Xbox 360: Nov 4th & $299

Apparently Wal-Mart is posting signs that the Xbox 360 will be launched Nov 4th for $299.

awesome. I cannot WAIT

Is anyone going to hold out until they start selling them with HD-DVD drives? Or can you actually buy those as an accessory?

The big question is which launch titles will hit that date also.

Heh, probably the backward compatability code for Halo 2 and…uh…
But who am I kidding? I’ll buy one on day one.

Heh, probably the backward compatability code for Halo 2 and…uh…
But who am I kidding? I’ll buy one on day one.[/quote]

I know I will.

Too expensive by $100 unless there’s an absolutely killer app at launch. Then it’ll only be too expensive by $50. :)

What if there are two killer apps at launch?

What if there are two killer apps at launch?[/quote]

THEN ITS JUST RIGHT!

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but the way I justify it to myself is that a price drop probably isn’t coming any time in the first couple years (unless Sony does something absolutely crazy). If I’m going to pay $300 for it anyway when there is a killer app, I might as well go ahead and have it on day one to rock out with the amazing visualizer, or something. This kind of thinking may also be why I don’t have any money though. And my day-one Thompson drive on my Xbox should’ve probably taught me a lesson. It clearly didn’t.

What if there are two killer apps at launch?[/quote]
Then it’s too cheap by $50. This kind of math isn’t linear. Duh!

I’m sure many of you will buy and thoroughly enjoy your shiny new toys, and I will no doubt be green with envy. But I’ve got a big stack of unplayed games for my PS2, GameCube, GBA, and PC that suggests I just don’t have the time any more to make the time/money ratio worth $300 plus $50 per game.

Can you elaborate on “apparently”? :)

Is this based off a story somewhere, or something you saw or heard?

Well I heard that in a responce to Wal Mart target has signs for it for 199 and it will be launched on October 4th. Its a big fuck you to walmart so I hear.

Can you elaborate on “apparently”? :)

Is this based off a story somewhere, or something you saw or heard?[/quote]
There’s a 5 page thread on IGN’s Xbox 360 boards talking about it.
http://boards.ign.com/Xbox_360_General_Board_/b8266/

I’d personally like to check them out but I’m not going to subscribe to IGN Insider just to access their crappy forums.

yeah, I want to read it too, but uh, no

Yeah I dont care that much.

You’re obviously not one of those early adopters that will buy anything brand new no matter what, I mean that was the Phantom’s business model right?

Accessory - not a chance. It’s not constructed for the drive to be removable (which would pose all sorts of size problems, warranty issues, etc.).

I’m sure it’ll appear in a future Xbox 360, solely for movie playback. The games will probably all be required to be on DVD-9, which honestly I don’t think will be that big a deal. Even in the next gen, nine gigs is plenty for even content-heavy games.

No, admittedly I’m not.

Accessory - not a chance. It’s not constructed for the drive to be removable (which would pose all sorts of size problems, warranty issues, etc.).

I’m sure it’ll appear in a future Xbox 360, solely for movie playback. The games will probably all be required to be on DVD-9, which honestly I don’t think will be that big a deal. Even in the next gen, nine gigs is plenty for even content-heavy games.[/quote]

That’s true. I guess only time will tell if next-gen consoles will be really influential in deciding the winner of this format war. Though with the PS3 launching with blu-ray support from the start, whereas X360 early adopters will be out of the format loop, it seems Sony will have the upper edge blu-ray support, assuming the PS3 reaches the level of penetration of the PS2.