially more lucrative outcome when choosing the wares to trade.

Sort of makes sense, but so hard to tell if that’s the logic intended by the game.

Info about next updates from Egosoft: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hRC4pBl7qM

Sounds right. But I’ll have to verify when I get in the game.

That’s not how videos work, unless you intentionally changed the aspect ratio. That said, Egosoft engine generally has issues with fish eye effect in the peripheral vision of your fov, it’s just the way the engine works.