Xbox Game Pass & new MS game store app - PC thread

They were supposedly literally xbone S consoles to start. But who knows?

Code Vein on PC would’ve been nice a month ago.

I’ll definitely play Wreckfest the next time I subscribe.

I tried out Unto The End off GP today on a lark. It’s a 2d cinematic side-scroller, ala Out of This World and the like. I uninstalled it after roughly 20 minutes. It has a warning at the beginning about how it’s about playing deliberately, and doesn’t hold your hand or some such. I started it and very quickly got stuck in an area/room I couldn’t find my way out of, given my limited options. So I figured I’d missed something and started over. Got to the same point, same problem. I ended up just jumping around (one of the only options you have), and ended up crashing through a floor. Ok, I can advance now. The tunnels down there were super dark, though, even with my torch, and I quickly ended up in another similar spot that I couldn’t advance any more. I faffed about for ten minutes, until my torch went out. Never found any way out, still couldn’t see shit. Uninstalled.

Having fun with Wreckfest. I’ve spent plenty of time in racing sims like iRacing, AC, rFactor2 etc but Wreckfest is just plain old laugh out loud hilarious. When I joined the lawnmower race… wait, I won’t spoil it for y’all. Well worth the download if you like cars, racing, demolition derby, or ever said “rubbin’s racin!” lol.

Got part way into Desperados and then hit a point where I forgot to save and screwed up and got reset back to the start of that level and quit. They tell you to save often. They told me to save often. I was saving often. But then I got involved and forgot to… save often. Will definitely get back to it though. Liking it better than the Samurai one on a mechanical basis, though I liked the overall theme of the Samurai game.

They’ve had a fair number of games I was definitely interested in on there of late, getting my $$ worth for sure.

We are in vigorous agreement, DQ!

Started on Code Vein - I was hoping for something like Monster Hunter but apparently it’s more “Dark Souls” (I guess that’s the God Eater series). They do have the enormous greatswords though so that’s a plus. Story is OK, it’s trying for a drama but the dialogue is mostly coming across awkward - not sure if it’s translation or delivery.

Not sure if I actually like the Soulslike mechanics - this “you lose all your progress if you die” but you can go back and pick it up usually just means that I run there, pickup the dropped thing then die again to whatever that encounter is and I have to keep doing this until I figure out how to pass that encounter because that drop keeps getting bigger. Especially if it’s one of those wave mini boss fights tons of mobs…although I’ve had a lot more luck now that I’ve started using halberds and their big AOE swings.

Also saw a new final fantasy was up - is this one of the good ones?

Looked a bit dated to me. 75 critic reviews give it an 86 average…

(There are 13 reviews for the PC version giving it an 83 average.)

It’s good if you enjoy Real Time with Pause combat. I’m not a fan of that particular style, so I was only playing through that part to get to the next story part, but it’s a huge game with a LOT of Real Time with Pause combat. A LOT. So if you don’t enjoy that part, I wouldn’t recommend it. But if you enjoy that part, I think you’ll love it. I was a huge fan of FF X, so I got FF XII right away on PS2, but eventually I gave up after around 40-50 hours. I enjoyed the story bits and the world and even the characters somewhat, but eventually I just realized that 90% of my time was being spent in combat that I didn’t enjoy.

I’m not sure it’s really what most consider real time with pause. The main idea is the gambits and sort of creating an AI for the characters to act on their own. Though you can obviously pause and jump in to do whatever. I’m only maybe 15-20% into it but the battles are pretty fun as you can just set and go for the most part. And I’m not super into toying around with the gambits.

I mentioned this in the Squadrons thread, but figured it’s worth pointing out here - Star Wars Squadrons and Madden 21 will be coming to EA Play and therefore Xbox Game Pass in March:

Note that this does not apply to PC, since so far the PC EA Play equivalent isn’t part of Game Pass yet (and as best I can tell still has no arrival date).

Wasn’t Squadrons already there? I played through the first couple missions on Xbox, and definitely didn’t buy it.

It was only the first couple of missions. EA Play offers trials to their latest games upon release.

Also remember that on console it’s only Ultimate which gets EA Play, not the base $10/month console game pass.

Embrace the insanity. Dont play it like most driving games. Rubbing is racing, Sent them flying off the track because Brian is right. The AI is mean and holds grudges. Tracks with crossovers are my favorite. The straight up destruction derby races are my least but still fun at times. I’m not great at straight racing games but I can beat the shit outta the competition in this one :)

Some pretty big games are dropping off Game Pass soon, namely The Witcher 3. Last call folks, you don’t have to go home but you can’t stay here -

By the way, I do recommend Astrologaster if you haven’t tried it. It’s pretty short and very amusing.

Heh, I already own 3 copies of the witcher 3 I think… I wonder if I should play through it a bit on the series X before it goes.

Heh, too bad it wasn’t on long enough to get the ray-tracing update to try that out. But I did see that the loading times are much improved on the Series consoles- almost too well, as it can cause a temporary camera glitch because it loads so fast.

I noticed Elite:Dangerous in on GP now.

Ya, I’ve thought about downloading that too. I played it a while back, and it was cool for a while (after I got the hang of it and realized that you basically can’t turn at all if you’re going at high speeds), but it eventually got repetitive.

Some of the new features they’ve added since might spice it up.

I also have the Falconeer loaded, but I havent’ started it yet.

And I’m back into Destiny 2, which is sucking up all my gaming time.

Gamepass has too many games I want to play.

Such a cool concept with neat lore, and I really like the art. But the gameplay… boooooorrrrrring.

I can’t totally disagree. I liked it and enjoyed my time playing back when it came out, but by then end I was ready for it to be done. That said, it wasn’t terribly long, either.

I really should load up D2 to see what’s been going on since I last played a couple years ago (post-Forsaken, pre-Moon whatever)