Xbox 360 Backwards Compatibility List Shrinking

After comparing the current list with the one transferred to an Excel spreadsheet a while back, he concluded that the following games had been excised from the master list (in its current form)—Catwoman, Codename: Kids Next Door, Curse: The Eye of Isis, NBA LIVE 2003, Sid Meier’s Pirates, and Star Wars: The Clone Wars. [UPDATE: dvdguy found a few more removed earlier—Blinx 2, FIFA World Cup 2002, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Legends of Wrestling, Rugby 2005, and Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon 2. Check out this early IGN copy of this list to run a comparison.]

–Dave

Catwoman

BACKORDER CANCELLED :mad:

It was nice marketing while it lasted…

A lot of the games suffer from some pretty bad slowdowns too. I’m playing Sands of Time on the 360 and the platforming is smooth but the framerate is horrible during most combats.

Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon 2 is my only real disappointment. The rest seem to be mainly some pretty poor/old titles.

It’s actually almost funny, Catwoman being the first title mentioned. I’d mark that up as an asset!

Just because they’ve been removed doesn’t mean they won’t be back, you know. Although I don’t think anyone will shed any tears for Catwoman.

Catwoman, Codename: Kids Next Door, Curse: The Eye of Isis, NBA LIVE 2003, Sid Meier’s Pirates, and Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

All complete and utter shite except for Pirates!.. which was better on the PC by a fair margin anyhow.

I’m interested in how Microsoft will continue improving the emulator in the coming weeks.

I really hope they don’t concentrate on improving these difficult to emulate games before moving on to improving the framerate in the supposedly backwards-compatible list they’ve already compiled.

Then again, I really wish they’d allow me to buy a fucking 360 in the first place.

I’m just upset that the only games I really want BC on (Ninja Gaiden Black, Fable: LC & GTA:SA) seem to have serious framerate issues.

Yeah, I’m dissapointed over that myself. Ninja Gaiden Black is ridiculous on the 360. As soon as two or more enemies hit the screen there’s notable slow-down.

It’s just sloppy. If they weren’t going to, or couldn’t, do it properly then they shouldn’t have bothered.

Who the hell bought Catwoman? Even for testing purposes, that sounds insane.

Any more info on what they plan to do with Backwards compat? Constant updates or what have you? I’m seriously debating picking up an original XBox since I can’t find a 360 right now anyway and the backwards compatibility seems… marginal… at best.

You know, remove the Catwoman from Catwoman and it’s really not a horrible game. The acrobatic sequences are really cool looking and entertaining and the combat system, had it been fleshed out better, was pretty well designed, just poorly executed. It did a good job of letting you fight multiple enemies at one time in a way that was a bit like The Mark of Kri.

Yes, I played through the entirety of Catwoman on the PC.

–Dave

If there are games on the original you want to play, I highly recommend you buy one.

–Dave

I got one for Phantom Dust and Ninja Gaiden (and DanceDance for my GF) and it’s been completely worth it.

MS has promised more updates but it probably won’t be anytime soon. Peter Moore stated that their “emulation ninjas” are taking a break for the time being.

MS has promised more updates but it probably won’t be anytime soon. Peter Moore stated that their “emulation ninjas” are taking a break for the time being.[/quote]

Okay… so 10 days after release with glaring problems the emulation ninjas are taking a break. Anyone not read that as “There’s been less uproar about backwards compatibility than we expected, so screw you if you wanted backwards compatibility.”?

Guess I’ll see if there’s enough XBox exclusives to justify a regular Boxen.

They can’t possibly know what the impact of backwards compatibility is on sales yet because they haven’t sold enough consoles to have a clue!

–Dave

If an X360 is worth $400, a regular Xbox is definititely worth $150.

Think of it as the “backwards compatibility pack” for the X360. (I thought they might even do something like this, a “system on a board” add-on for the X360 like that 3DO board that Creative came out with back in the day. They must be more pissed at Nvidia that I had previously believed.)

I think NVIDIA is probably just as pissed at them. :)

Of course NVIDIA is also making pretty good bank by getting their stuff in the market-leader’s console too and could care less what MS thinks.

–Dave

You know, at this point in time, MS would be better served by marketing an xbox emulator for PC.

It should be possible for the most part. Certainly easier than doing their emulation stuff for the xbox 360.

Plus, if they don’t do it, someone else will. Because that’s how I play my PSX games nowadays. By emulator. epsxe is pretty fantastic, and I can plug my ps2 controller in to my pc. Plus, free graphical upgrade.