Xbox 2 revealed on MTV the week before E3

I think this next gen is going to be a pitched battle. MS will again have the superior hardware despite the PS3 Reality Distortion Field borrowed from Jobs. Now all they need to do is win over the PS2 only games makers. Why didn’t they spend some money and get some of the weird Japanese shit ported to XBox? Hell, buy Squenix, you can afford it.

Because that “weird Japanese shit” actually sells in Japan and probably couldn’t sustain itself only with American and European sales?

Xbox 2 might get more ports of that niche Japanese games but I wouldn’t expect too many exclusives.

Dave- I may be a jackass, but I get a ton of PMs from lurkers who keep telling me “Be a jackass to Dave Long!” I’d stop, but I feel I have a responsibility to the little people.

As for precedent, there are have been 4 generations of modern consoles. 2 generations were won by Nintendo, the next 2 by Sony. Nintendo lost the market when they released too late with crappy hardware. That’s the problem. Cutting the current generation short is a thin line from being last to market for the next generation.

Ben - Dave was specifically asked in this thread why he posted here. He answered.

Yes, and he could’ve told the truth about why.

He loves to cast himself as a shining knight of Microsoft-bashing, though, so now he’s not posting for himself. He’d love to not post in these threads, but he’s posting because PEOPLE TELL HIM TO.

A “shining night” of Microsoft-bashing, huh?

Whatever dude… I own 22 Xbox games, TWO Xbox systems, at least five controllers, Live, stood in line for Halo 2 on Nov.8th to get it at midnight and played it til 5AM on the 9th and all the folks I’ve played games with here at Qt3 via Live can vouch for me being a pretty ok guy I think.

The only one with an agenda here is clearly you.

–Dave

Don’t play too many sports games, huh?
[/quote]

None whatsoever. I don’t even own an XBox (too weak in the RPG arena).

So Dave, what unique and remarkable viewpoint do you bring that is so vital that OTHER PEOPLE tell you to post it if you’re just another Xbox-ownin’ and Microsoft-lovin’ fella?

Can’t play both the lone dissenter and the everyman at the same time.

[Yawn]

I know what you’re saying, but if the Xbox is the only thing not making money for MS—assuming that’s true—the Xbox is under just as much pressure. Why should MS keep it around if it’s losing money?[/quote]

Depends on how you look at the break down, but it’s not true more or less.

The other things that don’t make money at least make business sense, though – attempting to get into the lucrative enterprise market, aggressively priced development tools for Windows, that sort of things. The Xbox, which after all removes business from Windows, kind of stands out like a sore thumb…

Could it be the fact that he’s talked to retailers who are unhappy about MS’s timing? Could it be that he presents a counter to the “Nintendo SUXZ” herd? Nah… just easier to jump on his ass.

[size=2]Disclaimer: I’ve previously asked that Dave not stop posting.[/size]

How does the Xbox remove business from Windows? I sort of think the goal the of the Xbox was to remove business from Sony.

It’s a gamble, but monopolists have to expand into another market to grow. Since MS basically has free money coming in from their O/S monopoly they can fund the Xbox as a money loser for a loooong time until they’ve crushed the competition.

I think you’re forgetting that whole rigamarole with XNA.

There’s no doubt that microsofts product dominates the PC gaming market. If they can transition that leverage into another market where they actually control the hardware as well, there’s huge, huge profit potential there.

Look at the XBox hardware as a loss leader to help pay for increased windows/infrastructure penetration. It makes a lot more sense that way.

In 10-15 years it will be trivial to replace with a solid state equivalent…

…heck, that’s what I do now to retire old SCSI 1 drives hooked up to an ancient Apple II. Hello CompactFlash and homebrew board![/quote]

That’s a cool idea.

You guys really should stop riding Dave’s nuts. It’s not attractive.

Huh? Out of the bazillion and 1 things Sony sells worldwide (and probably on other planets, too), the PS2 is the only thing making them money?

I don’t see MS or Sony’s next gen consoles doing poorly. Unless Nintendo does something spectacular with theirs, all I see is a repeat of the last few years in the console world. Whether it’s the PS3 or NextBoxNext360 that comes out the “winner”, I really couldn’t care less as long as I get awesome games out of at least one of them. Hell, I’m sure I’ll end up buying all of them again because I’m a giant nerd.

Whatever dude… I own 22 Xbox games, TWO Xbox systems, at least five controllers, Live, stood in line for Halo 2 on Nov.8th to get it at midnight and played it til 5AM on the 9th and all the folks I’ve played games with here at Qt3 via Live can vouch for me being a pretty ok guy I think.

The only one with an agenda here is clearly you.

–Dave[/quote]

Anyone who can bring any combination of insight or some good points or questions to a thread should post. Anyone who can make a thread entertaining should post as well. :)

I know, I know, but they’re just so damned comfy.

Could you take your personal problems with him elsewhere, please? I, for one, like to lurk here and read about his point of view.

Bye,
Steven