Xbox 360 not connecting to controllers

Also, my charge and play seems to behave differently than described here. It has always worked to play with even when the control was completely dead. Also it has always worked to connect to my PC with the usb-360-wireless dongle was detached. Go figure, YMMV and all that.

Whoa, seriously? WTF. Mine definitely did not do that. Was yours a third-party one or something?

I’ve played sans-battery with the Play and Charge plugged in and it has indeed worked that way for me too on the 360…

No luck with the P&C, off to MS it goes.

Can you try this again to confirm? And try it with it hooked up to your PC? Also, it’s the official MS Play and Charge kit you have? I’m seriously confused now.

The one that came with an elite 360… not even a newer one.

I decided to try hooking up my 360 controller to my PC with the P&C kit, and after letting the new hardware wizard search the net for drivers, “The wizard has finished installing the software for: Xbox 360 Wireless Controller via Play & Charge Kit”. I did however have the wireless receiver thingamybob attached, but after I restart I’ll load up a game and see if it works.

That wizard is just installing the drivers so you can charge the controller off the PC. Mine did the same thing, but I could not play with it. Still, continue your experiment, I’m really curious here. Thanks.

k, Just checked this out.

On the 360, it worked without th battery plugged in, could control everything as well (I took pictures, if you want I will upload them but I think you can trust me at face value). It lights up as first player, and lets you control everything.

on the pc, however, when you plug it in to the pc and press the guide button, it turns on the 360. Soooo, fail that way :(

Soooooo weird.

Yeah. It even ran the controller on the 360 when it was plugged into the pc, so I’m guessing that the cord is providing enough power to the controller to get the wireless working.

It’s just like you said. Without the receiver plugged in the ring on the controller just flashes and can’t connect to anything. At least now I know I can recharge the controller without plugging it back into the Xbox.

Because the Play and Charge kit is turning it on. It just automatically turns on controllers plugged in if the 360 is on.

Would i be able to use a generic wired controller instead of a original one?