Xbox 360 Backward Comp updated

Looks like MS put out another Xbox 360 update for backwards comp, because Halo 2 downloaded something new when I started it up. And Ghost Recon 2, which previously didn’t work, now does.

One question, though. Halo 2 was originally running widescreen. Now, it and Ghost Recon 2 are running in 4:3, which means that there are huge black borders on both sides of the screen. Anyone know how to adjust this?

And edit to add
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

Yeah, they added a bunch of Tom Clancy-brand games, including the Splinter Cells.

Okay, I’ll repeat the question because it’s annoying me.

Does anyone know how to force Xbox1 games to run in 720? They’re supposed to upscale automatically, and Halo 2 was running in 720 fine until I downloaded the latest update. Now it’s running 4:3, but on my widescreen, so everything looks squished together. I can’t figure out how to revert it back to widescreen.

I remain very disappointed at the lack of newer titles on that list. It makes all the sense in the world for them to support newer releases to flesh out the typically shallow launch line-up. But, instead we are not seeing that - unbelievable.

Oh crap, why didn’t you tell them sooner so they could’ve worked on that instead?!

Fuck fuck fuck, I’ve been fucking with this for over an hour tonight thinking it was something I’d done wrong.

Halo 2 looks awesome with the higher resolution and antialiasing, but it’s so incredibly annoying to be playing it in 4:3, particularly when it was running 16:9 before I downloaded the goddamn update. And I was really looking forward to trying the side-by-side splitscreen.

Bah, it’s not really backwards compatible anyway when I have to replay everything from the beginning. Fucking Microsoft and their annoying lack of consideration for those of us with their first Xboxes.

-Tom

Fuck.

Fuck?

I actually think that Microsoft is doing a pretty good job of this.

It’s going to be interesting to see how Sony handles it since they’re method last time (including the actual PS One hardware in the PS2) probably won’t work this time.

It’s the first ever “backward-compatible” console that isn’t actually backward-compatible, at least not in a meaningfully reliable way.

Some games don’t work at all, others have weird gameplay bugs, save-games don’t work, and now we’re getting weird shit like Halo 2 (the single biggest game in the history of the XB1) not working in widescreen like it should.

How is that a pretty good job?

Because there’s no easy way to do it?

They had to start from scratch. The only other approach has been to include the full system hardware. That’s the only reason PS2’s backward compability works so well.

Gary, I do think that you tend to blow up Xbox-related errors out of proportion. I’m not sure if this has always been the case but it’s certainly more noticeable now.

Well considering I thought there would be like no more than 10 titles on the list the fact they have nearly 200 is pretty impressive. Having to emulate instead of just slapping a chip on the new console like the ps2 did is a much bigger hill to climb. The effort to have even 99% backwards compatibility would probably cost far more than the number of sales they will lose by having partial compatibility. The Halo 2 thing is disapointing but perhaps it is just a bug in the emulation and they will throw out an update to fix it.

– Xaroc

yeah wtf? that is absolutely NOT doing well. GBA had trouble with a handful of GB/C games I think, and the ps2 doesnt like a few ps1 games, but the number of games that do not work on each is TINY. MS has what? less than half of the library working? is it even a 3rd?

See, I don’t care about the approach. I only care that it works. PS2 works, X360 does not work (properly). I think they should have either hard-wired a proper backward solution, or not bothered. I’m not really thrilled with this half-assed approach where you have to go online and look at a list to see if your favorite game will work or not.

• Not all games work
  • Save games don’t work
  • Some games have crippling gameplay bugs (Freedom Force)
  • Major AAA+ titles have weird issues (Halo 2)

Which of the above is in any way an exaggeration or misreprentation of the facts regarding X360 back-com*?

I think the biggest issue for me is that I just don’t feel “safe” playing XB1 games on an X360. I’d hate to play halfway through, say, GTA: Vice City and then find a weird bug where an NPC doesn’t trigger the way he’s supposed to or something, effectively halting the game right there. And then having to wait for an update which may very well erase my save files and force me to start over. I’d rather just play it on my old XB1 and know that it’s going to work on that, which rather defeats the object of having the “compatability” feature in the first place.

[size=2]

• PS I just made up “back-com”, QT3ers may feel free to use it in your own posts, if accompanied by the standard Whitta TM boilerplate.[/size]

Actually, I think you can just slap the disc in and try it. If there’s an emulator available, it will download it. If not, it will tell you there isn’t one available.

And all I’m going to say is that if you think this is bad, you should steel yourself for the bitchfest that will be “backcom” on PS3…because it’s going to be the same type of situation. :roll:

Gee I wonder why? Maybe because both of those are hardware solutions and the 360 is a software solution on top of totally different hardware. Look at emulation efforts like that one for the PS1 games on the Dreamcast. They were releasing single game emulator discs because the level of effort to emulate each one was so high.

– Xaroc

They were releasing single game emulator discs because the level of effort to emulate each one was so high.

But holy shit did they look good.

I wish I could have gotten my hands on the MGS disc before they sold them all but GT2 looks afrigginmazing when hooked up to a monitor. They did a great job on that stuff.

Well, I simply disagree with you. I think that I’d much rather have some games work than none at all. I think that given the constraints that they have they’re doing an amazing job at managing this issue for the same reasons that Xaroc does.

I think I rememer you mentioned you only had a standard resolution tv. Do you have a widescreen high def one now? Any change in opinion on the 360 graphics?

Gee I wonder why? Maybe because both of those are hardware solutions and the 360 is a software solution on top of totally different hardware. Look at emulation efforts like that one for the PS1 games on the Dreamcast. They were releasing single game emulator discs because the level of effort to emulate each one was so high.

– Xaroc[/quote]

Like Gary, I don’t care why. I don’t care if they have to cram in an xbox 1 and all it’s hardware and it makes the 360 cost $200 more and 1 foot thick- GREAT! Do it, whatever.