X4 - Now with more flyable ships

I have heard that a lot of them do work after you have started, but I don’t know enough to answer fully. Something like VRO is going to require a new game start, but crystal finder should just “work”. @Bateau has experience doing this with his mods, so I bet he can answer more confidently.

Those should work with an existing campaign. The mod pages are usually pretty good at indicating if it requires a new save. VRO requires a new save because it changes a lot of fundamentals of the game.

Yea, I was going to stay away from VRO and the intensive ones til I finished my first campaign.

Hey JP,

Here is a list of my Workshop items, everything else is from Nexus, as @Hotfreak already pointed out:

Fly by looting and Fly by Lockbox are not the same, the first one automatically loots all inventory (but not cargo) items, the second one automatically opens lockboxes and data vaults (vaults spawn special containers that require a spacesuit to pick them up).

All mods on this list are save game compatible to my knowledge, and only those that add some kind of permanence need special steps to uninstall. One example would be the mod I added last, Equipment Modifications Redone - before you uninstall you need to dismantle mods on your ship. Everything else should be simple subscribe/unsubscribe, though Larger Asteroids will require some time for belt regen to go through before changes become visible.

I think I fucked up lol. I got to the final stages in Tides of Avarice questline and now a major faction is hostile to me, and I have only a small fleet with one destroyer, and they have like 60 fighters in a staging area. And that’s after I baited and destroyed about 20 of them at the jump gate :|.

Phew, I was able to salvage my save by loading an older Autosave.

On a very related note, how much firepower do I need to deal with a single K? I optimistically sent one Behemoth Vanguard vs it and it didn’t even chew through 1/3 of its shields before going down.

edit: I still can’t get over how cool this game can look. Can’t wait to build an actual fleet of destroyers. In this battle below it’s 2x K and 1x I vs at this point probably 8x Teladi Phoenix and my Behemoth, and Teladi are getting decimated left and right, it’s completely unreal:

What are your rig specs? I can’t get mine to look so pretty.

Ryzen 5 5600x, 3060ti, playing at 1440p. Everything is on ultra except volumetric fog, and 2x msaa.

Fantastic. Thank you!

What a comeback by the Teladi fleet! All their capitals were destroyed but their fighters did a number on the xenon cap subsystems while my lone destroyer laid down the dps from a safe distance. Meanwhile I jumped out of the system to refit my ship with plasma cannons, and did hit and run attacks along the ships’ hulls to take out turrets and such. Simply unmatched, I haven’t experienced battles like this in any space game before.

And now I’m thinking of keeping 2 plasma cannons for slow targets on my Katana, maybe along with 2 Bolt Mk2s for fighters.

Also managed to get the I’s final moments on video. And it made me realize I should install this mod:

And now back to replacing my freighters that the Xenon completely decimated in these latest attacks.

Fire and Smoke is a great mod!

The Xenon are absolutely decimating Ianamus Zura IV in my game. I think I must’ve blown up around 100 Ms and Ps in about 1h of constant dogfighting. Finally had to bail when they brought in the big guns again (Ks). I really need to get a squadron of fighters going, and buy some more destroyers, but my finances are pretty thin. What are the chances that the AI will be able to hold their own against them?

Couple highlights. Not sure if 2+2 is a good setup for Katana, though I don’t see much loss in dps against fighters, looks like the bottom guns don’t track as well in a 4x Bolt setup.

edit: Really starting to dig flying with autoroll disabled. Much better in an agile ship.

It’s not unheard of for the Xenon to destroy the sector. If they continue on to Bright Promise the Paranid will usually intervene.

Yup they are currently there - 3x Ks and one I. It’s like they are unstoppable.

Unrelated, I swapped my weapons for 4x Terran Pulse Mk2s and they are incredible as anti fighter platforms, can drop Ms in maybe 3 salvos. Loving it.

Now I really need to try my hand at production chains so I can get ship building going, ordering them through NPC shipyards is getting too costly.

I remember reading in the earlier versions of the game that the Xenons in the long run ended up conquering a large amount of sectors unless the player intervened, i don’t know if that is still the case.

I’m cleaning out my extensions folder that I’d apparently gotten a bunch of mods long long ago and am wondering if any were still necessary? Looks like I had:

• Apologize for attack (I’m guessing this is a different way to deal with friendly fire)?
  • Better scan colors
  • cslm (no clue)
  • A bunch of factions fix mods
  • Escape Teleport
  • No Super Highway
  • Trade Buy Notification

Also, does “Better Kill Credit” give you too much money or feel like a cheat?

It’s far from imbalanced. A Xenon K I believe awards 200k only, you can get more than that (and quicker) by simply trading and mining.

Should I be using MSAA or SSAA for anti-aliasing?

Park your ship somewhere in an intense area, drop speed down to 0 m/s and disable mouse steering, then try both. I was getting worse performance with SSAA on Nvidia, fwiw. But you will run into CPU bottlenecking issues waaaaay before any GPU ones. Game only uses about 6 threads of my 5600x but even those get hit really hard, easily spiking to 100% constantly and dropping the average fps. When I open a map I get pretty much flat 30 due to the simulation.